Self levelling headlights by PaulT

PaulT
Tomorrow, come rain, gale, snow etc I shall be fitting self-levelling rear suspension to my Tourer.

I also note that the self-levelling sensor for the headlights on a Tourer is mounted on the rear suspension.

I have not fitted Xenon lamps because of the lack of self-levelling.

Anyone know if it is possible to wire in the sensor to give this and what is invloved - natrually at the moment I have the thumbwheel for adjustment on the light switch.

Thanks

Paul
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 08:18 #1 

JohnDotCom
There are sensors on front struts for the factory fit HID (High Intensity Discharge) lamps, and don't use the internal wheel for adjustment.
After fit kits don't have self leveling,
Must also be "E" approved.

I am sure a knowledgeable person will be along shortly.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 08:35 #2 

PaulT
John

I thought they were on the front struts.

However, on Rimmers site they show:

RBW000020 - Sensor assembly-rear suspension height - Xenon - Genuine MG Rover

So now assume that as Saloons did not have self-levelling suspension and presumably Tourers without sel-levelling it was controlled from the front struts but if it was fitted then the sensor was attached to the rear subframe.

Paul
Paul

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 12:45 #3 

Duncan
As far as I know, there are two sensors. One front, one rear.

They connect to the light switch module. But we haven't yet worked out what makes this ignore the wheel, and monitor the level sensors. I suspect that it's the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) coding bit for xenon headlmaps, but haven't experimented.

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 13:32 #4 

PaulT
Thanks Duncan - so I think that is a do not try because it will not work.

Paul
Paul

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 18:18 #5 

SpongeBob
I seem to remember someone retrofitting HID's on a car with the self-levelling sensors. I (as Duncan says) do not recall any adjustments on T4 so it may be that the system is 'intelligent'. e.g. an input from the axle sensors overrides input from the thumbwheel on the dashboard :confused:

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 19:39 #6 

Duncan
That's not what I meant, Simon.

I think it will need T4. I would expect if the sensors were not connected, you would get a fault code. So it would need to know if they were supposed to be connected.

It may be that the retro fitted ones never actually did the job. But then again, it might be as you say.

I'm basing my proposal purely on theory of how these things are usually done, rather than any actual knowledge.

Need to do a test set up and see what happens. Slaving in the extra wires to the LSM (Light Switch Module) and some sensors just lay in the footwell would prove something.....

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 20:03 #7 

SpongeBob
I misunderstood your post then Duncan - sorry. :)

I should have added that I don't recall how the retrofit turned out - it may be that nothing came of installing the sensors.

Posted 12 Nov 2010, 20:24 #8 

Russ
(Trader)
Self levelling headlights is a ZCS coding exercise, just fitting the sensors and wiring won't do it, same in reverse you can't fit the thumbwheel adjuster to a self levelling LSM either (I've tried that one) ;)

Russ
Full T4 diagnostics, options enabled and disabled p.m for details

Posted 13 Nov 2010, 00:53 #9