Serpant Transformation by Arctic

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi
I finally got round to refurbing my serpants so started by taking them to local tyre place to have the tyres removed whom will be putting them back on for me once finished, at a cost of £40 this will be including the balancing.

marked by brake dust and pitting.Fig 1
Image1

curbing not by me mind fig 2
Image2

On there way to have tyres removed fig 3
Image3

Being de-greased and washed back and front figs 4/5
Image4

Image5

Rubbed down /sanded with orbital sander and filled where needed. fig 6
Image6

First one under coated the others waiting in line, they are going to have two coats in all. Fig 7
Image7

All under coated and baking in the sun will now be left for a day or two to harden off.
Image8
The next part of the refurbing transformation to follow later today.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 01:19 #1 

Dominic22
As always looking great. Looks like the weather will be with you today. Have fun

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 07:47 #2 

kandyman
Coming along nicely,

I have got a new set of wheels that I have to get refurbished but don't have the skills to give it a go myself :(

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 08:57 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Dominic22 wrote:As always looking great. Looks like the weather will be with you today. Have fun

Hi Dominic.
cheers yer sunny all day by all means just finished walking the dog got dinner on now out to give them the clear lacquer as i have already sprayed them with the final coats, have a nice day Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 11:49 #4 

Last edited by Arctic on 05 Aug 2011, 23:25, edited 1 time in total.

Arctic
(Trader)
kandyman wrote:Coming along nicely,

I have got a new set of wheels that I have to get refurbished but don't have the skills to give it a go myself :(

Hi you never know untill you try this is only the second set i have ever done inmy life plus nowt to lose if they went wrong i/you could always take to the refurb wheels shops anyway. :roll: hope i have'nt spoke to soon now, :thumbsup: Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 11:52 #5 

Arctic
(Trader)
Follow on from the Serpants having there under coats, the silver is going on in three stages fig 10/11

Image10

After two coats of silver
Image11
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 11:56 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
Sunday the final day of refurbing the wheels the third coat of silver been applied also today,then clear lacquer before going back to the tyre service place in about 3 days time giving them time to harden off,have the tyres put back on and get them balanced.

Third coat now dry from this morning ready now apply the clear lacquer.fig 12/13
Image12

Image13
Lacquer being used for the wheels bit windy so am using my make shift booth :lol: the bin recess in the back garden. fig 14
Image14

First coat of lacquer applied doing three coats in all fig 15/16
Image15

set to one side ready for the next in line and so on fig 16
Image16

Second coat applied and not looking to bad, this wind is a pain in the postier A--E :shock: :lol: i mean it is before 9.00am fig 17/18
Image17

Image18

Third and final coats applied and dried off nicely despite the wind fig19
Image19

Also decided to give the spare centre's a spraying over as you will note the wheels have changed colour from the original as i found them to chromey for me, fig 20
Image20

After first coat of silver fig 21
Image21

second and third coats been applied and the lacquer fig 22
Image22

I am thinking of putting these badges on them what do you think :confused: take a look at the next few photos and give your opinions please. figs 23/24/25/26/27
Image23

Image24

Image25

Image26

Or do i heat up the facelift centers and pop out the badges respray them and put them back in, or do i keep both and have a change now and again :confused: figs 27
Image27

Note how i have gone for a darker silver which is my preference but others may not like this colour, thanks for looking Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 19:27 #7 

takestock
Looks a very proffesional Job Steve, how about pictures of the tools equipment and consumables you used.

For me the brighter the silver the better but every one's different ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 19:47 #8 

Dallas
Blooming great job you're done there :clap:

I am a total fan of the serpants, lovely wheels.

................. the centre caps look ok either way, its a hard call......... :thumbsup:

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 20:20 #9 

Dominic22
Look fantastic. Will really suit the car. Your car is classy as are these wheels so will be a perfect fit.

Posted 31 Jul 2011, 20:36 #10 

Arctic
(Trader)
takestock wrote:Looks a very proffesional Job Steve, how about pictures of the tools equipment and consumables you used.

For me the brighter the silver the better but every one's different ;)

Hi Dave.
cheers appreciated items used where detail sander with various grades of discs,wet&dry paper from 800-1200 just to give the under coats a good key,degreaser to get all the muck of in first place also used some thinner to wipe of all the dust when they had been sanded down, for the edges which had been curbed and need filling i used JB Weld seemed to work ok and can be sanded. well for paint you can see this in the photos, gloves & masks, best to do this in the open or well ventilated area or you will be quite happy after even on another planet :lol: :lol: Ho yes and a couple of bottles of larger but not compulsory by all ;)

Image1

JB Weld
Image2
Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Aug 2011, 12:29 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
Cheers Westley & Dominic.
Just have to wait and see what they look like once back on the car about Wednesday after hardening off for a few days Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Aug 2011, 12:32 #12 

BADLAD
Hi arctic,

I think that the results look remarkable! It was when I got half way down and realised you were using tins of spray paint that I was most shocked. I normally associate tins of spray paint with graffiti not quality paint jobs. It just goes to show what can be achieved with a bit of care and patience.

Have a good one!

Ian

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 19:56 #13 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Ian.
Yes not come out to bad but not as good as professional job but hey not cost the same price either :cheers: affraid my graffiti days are over now, i mean the wheels could so easy have turned out to be a load of.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Having the tyres fitted back on tomoz all being well ready for the week end meet.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Aug 2011, 23:11 #14 

Arctic
(Trader)
Well i finaly got the tyres fitted back on yesterday,
Image1

Image2

Image3

Image4

Image5

Once fitted i decided to get the wheels alligned on a four wheels machine as before the car was so very slightly pulling to the left but no tyre wear,
Image6

Job done drove about half mile on the first straight road i could find, my god it was worse as i was fighting to stop it pulling left turned round went straight back and said somethings wrong here it's worse than when i brought it in, so back on the ramps he them ask's me this queston, have you had any work done on the car recently ? No was my answer only just had the tyre's put back on and the wheels balanced and was directed to you to have the allignment done after speaking to the tyre chap :confused: So when the chap lined then up this time i watched the infa light one read 5.95 the other 7.2 i pointed this out and he adjusted it, Then said that should do it walked off to take spanner back and again i said it's the same it seems to be happening when you tighten up the nut on the tracking arm ? i asked do you have a book to check the 3 singers (Degrees)of toe or toe out? yer he replies but i have been doing this for ages i pointed out the points again turned out when he was tighten the nut up he was not hold the arm still so it was moving in the end i said i will run it over the week end and if it's not right i will Arnold Swurttts what ever is name is (Termimator)(i'll be back) so time over the weekend will tell.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 00:27 #15 

Last edited by Arctic on 06 Aug 2011, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.

takestock
They look great Steve, After looking at your car and knowing how you like to dabble, i have a project for you soon ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 07:30 #16 

Arctic
(Trader)
takestock wrote:They look great Steve, After looking at your car and knowing how you like to dabble, i have a project for you soon ;)

Hi Dave
very intriguing hope you a good journey picking up your goodies today they look to be in nice condition when we got them off still had the stickers on the back. Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Aug 2011, 10:37 #17