Self levelling suspension by PaulT

PaulT
Those who have it how good is it - I am keen to stop / reduce pitching when towing.

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Nov 2010, 16:08 #1 

Duncan
Hi.

You have to change springs, when fitting the dampers, as they take some of the load on the new dampers so I fitted some when the springs broke.

It's intended to compensate for heavy loads. As you know, I've recently done the kitchen and had several Ikea runs heavily loaded. When first loaded, the car was very low, but when I got home was lovely and level again, so obviously doing the job well. The car drove like the load wasn't there, except for braking of course.

So they certainly stiffen the back under load, but I can't say if it will help with pitching when towing. I say this, because they kind of pump up, as you travel along. The noseweight of your towed load would do the same, so they would stiffen. However any pitch which lifted weight off the tail, would immediately release the pressure and lose the effect. I would say if you need to do the springs anyway, go for it.

Posted 07 Nov 2010, 16:41 #2 

PaulT
Thanks Duncan

I am unaware that the springs need doing - however, the PO had to change them, and that was just over 100k miles ago so they may well be a little tired now.

I have just purchased a box trailer and towing it back from where I bought it, it pitched quite a bit. I am soon going to be towing it about 740 miles full and then the same empty. As the dog travels in the estate part it will be fairly uncomfortable for her if it does pitch a lot.

I initially thought of fitting an Alko 3004 stabiliser but as the hitch swivels by more than 25 degrees each way I cannot use the Alko.

So my thoughts turned to self-levelling suspension, and I am aware that the springs need replacing.

I had read that someone claimed it reduced pitching - the other benefit could be when going over humps, even slowly there are a couple where the underside of the towbar has contacted with the hump as the rear suddenly goes down and the trailer down force give it a hand dipping lower.

Paul
Paul

Posted 07 Nov 2010, 21:25 #3 

PaulT
Duncan

Did your springs come with the top and bottom isolators, or did you use the ones from the old spring or did you buy new.

If you bought new do you know what the part numbers were as Rimmers do not seem to list them.

Paul
Paul

Posted 08 Nov 2010, 06:07 #4 

PaulT
Duncan - thanks for your PM

I have taken the plunge and ordered springs and shocks. Hopefully they will arrive by the weekend AND the weather is kind to me.

For the past 3.5 years I have been taking car loads of stuff down to France - if the self levelling is good I shall regret not fitting it earlier.

I will report back on my findings.

Paul
Paul

Posted 08 Nov 2010, 13:35 #5 

Duncan
In case anyone else finds it useful, The OE springs that you can't get any more (at least not for tourers with levelling dampers) did have the rubbers. The new ones that you buy as a pair don't but it's easy to swap, and they don't seem to deteriorate.

Posted 08 Nov 2010, 19:42 #6 

JohnDotCom
Handy tip there thanks.
Les at SMC trading had these dampers etc at a excellent price,
not sure if he has any left now.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 08 Nov 2010, 22:34 #7