Ostentatious? Moi? by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I have just joined the ranks of the "Blue Badge" holders and have gradually been getting over the guilty feeling of parking where I am perfectly entitled to park ;)

Apparently however, I ought to be ashamed of myself, or so I was told be a woman of about 35 - 40 who saw me get out of The Princess (my pet name for my S-Type) outside the local convenience store in one of the disabled bays.

Astonished I asked why and was told that, as a Blue Badge holder, driving the car I do was ostentatious in the extreme. Further enquiry revealed that, apparently, as a Blue Badge holder I am only entitled to drive the likes of a Nissan Micra, Ford Focus, Ford Ka etc.

I then asked why that should be and received a somewhat philosophical " 'cos you are a cripple"

I chose not to engage in further discussion.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 01 Nov 2016, 17:54 #1 

humphshumphs
Some people..... let's hope she never is on the wrong side of the law and ends up in front of you :)
Richard

Posted 01 Nov 2016, 19:02 #2 

raistlin
I find it odd that somebody capable of using words like cripple would also have sufficient vocabulary to use words like ostentatious.

Presumably, by her logic, a Blue Badge holder shouldn't drive a Rover 75 either
Paul

Posted 01 Nov 2016, 20:24 #3 

PaulT
I totally agree with her - you need to get one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invacar

Seriously, what the hell does what car you drive have any relation to being a Blue Badge holder plus the reason for the badge could dictate the car driven.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Nov 2016, 20:28 #4 

Bernard
I think that it's possibly because all the badge holders she knows have cars under the Mobility scheme, another costly racket foisted on the taxpayers.

Posted 02 Nov 2016, 11:21 #5 

Gren 24
PaulT wrote:I totally agree with her - you need to get one of these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invacar

Seriously, what the hell does what car you drive have any relation to being a Blue Badge holder plus the reason for the badge could dictate the car driven.

My wife used to drive one of those for quit a few years, and wishes she still owned one. Even took it to Hong Kong with is for a couple of years. Which was fun trying to get the ins and taxed.

Does that also mean I should not own and drive my Rover 75 Tourer, which is just the right size to fit my wifes wheelchair in with-out folding it all up.and so much nicer to drive then any of those other new cars ie Nissan Micra, Ford Focus, Ford Ka etc.

And another plus for my 75 Tourer all the Nano Meets and friends I have meet at them and on forums like this that give there time and knowlege so freely. I will Keep my Tourer thank you.

Posted 02 Nov 2016, 16:46 #6 

raistlin
Bernard wrote:I think that it's possibly because all the badge holders she knows have cars under the Mobility scheme, another costly racket foisted on the taxpayers.

A Blue Badge, of course, is completely independent of the Personal Independence Payment scheme which allows for a Motability car in certain circumstances but yes Bernard, given her overall display of crass ignorance, I shouldn't be surprised if that was her train of thought.

BTW, I asked if I could have an F-Type on Motability but they said no :lol:
Paul

Posted 02 Nov 2016, 17:10 #7 

raistlin
Bernard wrote:cars under the Mobility scheme, another costly racket foisted on the taxpayers.

Following my assessment I am now eligible for a Motability vehicle Bernard, although I won't be having one because I couldn't bear to part with the Jaguar.

However, related local research makes me view your comment with total agreement.

A family up the road recently took possession of a fully expensed (apart from fuel) BMW. Why? Because one of their children has been diagnosed with the mickey mouse ADHD and is therefore considered disabled. £30k worth of car, with NO maintenance or insurance costs, a gift from the UK tax payer.
Paul

Posted 05 Jan 2017, 21:26 #8 

Bernard
raistlin wrote:A family up the road recently took possession of a fully expensed (apart from fuel) BMW. Why? Because one of their children has been diagnosed with the mickey mouse ADHD and is therefore considered disabled. £30k worth of car, with NO maintenance or insurance costs, a gift from the UK tax payer.

I despair. The welfare system is utterly out of hand.

Posted 06 Jan 2017, 21:31 #9 

PaulT
I suppose the money is better staying in the UK than going to an Ethiopian girl band.

But yes, it is totally out of hand and when anything is tried to be done about it there are screams about how it will hit people receiving it, like in Pauls example.

I know of someone who is too ill to work - but has no problem restoring old vehicles!
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Jan 2017, 08:18 #10