Playstation 3 - to buy or not to buy? by Dave

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Dave
That indeed is the question...

Although my PS2 is still going strong, 9 years and 11 months after I got it for my 40th birthday, I am wondering about getting a PS3, so I can get some new games!

I wouldn't ditch the PS2 (would move it upstairs, so I could keep using my old games, as I don't want to have to re-invest in new Guitar Hero, Gran Turismo, Grand Theft Auto etc etc and I gather newer PS3's are not backward compatible?)

Couple of things though:-
  • Apart from around £50 in price, what's the difference between the 160gb and 320gb models - is the latter worth the extra?
  • Do controllers from the PS2 still work on PS3 models, or would I need to spend more here? (and I guess I need to know if this applies to Guitar Hero controllers too!)
I'd like a driving/racing game that whilst not being too easy, is not too hard either. I've got Gran Turismo 3, but am nowhere near finishing it, in fact after 10 years I'm only 25% through it! ( :em: ). I can win all the beginner stuff, and some of the amateur league, but as I haven't got the full licences yet, can't even have a go at the Pro league - not that I would be able to even keep up let alone win anyway!

Of course, another option is not to bother at all and instead buy a Marantz MCR603 CD Network System, some new speakers and perhaps a NAS drive and listen to music instead!

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 18:49 #1 

SpongeBob
If you didn't know the PS3 can hold a fair amount of music on its own hard drive so you might consider using the PS3 as a media centre to keep and listen music from. I believe they may also playback Blue-Ray DVD's? Plus you can then trash your way through modern gaming titles too! ;) The controllers as far as I know are know wireless but whether you can connect up the older style ones I don't know. This is only my casual observations of friends units as I don't own one myself but I have been told I should get one... :lol:

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 19:00 #2 

kandyman
I have a PS3 and I only use it as a blue ray player and of course it plays DVD's as well, after looking at the cost of a blue ray player and a PS3 I went for the PS3 in the end.

Posted 07 Jan 2012, 19:17 #3 

MN190
Once the kids found out the PS3 wasn't backwards compatible they went down the Xbox route.
Better graphics etc the only downside is the online gaming isn't free like it is for the playstation

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 00:00 #4 

starbug2
we have both the size of the hard drive is the only difference between the 160gb and 320gb models over all as time goes go there are minor differences far mk 1 to what ever it's up to now the biggest change was making it smaller and stuff like drive for mg rover.... the very first was backwards with ps2 and 1 but they are very hard to get and then likely 2nd hand... the currant one is still mostly ps1 compatible but not the memory cards as no slots to put them but you can set up internal card on the hard drive . daft thing is they never bothered to fully remove references to ps2 in that bit but it wont work for the ps2... via ps3 you can watch Iplayer from the bbc and the itv and channel 4/5 variations also if you got love film you can watch that as well . i expect the is a lot of other stuff you can do as well . i have used the Iplayer and love film you can't use ps1/2 controllers as no where to put them as ps3 is wireless or via usb ports which are used for charging ans putting usb stuff on such as flash drives/ key boards

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 10:26 #5 

geesmith
My PS3 failed at 11 months with the dreaded "your PS3 has croaked" message. Sony sent a replacement two days later and collected my faulty one. The replacement developed a fault within a month. The fault was a known hdd issue. I could follow a procedure that would "fix" it for a few days.
I bought a new 250g hdd and downloaded the os. Never faulted since.
GT5 for PS3 is really good...but lacks some of the cars in the last PS2 version.
The PS3 will play PSOne games but not PS2..(~??!!?).. does make a good media centre. You need PS3 controllers. They are wireless. I also have a wireless keyboard for mine but since they discontinued the facility where you could install Linux on the machine there's not much need for it as the PS3 browser is useless.
A friend of mine uses his as a Linux based media centre. He was going through a period of not using it when the Linux killing update came along and he chose not to update.
I use mine for DVD playback. The controller works well for that.

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 13:21 #6 

Dave
Thanks for the replies folks!

Odd anomaly about PS3 playing PS1 games but not PS2 - annoying for me, as all my games are PS2!

Not surprised about the controllers, but then I guess not too much of an issue if I'm keeping the old PS2/games/controllers. Having said that, I would like a newer Guitar Hero, and don't fancy shelling out on a new second controller over and above the full game.....

Re the memory. I can see that 320 will store more game info than 160, but is there no way to store to memory cards any more? Also, what else goes into the memory? If you get iPlayer etc, can you record programmes etc?

The "Love Film" thing sounds good, I must say!

(oh and I loved the "your PS3 has croaked" thing! If only!!)

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 15:58 #7 

starbug2
we still have ps1 games and a ps2 machine

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 17:32 #8 

Borg Warner
It must be an age thing Dave (same as) as we are thinking of getting a PS3, so folks what is the difference between a 160 and 320?

Gary M

Posted 08 Jan 2012, 22:10 #9 

Jürgen
Borg Warner wrote:so folks what is the difference between a 160 and 320?

Just the size of the internal hard disk drive and the choice of bundled software, I guess.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... ifications

Posted 09 Jan 2012, 16:17 #10 

JohnDotCom
The quality of playback using the Blu Ray function is very poor quality, notices very much on a 47" screen, always use a stand alone unit.
Think the XBox has it now for games, Interactive, and quality.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 09 Jan 2012, 17:06 #11 

starbug2
blue rays work ok on my old 28" telly

Posted 09 Jan 2012, 17:24 #12 

Borg Warner
Jürgen wrote:
Borg Warner wrote:so folks what is the difference between a 160 and 320?

Just the size of the internal hard disk drive and the choice of bundled software, I guess.

Thank you. We shall see.

Gary M

Posted 09 Jan 2012, 18:56 #13