Powered head lamp washers for Xenons by Gate Keeper

Gate Keeper
Marina Brian successfully enabled the Xenons, auto self levelling and power head lamp washers. The ECU (Engine Control Unit)'s were recoded despite the diagnostic connector unit being faulty with pins having been found to have been damaged. Hence T1 and T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) would not communicate until Brian had repaired them - not easy. Many thanks Brian for being persistent and for doing the keys :)

The relay for the headlamp washers in the passenger footwell is missing! Could this be R3?

Given that everything has now been enabled I am hoping that fitting the relay will complete the puzzle. I have a spare headlamp washer pump.

One other problem identified through T4 was that the VIS (Variable Intake System) motor has stopped working :(

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 08:10 #1 

Gate Keeper
Whilst Brian was working on the diagnostics and doing the ZCS codes, I took a snap shot of the VIS screen. I am making an assumption it is not working. Do correct me if I am wrong.

I do have a spare VIS motor.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 09:42 #2 

Duncan
That screen is live data, so you wouldn't see it working or not from that unless driving the car. To test the operation using T4 you use the function 'force outputs' which makes the flap move and you can hear it moving (or not).

I can't remember which of the footwell relays it is, but it doesn't always work just adding the relay, as I've seen many duff pumps recently.

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 11:58 #3 

Gate Keeper
I checked the footwell. Both R2 and R3 were absent. The reversing light relay is also the same as the one used by the headlamp washer so I swapped it over. The washers did not kick in. Brian mentioned the same thing about the pumps Duncan. I wanted to try the relay first. It could be the pump. Thanks for looking at the problem. In light of your comments, I will think again about the VIS.

I have decided to have the washer system stripped down. I called into an MOT station and they told me they would not be testing the headlight washers as they are not part of the new test. For now it will be one less problem to worry about but I would like them to work. I have about 3 weeks before it is due and have booked to have the car tested next week.

Apart from the above, the engine managed the drive from London to North West Wales, then onto Cumbria - a tour of the lakes up to Newcastle and back to London yesterday without breaking down :)

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 16:51 #4 

Duncan
I looked at a headlamp washer at the last Nano. The relay was missing, so I plugged in a spare to both sockets and nothing. So I did a bit of fiddling, and powered the relay directly. Still no operation, but I could tell the pump was drawing a high current. Unfortunately I think the owner wasn't an online user, or maybe he is on the OC, but I've had no further info on how he got on getting it fixed.

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 19:02 #5 

Gate Keeper
Someone on the OC wrote about it in the forum Duncan, how they had a similar problem and had piggy backed the wiring powering the washers and the lights together. I will see if I can revisit the post again. I am not sure if he is the owner you helped.

Posted 12 Sep 2012, 20:27 #6