The OCD goes too far sometimes... by Mad-Monkey (Page 1 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mad-Monkey
I had some bits and pieces collecting, and have been making them look neater than Rover ever did. Just a tease of what I've been doing really, I'll post up everything when it's well under way...

Before...

Rough, sloppy looking edges, and general untidyness. However, does anyone ever look at their door catches? :) Bet you will now!

After...

Edges cleaned, surfaces flatted down, with a bit of shaping to improve the aesthetics (which is only noticeable side by side :) )

This is only primer, and I'm well aware of chipping and scratches when the lock hits it etc... I do have a plan, kind of, maybe...

There's still some rough spots if you look closely but I think I'll get away with that in the final coats :)

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 12:05 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
So, it is possible to make a silk purse out of a Sows ear. :)

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 12:27 #2 

Jumper
Are these the items mentioned in your previous post that were cooked along with the leg of lamb?

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 12:31 #3 

Mad-Monkey
No these are different lol

I gave up with the cooking, it was far too time consuming, I had a look around for some better paint and found the Halfords stuff is way easier and just as good, no primer, no heating. Three weeks of trial and error for a job that took 30min in the end! Live and learn I suppose :)

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 12:38 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Mick wrote:So, it is possible to make a silk purse out of a Sows ear. :)

Depends how much time and effort you want to plough into things I suppose. Sad thing is I don't even have a car for these to fit on to. I will soon enough though, so I can pick things up on the cheap and meddle to my hearts content up until then :)

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 12:41 #5 

Bermudan 75
I think there is a catch to this topic, :lol:

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 12:57 #6 

takestock
you are going to be so annoyed when you close your door and open it again to see where the catch has scratched the paint off ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 13:58 #7 

PaulT
Hard chroming could be the answer - for a while
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 14:19 #8 

Mad-Monkey
takestock wrote:you are going to be so annoyed when you close your door and open it again to see where the catch has scratched the paint off ;)

Lazy lock and vent active, use window for entry and exit, simples!

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 14:49 #9 

RhodieBill
I beg to differ.....

Although not as 'spick & Span' as your painted ones, I don't think mine look too shabbly.
And before you say anything, I just opened the doors and took these.

Ciao....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 15:05 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Yeah but you got rough edges :gmc:

If you look at the front edge I've filed it smooth, flattened them out to give a sharper appearance. It was a job of aesthetics to personal preferences, everyones going to have different ideas and tastes. I bet 99% of people don't even look at them in the first place :) I can sleep easy knowing mine are looking sharp :-D

My OCD would have yours whipped off and in for the same treatment.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 16:35 #11 

RhodieBill
Yes, I see your point...... But then again yours did look decidedly worse for wear for some reason......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 17:35 #12 

Mad-Monkey
Probably because they were covered in dirt, I salvaged them from the scrappy. Should have done some progress shots as I did them as clean they looked a lot like yours. They would polish up really well if you liked the polished metal look but I'm putting them on a ZT which will hopefully be a light colour, so trying to avoid chrome and polished metal. Although that idea will probably change again at some point. :)

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 17:45 #13 

Bermudan 75
I wonder if this mod will catch on? :lol:

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 18:09 #14 

Duncan
One piece at at time, one piece at a time...

(Johnny Cash)

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 18:10 #15 

Mad-Monkey
How many puns can you get in Mike? :-D

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 18:16 #16 

Duncan
Monk wrote:How many puns can you get in Mike? :-D

Only one, just a number of times....

:gmc:

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 18:20 #17 

Jumper
For future refrence:
When I renewed my discs and pads I wanted to prevent the usual rusting up of the exterior surface of the h'brake drums on the rears. They always look awful. So before I installed the rears I painted the drums (and the calipers (off the car) with 'alu-chrome' from PHD The Spray Shop, Aston Road, Bromsgrove B60 3EX. Apparently it's heat resistant to 600 deg. and 90% aluminium, not needing undercoat. Been on now months and still bright and shiny.
Sorry to hijack, seems opportune.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 18:48 #18 

Tourerfogey
Reproducing them in Stainless Steel is the way to go . . . .

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 19:05 #19 

Jumper
Oh joy! What about anodised body colour.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 19:20 #20