The OCD goes too far sometimes... by Mad-Monkey (Page 2 of 2)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Duncan
Tourerfogey wrote:Reproducing them in Stainless Steel is the way to go . . . .

Stainless brake discs? Wonder why know one thought of that.

:rah:

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 19:23 #21 

RhodieBill
Motorbikes have stainless discs.....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 21:31 #22 

RhodieBill
And Asbestos based Brake Pads were great - Discs never needed replacing!!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 21:32 #23 

Tourerfogey
Duncan wrote:

I was referring to the door latches.

Stainless steel is not generally used for brake discs because it offers less frictional resistance than 'ordinary' steel, therefore stopping distances would be increased.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 22:14 #24 

Duncan
Tourerfogey wrote:
Duncan wrote:

I was referring to the door latches.

Stainless steel is not generally used for brake discs because it offers less frictional resistance than 'ordinary' steel, therefore stopping distances would be increased.

Yes, that's why I ran and hid. Sorry the smiley didn't work here, though.

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 22:28 #25 

SpongeBob
Duncan wrote:Yes, that's why I ran and hid. Sorry the smiley didn't work here, though.

You would be wanting one of these smilies then:- :gmc: Which is written :gmc: or even :scared: Which is :scared:

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 22:30 #26 

Jumper
Just had a scary thought. Reference my earlier post about painting discs.... I suppose absolutely no-one would possibly dream of painting the friction area. Would they?

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 14:41 #27 

PaulT
Jumper wrote:Just had a scary thought. Reference my earlier post about painting discs.... I suppose absolutely no-one would possibly dream of painting the friction area. Would they?

Possibly - there are some very strange and idiotic people in this World.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 15:20 #28 

Mad-Monkey
It's a shame, I quite fancy black discs :)

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 15:51 #29 

Jumper
PaulT wrote:
Jumper wrote:Just had a scary thought. Reference my earlier post about painting discs.... I suppose absolutely no-one would possibly dream of painting the friction area. Would they?

OK then, just by way of a nod to Elf & Safely (oh, yes, and also a firm disclaimer):
When using any product whatsoever near your brakes/discs/calipers do not allow any lubricants/paints/other products to contaminate the friction area i.e. the parts that come into contact with the brake pads/shoes. It is more important to stop when you want to than continue to proceed when you don't.

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 16:35 #30 

Tourerfogey
Jumper wrote:
PaulT wrote:

OK then, just by way of a nod to Elf & Safely (oh, yes, and also a firm disclaimer):
When using any product whatsoever near your brakes/discs/calipers do not allow any lubricants/paints/other products to contaminate the friction area i.e. the parts that come into contact with the brake pads/shoes. It is more important to stop when you want to than continue to proceed when you don't.

I am consulting my lawyer to see if there's a loophole in your statement - if he finds one, I'm taking you for every penny you've got . . . :D

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 18:38 #31 

takestock

Passed your idea on to a friend of mine, he works in a small garage in Emmerdale, said he was going to try it on the Landrover today, will let you know how it goes :) :gmc:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 18:49 #32 

Jumper
Tourerfogey wrote:
Jumper wrote:
PaulT wrote:

I am consulting my lawyer to see if there's a loophole in your statement - if he finds one, I'm taking you for every penny you've got . . . :D

Buona Fortuna with that, it won't take long. Anyway, it's all in an offshore hidy-hole. Canvey Island.

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 19:36 #33 

Jumper
takestock wrote:

Passed your idea on to a friend of mine, he works in a small garage in Emmerdale, said he was going to try it on the Landrover today, will let you know how it goes :) :gmc:

That's alright, but only if that bird with the looonnnggg blonde hair comes looking for it and definately not her dad.

Posted 16 Feb 2012, 19:39 #34 

Bermudan 75
Knowing your luck you will get Edna. :scared:

Posted 17 Feb 2012, 08:41 #35 

Jumper
Well, every cloud..... That hat would make a great sump-oil catcher.

Posted 17 Feb 2012, 12:07 #36 

carlpenn
Looking good there, I was wondering if you could Polish them at all? To make them shiny, or is that too much work or not possible with that particular part?
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 17 Feb 2012, 19:49 #37 

DeuxGazoles
I've just fitted a set of genuine VAG discs to my dad's Skoda & they were painted all over, it only takes a couple of applications to have the friction surface down to the metal again but the centres & edges remain nice & silver
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 17 Feb 2012, 20:41 #38 

takestock
no need to get all serious on us :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 17 Feb 2012, 20:48 #39 

Mad-Monkey
carlpenn wrote:Looking good there, I was wondering if you could Polish them at all? To make them shiny, or is that too much work or not possible with that particular part?

Certainly doable. If you wanted a complete blemish free finish it would be tough, the paint does hide a lot, it really transforms them. I think I'd be happy with the part I have now polished if I could clean the weld up better.

Posted 17 Feb 2012, 21:01 #40