Spitfire Mk75 cockpit by geesmith

• Related topics: (no related topics)

geesmith
I thought Geoff Wellum DFC might like one of these.....
Spitfire Mk75 Cockpit.JPG

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 18 Sep 2010, 22:25 #1 

starbug2
looks interesting 8-)

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 08:46 #2 

geesmith
Just the auto dipping mirror mod to do...oh and check the in tank pump BEFORE take off. ;) (yes, the MK75 is a diesel)

Notice he's chosen chocks instead of the handbrake...........(due to the single tiny back wheel)

Pre flight checks....Spitfire MK75

count wings
indicator switch on
undercarriage selector down
FUEL 36 gallons in lower tank
Check seat adjustment after SWMBO trip to Supermarket
All flaps and ailerons fully responsive, rudder fully functional
Rudder bias trim fully right
elevator trim one division nose down
align DG to runway, make preliminary 'ignore compass' check
groundcrew attach accumulator check
air pressure okay
brakes on
fuel on
uncover starter and boost coil buttons
magneto switches off
throttle half inch open
speed control fully forward
idle cut off fully aft
wobble pump to pressurise fuel lines ..check warn light is out
7 strokes of primer pump
both ignition switches on contact
stick hard back (to avoid tunneling)
check for magneto drop
engine run up satisfactory
fuel warn light off
check chocks away ...mirror, indicate
brakes off
throttle forward
try not to zig zag on the rear castor...
did we lock the door? :rolling:

At 25,000 feet check that wing hides the whole of SE England.......check fuel pressure, ignore compass....look for dead pixels on the horizon

edit for mis-spelling several times
check laptop keyboard is fully functional.....FAIL

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 09:05 #3 

Last edited by geesmith on 19 Sep 2010, 10:14, edited 4 times in total.

starbug2
geesmith wrote:Just the auto dipping mirror mod to do...oh and check the in tank pump BEFORE take off. ;) (yes, the MK75 is a diesel)

Notice he's chosen chocks instead of the handbrake...........(due to the single tiny back wheel)

nowt wrong with a diesel , apart from iffy themo :hissyfit: :panic:

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 09:13 #4 

Duncan
geesmith wrote:Just the auto dipping mirror mod to do...oh and check the in tank pump BEFORE take off. ;) (yes, the MK75 is a diesel)

Walnut chocks, of course.

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 09:24 #5 

geesmith
Walnut chocks - check

are we the fair weather meet support team...lol

got dampened walking the dog and then didn't fancy Woodhead pass.....shame on me, okay, I'm over it now. :lol:

Posted 19 Sep 2010, 10:20 #6 

James.uk
Erm, it's either Woodhead, or the Snake Pass Glynn.. No Woodhead Pass I'm afraid.. But at 25,000 ft I doubt that would matter.. :lol:

I normally choose to go over Woodhead to avoid Sheffield, but neither route is nice in bad weather.. Pretty routes on a sunny day though.. :)

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 01:00 #7 

Duncan
There is one thing to not, pointed out to me today:

That's a VDO instrument pack in the Spitfire. Made in?

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 17:44 #8 

geesmith
the fatherland? Dad would be furious.... so why didn't they just stop supplying us as flying by the seat of the pants wasn't an option as that part of yer apparel was buried in yer parachute.....

....sorry, didn't mean to mention being buried in yer parachute :o

....twice...

Posted 21 Sep 2010, 18:30 #9 

woolleysox
come on guys without the walnut dash it must be a ZT with supercharger of course. Bit more advance with heated seat and no parachute required.
Woolleysox

midlandsnanomeets.co.uk

Posted 24 Sep 2010, 23:49 #10 

geesmith
There was a secret boost control on the Spitfire which was only to be used in an emergency.....giving a squirt of nitrous and a serious brief increase in horse power.

The guys flying these things came across 'emergencies' several times a day. This resulted in engines turning up at Rolls Royce for repair at an alarming rate and had the engineers scratching their heads wondering why the con rods were bending and being baffled as to why their calculations had fallen short.....which just goes to show how secret the NO2 was and also leading to the preference by those in the know for a recon engine in their Spit with the beefier rods.

This also explains why the MG Spitfire 18 was only used for sky writing excercises as NO2 tended to make the writing too thick.......... :gmc:

Posted 25 Sep 2010, 22:48 #11