The New Look by SpongeBob

• Related topics: (no related topics)

SpongeBob
Well folks, by now you've all noticed we've done a spot of decorating around the place to brighten things up. There is reason for this spring-clean so let me explain why we've done it and what we've done ;)

It's all thanks to you - our members

Over the past months we've been monitoring your activity on the board and more specifically which links you click and how you interact with elements on the page. Now whilst that might not sound particularly exciting it does mean we got a pretty good idea of what you were getting out of the last website design and we came the conclusion that we could do more for you and this website could do a lot better!

So this new design is all about getting the stuff we all write about every day (the content) to you with minimal fuss and perfect ease. All the features you know and love have been refined and everything's been redesigned from the ground up to make your use of the board as easy and enjoyable as possible.

What's new? I can't find x feature or y button?

Most of the changes are simple re-positioning where things are or moving less important features to other areas of the website this means that every function or button you knew is actually still here but it may now either be wearing a different set of clothes or maybe just moved somewhere else ;)

One of the biggest issues we felt was how phpBB (our forum software) labelled two buttons - "View Unread Posts" and "View New Posts". We understood that for those of you used to vBulletin Boards the "View New Posts" was the most intuitive button to click if you wanted to see what new content had been posted but unfortunately it did not produce the desired results. Instead the "View Unread Posts" performed this task and the "View New Posts" only showed you what had been posted recently - not necessarily everything that had been updated or added since you last logged on.

To address this issue the brand-new "What's New" button at the top of every page now shows you every topic that contains a post you haven't read. For some of you this may produce a large list the first time you use it but if you wish to clear the list and start afresh, then go to the main page (http://www.75ztcommunity.co.uk) and towards the bottom in the right-hand edge you'll see a "Mark Forums Read" button - click this to reset every post as read.

Along with consolidating this feature we've also added a few more functions to make life even easier:-

More space to the posts!
We've give more space to your posts and made the content even easier to read with overall larger font sizes and removing clutter out of the way. Now your post stands out so you can get on with the important stuff - reading and writing!

Intelligent Profiles
Quite often you might want to check out someones profile but you don't want to be taken away from the topic you're reading. Now if you click on a username anywhere on the board a pop-up box gives you the juicy important information about a user. For a more detailed in-depth profile, follow the link towards the bottom-left of this pop-up box to the users profile page.

Posting New Topics
At the base of every forum you'll see a "Post New Topic" box, this provides a basic text editor allowing you to quickly post a new topic into that forum. Click on the "Full Editor" button if you wish to access more features such as smilies, attachment uploads or poll options and so on.

Reply to a topic
Similar to the posting of a new topic, when you click to reply to a topic you'll be taken to the very last page of the topic (if it has more than one page) and to a simple text editor thus allowing you to quickly reply to a topic. Again, click on "Full Editor" for more functions. NB: If the topic only has one page of posts, or you are on the last page of posts in a multi-page topic, this text editor will appear at the end of the posts

More emphasis on announcements
When viewing an announcement, the first post (i.e. the announcement itself) is given a special full-width highlighted box to help it stand out. Every other post appears as normal underneath ;)

Changing the text size
Now you can change the size of the text of the page using the button found towards the right-hand edge of the main (dark blue) navigation bar at the top of every page. Once the text size has been adjusted the website will remember your setting for every subsequent page you visit :D (NB: Cookies required)

Re-Order the forums!
Now we're giving more power to you! If you wish you can drag-and-drop the order of how the list of each category of forums appear. This allows you to drag those categories you are most interested in towards the top of the list for easier access every time you visit. (NB: Cookies required, settings stored on a per-computer basis so if you use more than one computer you'll have to order the forums for each computer separately)

Multiple Languages
We'll also be implementing native French and German language support for our fellow Europeans. This allows those of you who wish to change the wording of the buttons and messages into French or German. To access this feature visit your user control panel and under "Board Preferences" you should see an option for language. Change is and click submit. Please note this DOES NOT change the content of posts and can only change the messages and buttons generated by our website software.

Intelligent Topic Titles
Now when you hover over a topic title with your mouse cursor you will get a little short preview of the opening post of that topic!

We've also made clicking on a topic title even more intuitive. Now, if a topic contains unread posts when you click on the topic you'll be taken straight to the first unread post. If the topic does not contain any unread posts, you'll be taken to the first opening post. This is how most people viewed topics and after you start using it it makes perfect sense :) Don't forget that the icons next to the topic titles always tell you information about a topic - blue icon for unread posts, grey icon for all-read ;)

If you've posted in a topic we've now got a little blue star that sits near the topic title that indicates to you that you've posted in a topic :)

Of course - any questions then shout up and we'll be happy to help out! So, there you go folks! Go enjoy!

Posted 29 Apr 2011, 11:11 #1 

WillyHeckaslike
Like the changes. The stronger colours makes it much easier for those of us who need reading glasses to read and to navigate. :thumbsup:

Posted 29 Apr 2011, 15:01 #2 

Samarkand
Love the new look, the fonts, etc, but why such a short login timeout?
By the time I started to type this short message till the time I clicked on "Submit" I had to login 3 times (I do not want to tick the "Remember Me" button on this computer for obvious reasons ;)
Majed
I miss you a lot Samarkand!

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 07:53 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
There isn't a login time out Majed. :confused:

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 11:15 #4 

Samarkand
Hi Mick,
Why do I have to log in many times to stay logged in if I do not tick the "Remember Me" box?
Maybe I need to tweek something to my computer (company computer)?
Majed

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 11:51 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
I have just double checked. The session login time out is set to 30 minutes.
Must be something on your browser.
You could use the keep me logged in option and just clear cookies when you have finished as a work around.

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 11:57 #6 

Samarkand
Ok I will, thanks mick :)
Majed

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 12:10 #7 

raistlin
OK,

How do you edit a PM which you've sent but which hasn't yet been viewed by the recipient please?
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 15:42 #8 

Mick
(Site Admin)
By clicking on the "edit" function.
This message is in my outbox awaiting collection.

Screen shot 2011-04-30 at 17.33.34.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 16:41 #9 

raistlin
Found it Mick. Not in the same place as your illustration but.. oh well, as long as it's there, somewhere :)
Paul

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 16:54 #10 

JohnDotCom
Mick is using Safari and you are most probably using IE Paul.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 16:55 #11 

raistlin
JohnDotCom wrote:Mick is using Safari and you are most probably using IE Paul.

IE?????????? Wash your mouth out young man :lol:

I'm using Firefox 4
Paul

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 17:04 #12 

Dallas
I get the time log-out problem when I'm using Opera, but when using Google Chrome I can stay logged in with no problem. :-D

Posted 30 Apr 2011, 18:23 #13 

Samarkand
I also tried to make a post from my home computer, and I get a logged off message also. I am using IE8 at home and at the office. (now I am at home trying so)
By the time I wrote the above lines and clicking submit, I had to log in twice so far :confused:
Majed

Posted 01 May 2011, 17:56 #14 

raistlin
I now apparently have (minus) -1 unread messages in PMs.

How can I sort this out please?
Paul

Posted 01 May 2011, 22:23 #15 

Mick
(Site Admin)
We have no control over or access to users PM's.
Is it preventing you from using the PM system?

Posted 02 May 2011, 08:56 #16 

raistlin
I just sent myself a PM and as a result the problem has cleared Mick :)
Paul

Posted 02 May 2011, 10:19 #17 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Good show, thanks

Posted 02 May 2011, 10:36 #18 

Tim
All looking good. :)

Posted 08 May 2011, 09:33 #19