Red V5C by Mick

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mick
(Site Admin)
Received my new red V5C document today. Wasn't expecting one.
I wonder just how much it is costing to issue new V5 documents for every vehicle in the country, due to DVLA piss poor security allowing some blue V5's to be stolen.
It says in bold as brass lettering, This document is not proof of ownership. So what document constitutes proof of ownership these days?
I would despair, if I had any despair left to despair with. :(

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 11:32 #1 

Zeb
35 million cars.... guess about a pound a car... but what do they care? It is not their money that they spend...

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 11:34 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
You can probably double that figure, with printing, postage, envelopes, administration. If not more.

At the risk of compromising my own swear filter. What a bunch of ******** 's

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 11:42 #3 

kandyman
It has been estimated replacing the 34 million logbooks will cost the agency around £6m.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 11:49 #4 

kandyman
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... -30214464/

THE DVLA says it expects to replace virtually all of Britain’s 34 million vehicle log books by the end of this year to finally thwart criminals who stole more than two million of the blank “registered keeper” forms.

An estimated £13m worth of vehicles have been stolen as a result of the loss of the blank log books from the DVLA.

Thieves got their hands on 2.2 million blank log books, or registered keeper forms, which were due to have been shredded because of a minor printing error in 2006.

Criminal gangs have been using the stolen vehicle registration documents to sell cloned cars on the private market ever since.

Car cloning is the vehicle equivalent of identity theft. Gangs copy the number plate and other identifying details of a legitimate car onto a similar, but stolen clone.

They also copy the genuine vehicle’s log book – or V5 form – by using one of the stolen ones.

They then present the stolen V5C registered keeper forms to trick unsuspecting victims with official, watermarked reassurance that they are buying legitimate cars, not cloned, stolen ones.

The Swansea-based DVLA says the cloning of documents is a criminal activity outside of its control and the organisation is currently working with the police to stop it happening.

Last August, the DVLA began a programme of replacing all of Britain’s 34 million vehicle registered keeper forms.

The new registration forms — or V5Cs — are coloured red and come with a letter telling recipients to destroy their existing blue ones.

A spokesman for the DVLA told the Western Mail yesterday: “Since last August, we have replaced 23 million log books with new red issue forms.

“And we expect to complete the job by the end of this year replacing virtually all of the 34 million forms.”

After the lorry load of V5C log books was stolen in 2006, police say they have been recovering around 10 faked log books a week but more than 100,000 blank logs books are still thought to be missing.

According to the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO) last year, 11,000 vehicles worth more than £13m were “cloned” by criminals so stolen cars could then be sold on as legitimate.

Regarding the original theft of the forms, the DVLA has confirmed they were part of a faulty batch which were returned to printing contractors for destruction.

The DVLA said in a statement: “The documents were not stolen at DVLA but at some point after they were returned.”

It has been estimated replacing the 34 million logbooks will cost the agency around £6m.

Transport Minister Mike Penning, speaking about the thefts, said: “We know that criminals try to legitimise the sale of a stolen or cloned vehicle with a forged or stolen registration certificate and they get away with it because many motorists believe that a registration certificate is proof of ownership.

“It is important that motorists are aware that this is not the case.”

The DVLA has published on its website a list of serial numbers for the blank log books which it believes have gone missing.

Potential used-car buyers are advised to check the documents’ serial numbers against the missing batch.

If the serial numbers begin with BG or BI, then buyers are advised to be cautious and check.

Buyers are also advised to carry out a provenance check of their potential car, to check its serial numbers all match against the registration database.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 11:50 #5 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Thanks Andy, I must have been asleep when that happened or I'm suffering short term wossaname. :)

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 12:34 #6 

Tourerfogey
If the cost is estimated at £6m then the true figure will be at least 5 times that. :(

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 13:35 #7 

PaulT
Mmmm, 34m for £6m...that's 17.6471p each. Presumably the DVLA has to pay Royal Mail for delivery so think TF is right.

And surely, there should be a claim against the insurers of whoever was responsible for their saf keeping at the time.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 13:43 #8 

stevemac
As far as I know an invoice is the only legal ownership proof. But even that can be faked!
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 14:23 #9 

SpongeBob
I think the note about legal right of ownership boils down to the fact there may be other parties with an interest in the vehicle. Say for example you took out finance on the car and still owed monies on that agreement then the finance company would have a share in the car. Same goes with parents who've brought cars for their siblings. Even if the car was paid for out-right, the parent(s) who paid would have the technical legal ownership of the vehicle unless they have given the car without need for recompense then I guess in that situation the legal owner could be the sibling rather than the parent(s) but I guess you would have to look at it on a case-by-case basis.

Now my brain hurts :( Time to take a trip to the mellow lounge I think... ;)

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 17:30 #10 

raistlin
Mick wrote:So what document constitutes proof of ownership these days?

Sale invoice / receipt.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 20:48 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin wrote:
Mick wrote:So what document constitutes proof of ownership these days?

Sale invoice / receipt.

Thanks Paul and Stevemac I have one of those. :)

Posted 01 Jun 2012, 22:27 #12 

starbug2
don't look as nice and was a surprise when bev's come for the mgf and then one came for the rover ..... a lot of money wasted i'm sure

Posted 02 Jun 2012, 10:19 #13