SCSI Controller Card by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
Anyone any good with SCSI devices? I've bought a printer that I think needs a SCSI Controller card. However, I won't know for definate until tomorrow when I pick it up. The printer is about 10 years old so probably wont need a super duper type card. Although the only desktop I have is running WIndows 7 x64 and they only do drivers up to XP. Is there a laptop version I can anyone offer some advice to get it to run on Windows 7? The printer is a Sony UP-DR100.

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 13:12 #1 

Mad-Monkey

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 13:15 #2 

Duncan
SCSI was always a bit of a mystery to me, but I thought it was long dead apart from in servers where the CDRom drives are sometimes SCSI. Only time I've experienced it is in Tetsbook T1s where they use a SCSI CDRom and it's a pain if they go wrong.

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 13:52 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Probably is dead but the printer is 10 years old so from the scsi age :) never had a clue about it as the technology seemed daft compared to normal devices such as IDE and USB

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 14:12 #4 

Duncan
Could this be another option as firewire is fairly common on lappys?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-firewi ... 3cc21d2691

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 14:20 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Would this be compatible with your PC? If you can find one these days.

http://www.lindy.co.uk/usb-to-scsi-conv ... 32895.html

I first used such a cable when Apple dropped Small Computer System Interface when the iMac first appeared. Prior to that all Macs used SCSI, serial and ADB. All these superseded by USB, Firewire.

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 14:24 #6 

Mad-Monkey
USB to scsi would be better as my laptop doesn't have FireWire. How does it work with the printer drivers? Does it add a virtual scsi port or something? I'm kind of hoping the printer has a USB port but is only advertised as scsi.

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 15:16 #7 

Jürgen
The UP-DR100 has SCSI connectors only, as you can see on these pictures.

If your Windows 7 is a Professional or Ultimate version, than you can use XP Mode (MS download page) in order to run a virtual XP.

Else you could try to install the XP driver in XP compatibility mode. But don't forget to make a backup first or at least set a system restore point.

Posted 12 Feb 2012, 23:02 #8 

Mad-Monkey
Thanks Jürgen, I think I'm going to get a USB to scsi adapter. By the time I've bought a card and cable I may as well hav bought an adapter. I can use it on my laptop then or desktop if I get the compatibility mode working :)

Posted 13 Feb 2012, 14:48 #9 

Mad-Monkey
Ok, having faffed and searched round the net, it looks as if the printer is not compatible with the USB adapters. Not that I could find one at a reasonable cost anyway! So, I've borrowed a computer from work which has XP, and a spare PCI slot. Can I use any SCSI card with an external port? There are a couple of raid SCSI cards, so I guess I don't need them. Looking on the eBay there are tons of different ones, some from £10 to £££.

This one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-ADAPTEC-I ... 3cc1c28c2b is boxed brand new and has an external 68 pin connector, so I could use a 68 to 50 pin cable. Is that going to solve my problem?

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 08:55 #10 

Mad-Monkey
Actually that card wont work as the computer only has a PCI slot and the card is PCI-X. There is only enough room for a PCI card and not an extended card as well. My original question about the type of card still stands though as I'm clueless :)

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:16 #11 

Mad-Monkey
I've found an old 32bit PCI SCSI card for £8 which I think might do the job. The description mentioned HDD and CD-Rom drives as they all do, but for £8 I thought it worth a punt.

Posted 23 Feb 2012, 09:50 #12