Ripping software by PaulT

PaulT
Now that I have retired and have nothing to do (if only that was true) think it is now time to convert all my cds and more importantly my vinyl to tracks I can use on the computer.

So, what would you recommend? Would like it to have a very comprehensive database of cd names and track titles so that I do not have to name them manually.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 11:10 #1 

SpongeBob
Something like iTunes (free download from Apple --> http://www.apple.com/uk/itunes/) Would be my personal preferred choice as you can simple insert your CD into your computer and then iTunes will rip all the tracks off it and will also try to find a matching list of track names (and cover artwork) from online sources. Then you not only have your music stored on your computer but also in a easy-to-use media player.

With regards to vinyl LP's then the process would be more involved with having to individually record each track off the LP and then import it into a media player. If we stick with the iTunes example, once you've recorded your LP tracks onto your computer you can then import them directly into iTunes and manually name the tracks and even add your own artwork (for the album cover) should you so wish. The difficult part in this is having a piece of software to enable you to easily record the music from your LP's. Unfortunately I cannot advise much on this area.

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 11:33 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If you are using a Mac you can use Garage Band, part of the Ilife suite to record your LPs via the sound in port, then export as MP3 for use in iTunes.

If not there are plenty of software applications available for Windoze that do a similar job. Audacity would be my preferred option as I have used the Mac version many times. http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 13:39 #3 

Duncan
Personally I'm not a fan of itunes for this, as I don't get on with how bossy it is over where you store your tracks. You also HAVE to have an itunes account to get album artwork, and it's quite hard to do that (though possible) without giving apple your credit card details.

On the other hand windows media player has a rip function, and can also do album artwork, track listings and so on. And you can tell it where to rip to, including network drives so you can play it back on any machine. So once set, stick your CD in and it just appears in it's own directory wherever you set it. Again free, and does it for me.

That reminds me: must do the CDs I bought yeterday.

And one other thing: don't forget to do backups. Yes you'll still have the originals, but the time involved you don't want to have to do it again!

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 13:41 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
FYI Duncan. Itunes will store it's music wherever you tell it to. (Advanced Prefs.)
I agree Windows Media Player is probably best for Windows users ripping CD's although nothing "Windows" appeals to me personally. ;)

There's pros and cons for all software and systems.

My recommendation of Audacity for analogue conversion to digital still stands. We likes open source software.

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 13:57 #5 

Duncan
Mick, yes I tried that, and still can't get it to put the files on a share, and then play them properly. Maybe I give up too easily?

I think you are right with Audacity for analogue recording, I've used it myself for this, though not yet the Vinyl or cassettes!

Posted 03 Jun 2012, 17:00 #6