Planning Permission - Dropped Kerbs by Mad-Monkey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Mad-Monkey
Does anyone know if you need planning permission for a dropped kerb If one already exists and you wish for it to be made wider?

The council have sent me round in circles and I can't get an answer from anyone!

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 16:54 #1 

Bermudan 75
Planning Law is one of those areas where Local Authorities have different attitudes to the Law and it's enforcement. Usually you do need permission but again depends up the area.

I am having a running battle with my local planning office over the conditions wthin a permission, even being a Surveyor does not seen to make them sit up and listen. But that's Cheshire for you, bunch of numpties.

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 17:12 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Depends entirely on location but in general the answer is yes to planning permission.

Have a read here for a general overview of requirements.
http://www.northyorks.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=4933

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 17:14 #3 

Bermudan 75
Hi Dave,

https://www.gov.uk/apply-dropped-kerb

Have a go with this link.

Usually I would have thought that this should not be a problem, but the Highways people might have a say plus the utilities. In principle if the original dropped kerb had PP then just widening it should not be a major issue, now if you were applying to extend an extension to your property......

If you are getting the run around from your Local Planning office, it will be becauseno one has ever dealt with such a request on it's own, previous applications would have been included in a wider application (e.g. large house being converted to flats).

Cheers

Mike

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 17:33 #4 

Mad-Monkey
Finally found someone to talk to! If you get bored with the computer phone lines press 1 for... 2 for... simply do a finger dance on the key pad till the computer has a spaz. Repeat until knowledgeable person found.

Our road is not a classified road under Birmingham Council and therefore not subject to planning permission! Phew!

Although bet that changes when someone comes out to quote! I still dont know where she got the information from for the roads, must be for certain eyes only!

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 17:40 #5 

Bermudan 75
Just check it wasn't Birmingham, Alabama! :lol:

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 17:45 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Get that in writing before anything else.

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 18:01 #7 

Mad-Monkey
She wouldnt do it which makes me wonder! Took 9months to get the extension planning through! Grrr

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 18:13 #8 

Bermudan 75
Monk wrote:She wouldnt do it which makes me wonder! Took 9months to get the extension planning through! Grrr

Typical attitude, these people are public servants who have forgotten that it is the public who pay their wages.

It took 3 months for Cheshire planning department to acknowledge a letter concerning a breach of a planning condition.

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 18:42 #9 

Jumper
Here where I live, the council insist on their appointed contractors being the only permitted firms allowed to do the work. It's a carve up with confidential informers notifying the council when someone starts work. Follow up with: a closure notice - conveniently getting around the road classification rules.

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 19:49 #10 

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:
Monk wrote:She wouldnt do it which makes me wonder! Took 9months to get the extension planning through! Grrr

Typical attitude, these people are public servants who have forgotten that it is the public who pay their wages.

It took 3 months for Cheshire planning department to acknowledge a letter concerning a breach of a planning condition.

My ex boss was having nightmares with Cheshire, and probably still is.

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 20:00 #11 

MrDoodles
As Cameron wants to concrete over the Green Belt, I wouldn't worry about it! ;)

Just get the work done and worry about it afterwards! :thumbsup:

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 20:06 #12 

raistlin
As you know Dave, we have a dropped kerb and it wasn't there when we bought this house.

I contacted our local council when we moved in and they said that it didn't require planning permission as such but that they had to do the work because of "elf 'n' safety". In other words, "we want to overcharge you and keep our workforce employed"

I suspect that what Jumper says about snoops has more than a ring of truth as well. We had our drive done as far as the public footpath initially and within a week we had a letter asking us our intentions with regard to access to the road.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 20:11 #13 

Mad-Monkey
Interesting! Ive found the bit on council approved contractors, ive had to go through that before but managed some flexibility on getting my chosen contractors in. I doubt that will happen this time as its highways and someone tipped me off to contractors needing insurance of up to 20 million public liability??? No doubt the quote will be huge as the access ive requested is 4.7m but the verges are being destroyed!

Posted 14 Jan 2013, 23:17 #14 

Bermudan 75
Duncan wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:

My ex boss was having nightmares with Cheshire, and probably still is.

Cheshire Planning: bunch of useless numpties.....

A report by the Ombudsman states:

'Cheshire East Council knowingly and persistently misled the public.' 'The Council also witheld information from the public and backdated documents on it's website, apparently in an attempt to cover up.'

As to the matter I referred to above, the file has yet to materialize....another example of the planning department attempting a cover up of their gross incompetence.

Cheers

Mike

Posted 02 Jun 2013, 23:38 #15 

Mad-Monkey
We finally had it done last week. Looks very smart compared to the broken concrete with mega mud ditches to the side! Around 5 months in total from start to finish.

Posted 03 Jun 2013, 11:51 #16 

Zeb
My old grandad simply built rather nice wheel ramps complete with allowance for the gutter water drainage and left them at the kerbside to use for about 20 years....the council came along to redo the pavement and kerbs and were demanding lotsa money for a dropped kerb from him...he said no because he had his own arrangements - the council tried to tell him what he was doing was illegal and he HAD to pay for a dropped kerb, so he challenged them to take him to court. He didn't hear another word but when they redid the pavement / kerb they dropped his too! :lol:

Posted 08 Jun 2013, 06:53 #17