Pot, kettle, black by raistlin

raistlin
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 14:20 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
They really are just full of it. Perhaps if any one of them knew what a hard days work is then they might have a point.

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 14:46 #2 

Jumper
Watch out, there's bound to be something else lurking they don't want discussed. I mean, how would they know anything about hard work anyway?

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 15:39 #3 

Tourerfogey
Irrespective of whether those who have said this are well placed to say it, should have said it, or are hypocritical in saying it, the fact is that they are correct in their assumptions - much of the British worforce are generally lazy, innefficient, will give as little as possible in order to get as much as they can, and will happily screw their employers, large or small, anyway that they can for their own ends.

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 21:27 #4 

JakeWilson
I'd agree with you TF, I found peoples attitudes to work etc whilst living in Germany incredibly refreshing when compared to the attitudes here in the UK, where people want paying too much for doing too little and unions too eager to jump on the 'strike' button.

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 21:45 #5 

Tourerfogey
Ahhh, the Unions . . . responsible for the slow, agonising death of the British Car Industry, and much else besides. . .

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 22:17 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Tourerfogey wrote:Irrespective of whether those who have said this are well placed to say it, should have said it, or are hypocritical in saying it, the fact is that they are correct in their assumptions - much of the British worforce are generally lazy, innefficient, will give as little as possible in order to get as much as they can, and will happily screw their employers, large or small, anyway that they can for their own ends.
JakeWilson wrote:I'd agree with you TF, I found peoples attitudes to work etc whilst living in Germany incredibly refreshing when compared to the attitudes here in the UK, where people want paying too much for doing too little and unions too eager to jump on the 'strike' button.

Such sweeping generalisations. This has never been my experience, either where I have worked or those that have worked for me, admittedly these have been smaller companies and in my own businesses up to fifteen employees. Almost all have been hard working and grateful to have a job at all.
I cannot speak for those working for large companies in less than fulfilling jobs. I have no experience of unionised work places but from what I have gleaned from the media over the years I suspect you may be right in some circumstances.

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 22:25 #7 

Jumper
Tourerfogey wrote:Irrespective of whether those who have said this are well placed to say it, should have said it, or are hypocritical in saying it, the fact is that they are correct in their assumptions - much of the British worforce are generally lazy, innefficient, will give as little as possible in order to get as much as they can, and will happily screw their employers, large or small, anyway that they can for their own ends.

If that is a result of your lifetime experience you have my sympathies. You must have worked in, or had experience of, the very worst possible places and known the laziest sciving idiots in the country. Didn't work in Westminster by any chance? If these circumstances do not apply then your statement is very sweeping. It is exactly the opposite of my own experience.

Of course those people do exist in any industry and any country but, largely since the trade unions lost their stranglehold on British Industry, they have been very much in the minority. I know the unions were not mentioned in your post but they invariably are held up as the villains of the piece by others. I have held trade union office up to Conference Delegate so have some experience of the real life attitudes of union members and officials. Some dedicated honest men, some less so.

Most of my working life, apart from when I ran my own business, was spent among good hardworking people, very often six working days a week, 12/14 hours long. It was highly competetive and stressful, but fantastically satisfying. I worked in a variety of locations, from Merseyside to darkest Cornwall and 99% of the people I met were people I would have been happy to employ myself, the weaker of them fell by the wayside into lesser jobs because they were ineffective.

The latest rubbish is the drivel from (all of them) the new intake of MP's. They see the next election looming, anticipate the rise of the Tory Right, and are starting to jockey for position for preferrment when the time comes. That's an absolute guarantee.

Posted 18 Aug 2012, 23:09 #8 

carlpenn
"We work among the lowest hours, we retire early and our productivity is poor."

The coalition government is currently planning to raise the retirement age for men and women to 67 by 2025, eight years earlier than previously planned

I wonder, how are Police Officers going to catch Criminals at 66? Supercharged Mobility Scooters? They cannot all get Desk Jobs, so there we fall on a simplistic problem......What happens to the Copper when they hit a certain age? Tina has been told the same, she will have to work till 67. Hmm, I hope I live to see her having to lift an Obese patient onto the Ambulance at 67 :P

This Gov't are so out of touch they are lost in the wilderness. But they are also very clever, turn the public into brainwashed Zombies by spewing out tosh like this, get everyone etched up about where their "Taxes" are going etc

Blame the Immigrants, Doleys, Terrorists and Last Gov't............Gets the Votes in.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 20 Aug 2012, 21:22 #9 

Jumper
Desk jobs for police. That’s an interesting one. And emotive. You can’t put an argument up for the howls of derision you get! But how about this:

Not all coppers chase crooks. The myth that a copper over 50 is useless is just that - a myth. Farmers work harder than police, ’til they’re 90. Quarrymen work harder than police, ’til they’re 65. There are many others, but the point is made, and I’m aware of the attendant dangers in police work. Proportionally, there are more on-the-job deaths in farming, quarrying, construction work and mining than there are in police work. I’m not denigrating the police, just giving a tiny bit of perspective.

The problem with the cliff edge of ‘retirement’ is the gold mine of experience and wisdom that is thrown away. It’s taken years of bloody hard and expensive work to accumulate and then has to be paid for over and over again for newbies. In the case of police, far too early. Mentoring, training, counselling - not all at places like Hendon, but on the job, are just part of the answer to police staffing costs. And what better mentors could there be? Although perhaps posts should be filled from the ranks of career PC’s and DC’s. There are many other areas where massive savings could painlessly be made, too long for here.

Civilian workers were taken on to save money and active and fit coppers were, are, made to retire while they are still highly valuable. That’s valuable, not quite the same thing as valued. The thing is, with older coppers kept on at lesser paid jobs, it reduces their pension (earnings averages over a period)!

The government (any colour) are in touch - with their real world. But only clever in so far as they know there is no danger of a Syrian style revolution here. Because all we do is moan about it. No one wants to actually do anything - hoping it will all come right in the end and relying on an election which only hastens the decline into further apathy.
I’ve not heard a government spokesperson blaming immigrants and ‘doleys’ etc for the state we are in, that’s more loud mouthed bigot sweeping generalisation. But it does get the votes in - for the extremists.

We’re all doomed! Where’s Arthur Scargill when you need him? Or Red Robbo? Or what’s his name, oh yes, Derek Hatton? Up The Revolution! (only if I can be the leader though).

Isn't it wonderful that irony ain't quite dead? Or is it?

Posted 21 Aug 2012, 09:52 #10 

Colvert
Mick wrote:
JakeWilson wrote:I'd agree with you TF, I found peoples attitudes to work etc whilst living in Germany incredibly refreshing when compared to the attitudes here in the UK, where people want paying too much for doing too little and unions too eager to jump on the 'strike' button.

Such sweeping generalisations. This has never been my experience, either where I have worked or those that have worked for me, admittedly these have been smaller companies and in my own businesses up to fifteen employees. Almost all have been hard working and grateful to have a job at all.
I cannot speak for those working for large companies in less than fulfilling jobs. I have no experience of unionised work places but from what I have gleaned from the media over the years I suspect you may be right in some circumstances.

My experience and feelings too. No business that carries shirkers last long.

Posted 21 Aug 2012, 14:12 #11