Temp Work by JakeWilson

JakeWilson
Thought posting up would be worth a shot.

Have busted a gut to get back to the UK, to be told at the last minute that there's no funding for some temp work I'd planned/needed to do, instead of having told me this weeks ago, when I could have found something else. For those who don't know, I am a student.

Couldn't come at a worse time, as I've been sent a 400 quid bill from NPOWER for a student house I used to live in, having gone seperate ways with the people I used to live with. On top of everything else I've got to pay for.

Appreciate that there's not many people in Lincs, but even if anyone hears of anything some distance away that came with possibility of some digs, I'd certainly be interested.

Cheers for reading, this quite bizzare request.

Jake

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 02:39 #1 

Dave
Without wanting to sound like taking the Michael, I would pay you if you could fix my F.B.H, fit my inline stat, and pop the memory bits into my drivers seat! (as long as you weren't charging garage rates of course!)

So it's possible that you could use your vast amount of knowledge/accumulated skills on Rover 75s and MG ZTs to do jobs for other people like me, who although they probably could do these jobs, would't trust themselves!

OK, it's perhaps going against community ethos of helping each other out, but on the other hand, we could be helping you by letting you help us for a small fee... Just a thought!

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 10:26 #2 

Dave
(NB: In post above I put F.B.H as when I typed it without full stops, it automatically changes to FBH (Fuel burning heater.), which although helpful, looked a little incongruous in the context of my reply to Jake!)

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 10:28 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
All the most common acronyms carry the explanation the first time they appear in a topic.

As for Jake charging for his services....... why not? I'd happily pay someone like him to carry out a repair or upgrade.

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 12:13 #4 

Dave
Mick wrote:All the most common acronyms carry the explanation the first time they appear in a topic

Not a problem Mick, it's just that in this context it looked a bit odd! :mrgreen:

Mick wrote:As for Jake charging for his services....... why not? I'd happily pay someone like him to carry out a repair or upgrade.

Wonder what Jake will think?

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 12:32 #5 

Zeb
Methinks Jake is in a position where he cannot afford to not charge for his services - much as he may like to do so....

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 13:33 #6 

JakeWilson
Evening Gents,

My apologies for the delay in replying and thank you for the incredibly kind words of support. :-)

Considering that there is a relative lack of 75/ZT support over this neck of the woods, the thought had crossed my mind and once I am back in Lincs indefinitely, then certainly something I may look to do.

However, my sole worry about charging for services currently is the comeback if there are any issues/accidents/damage etc, as although it's highly unlikely, should it happen there could be real issues, unlike the kind of gentlemans agreement that there is say at a nano.

I also will admit that the oily side of things (and FBH's I am not that good at, but more odd things like highline instalations, interior and seat work and odd jobs I can do.

I am however more than happy to continue helping people out with jobs (Dave, drop me a PM about your seat!) and hope to be able to help out many in the 7 or so weeks I am over. As it stands currently, I cannot offer a mobile service, but will operate out of my current digs in Lincolnshire, where I can assure there'll be a good supply of tea and biccies and with enough notice, Cake. (Contact Zeb for reports on the cakes!)

Naturally if anyone wishes to donate funds for work carried out, they will be met with sincerest of gratitude! :-)

Posted 14 Feb 2012, 18:59 #7 

Dave
I was just about to post on this thread and ask if anyone knew if you might have already found a job, as you seemed to have gone AWOL! ;)

As far as a worry about comeback is concerned, this had crossed my mind. I can see why you might be worried, but let me state here that I'd have no issue letting someone like yourself work on my car as I would trust you implicitly. For those that might have issues, could I suggest some sort of mutually signed disclaimer? As long as you weren't charging so much that you were within a spit of garage prices, then I think most people should accept an element of "risk"

Hope this helps!

Posted 14 Feb 2012, 19:08 #8 

JakeWilson
Thanks Dave, certainly food for thought.

Drop me a PM at some point and we'll sort a date. I can certainly do your seat for you that's not an issue. I'll admit now that the FBH's are a complete dark art to me as well as the inline stats. I've also got your cubby hole covers!

Posted 14 Feb 2012, 23:36 #9 

Zeb
Inline stats are a ten - fifteen minute job from what I have seen...

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 07:46 #10 

PaulT
Nothing ventured nothing gained
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 15 Feb 2012, 11:12 #11