Sticky Stuff! by Chartermark

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Chartermark
I had a door protector kit (self adhesive), to fit.

See it harmless and inert here ...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-200-400-600 ... 3a5f305047

Feeling confident I went to work and soon got the first member on perfectly, first shot, - but upside down!

Then managed to drop it and within this diversion, it collected dust, detritus and other debris. I cleaned this off, so the previously adhesive surface is now squeaky clean - but unsticky!

When my door finishers were put on two years ago, I remember Colin (CFS75 on Radio Caroline) applying silicone to attach them. I seem to recall that if ever a reversal was needed, the silicone would not damage the paint if removed with the correct solvent?

I still have some silicone left and wondered if anyone could advise whether in applying this to the now 'unsticky protector' would it ultimately be removable? Of course without damage to the door's paintwork, should its attraction diminish, endeavour weaken, or utility diminish: and it goes the way of today's venture, but at the direction of the almighty's influences, rather than my internecine fumblings?

I suppose revealing my 'o' level in chemistry, a lot of my question addresses the composite of the two surfaces.

Indeed this could apply to lots of additions, badges, number plates etc. In short what sticks what to what and with out changing the original surfaces - a catalytic adhesive I suppose?

Anyone know what the original 'peel off' substance that I managed to mess up is anyway? It plays quite a part in my life from cup hooks and shower curtain rails, to new credit card issue letters, this substance is highly prevalent.

For me, already physically re-arranged, and now seemingly stricken with bio rhythmic disruption, the need for remedy may become increasingly necessary ...

answers on a postcard please ...

Posted 18 Oct 2010, 23:59 #1 

Duncan
Not entirely sure what was on your protectors, but there's double sided sticky stuff available that is similar. You can buy it as tape (the most common) or in sheets. I can't say where you can get the sheets from, though unfortunately.

I guess that there are a number of different tapes, some of which will survive outdoors on a car, some not. The stuff I use came from a sample pack from Scotch, twenty years ago, so no idea where you can get hold of it these days.

Posted 19 Oct 2010, 07:00 #2 

Mad-Monkey
How about using the number plate fixing kits from Halfords and the likes? If you get one for a flat front, not curved, the pads are thinner and you could cut them and place strategically on the finisher. A gentle prising would get them off if needed, and you could clean the paint up work quite easily with tar remover.

Posted 19 Oct 2010, 07:53 #3 

Chartermark
Thanks, David and Duncan,

I have purchased the 'number plate' fixers used by Halfords from ebay, I'm grateful David for the suggestion. I had a feeling that silicone application to the composite the buffer is made of might well cause it to break down?

Thanks chaps,

Martin

Posted 19 Oct 2010, 12:45 #4 

kandyman
You could always try the sticky pads that you use if you need to re-stick the rear view mirror and cut it to the required size.

Posted 19 Oct 2010, 16:46 #5 

Gren 24
A bit late for you Chartermark,but may be handy for some one else.

I used foam mounting tap 19mmx1.5m from B&Q at £2.98. Used it to stick my 2 Ltr Torpedo's on,The My 75 Tourer has had the high pressure washer on it a few times and they are stuck on fast. ( you watch now I have said that)

Posted 20 Oct 2010, 18:04 #6 

Chartermark
Thanks Gren,

You've reminded me, that I'd seen this a few months ago when I was making a purchase at our local B&Q. Next time I'm in I'll get some anyway, I'm sure it will come in useful and it's very cheap!

Posted 20 Oct 2010, 21:48 #7