Opening ceremony half way through.... by stevemac (Page 1 of 2)

stevemac
:unionflag: Wow, brilliant, simply brilliant. :unionflag:
Steve
People call me average, but I think that's mean!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 27 Jul 2012, 21:37 #1 

petespieces
You realy think so ?

Posted 27 Jul 2012, 22:19 #2 

Jumper
I have to say, it was absolutely amazing. Not been particularly interested in the games so far because of the lies told by Tessa Jowell initially, the continuing smugness of Coe and the total loss of all the dignity the country had. But you can’t not watch the ceremony, can you? So I turned it on at 9.00. For the most part, watched the spectacle open mouthed.

Afterwards I listened to various comments and read reports online. Now I know without any doubt that I am hopelessly out of touch with the rest of the country. I don’t know where to turn next to salve my conscience. I seem to be the only one left, feeling the excruciating embarrassment at the cheapening and down-market impression that has been given to the rest of the world of this once glorious country.

I was nearly sick when all the performers bowed their heads to pay homage to the rings being forged in the sky. Like the rings were above all else - all hail! At 9.30 I almost suffered another cardiac event when that plank Daniel Craig actually usurped the Queen. Who the hell sanctioned that disgraceful episode of national debasement? I always though that the Queen has enough to cope with in reading those blatant lies in the speech written for her at the opening of a new parliament but this was the lowest yet. It was the most patronising, cliched, facile exhibition of national pride. Oh, yes, you could see where the money went. The same way all the rest of the money goes, down the lowest common denominator drain. My apologies to all on here for any unintended offence my rage provokes, it is not personal. Well, not to anyone on here anyway. Can someone, anyone, tell me just why the opening introduction of the Royal party was in FRENCH, then English?

Posted 27 Jul 2012, 23:12 #3 

James.uk
I thought it would be a good time to take the dog to the park, expecting it to be quieter....Wrong.. It was packed.. lol...

Posted 27 Jul 2012, 23:22 #4 

JakeWilson
Have to say, I was expecting it to be pants, and thought it was fantastic, really well done and nice to see some well regarded english actors/comedians in there too!

Loved the part on the music, going through some absolute top tunes! I thought the olympic pit/flame was a really impressive design, and loved how they played Pink Floyd over the fireworks at the end, fitted perfectly..

Macca then came on, I swore at the telly and then turned it off..

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 00:17 #5 

stevemac
It was an absolute triumph of originality and Britishness, A complete antithesis of the over the top Beijing ceremony. Some great pieces of very British humour. To suggest that Daniel Craig, or more correctly the iconic James Bond character upstaged the Queen is hogwash. The fact that she was party to the idea and it was not done by cgi just put a human face on her. The Mr Bean section was also very funny. The only joke that fell flat was the OAP singing at the end (please give it up Macca, the Beatles are long past their sell by date) The forging of the Olympic rings from the furnaces of the industrial age was the highlight for me, as was the construction of the Olympic flame cauldron by each of the participating countries (why had no-one thought of that before?) spine tingling stuff! Well done Boyle and his team. BTW The official language of the Olympic Games is French, get over it!
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 06:10 #6 

ros3
We also thought the opening ceremony was super. Original and very entertaining. And i also swore at the telly when they wheeled out Paul to sing Hey Jude.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 07:58 #7 

MN190
Got to agree both macca and elton should stop the singing now

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 08:57 #8 

Bernard
Taken from the official write-up..

Actor Kenneth Branagh performs during the Opening Ceremony
Actor Kenneth Branagh performs as Shakespeare's Isambard Kingdom Brunel during the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium on 27 July 2012.

http://www.london2012.com/photos/galler ... g-ceremony

Oh Dear....
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 09:41 #9 

stevemac
Bernard wrote:Taken from the official write-up..

Actor Kenneth Branagh performs during the Opening Ceremony
Actor Kenneth Branagh performs as Shakespeare's Isambard Kingdom Brunel during the Opening Ceremony of the London 2012 Olympic Games at the Olympic Stadium on 27 July 2012.

http://www.london2012.com/photos/galler ... g-ceremony

Oh Dear....

:clap: :oops:
Steve
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 09:48 #10 

RhodieBill
The best bits were with HRH and the lighting of the cauldron(?), the worst, Paul McCartney trying to sing - really, not good! But generally surprisingly impressed.... 8/10.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regards, Bill

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 09:52 #11 

Bermudan 75
I remember many years ago seeing Frank Sinatra singing some of his well known songs when he was of OAP age, it was embarrassing. I feel the same when that ex-Beatle and Elton John sing songs from their more youthfull days. And just who was that person murdering the hymn Abide With Me?

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 10:00 #12 

Chartermark
The whole thing had been totally ruined for me by the relentless torrent of soporific gunge forced upon us by the media (BBC in particular) these past few weeks and advertisers fearing their non inclusion may be seen as public treason.

I just feel there's an uncomfortable Orwellian lynch mob attitude to anyone who has differing opinions from what the Great British Public has last been brainwashed with these past years?

As an existentialist, I believe anyone has a right to enjoy what appeals, or criticise what doesn't in equal measure. I loved the British History part and thought it was very well done, 'Shakespeare's Brunel' what Chav thought that up? Rowan Atkinson was hilarious, shame Spike Milligan's gone he'd have been good value I'll bet?

But who chose the ghastly biddy 'voice over' - an appeasement to the 'yoof' I suppose?

Sorry Ray, I thought the James Bond bit was great fun and well done HM, for not only participating, but I thought actually enjoying it too. I bet the poor blighters from Mugabeland would yearn to have the most loved Monarch in the world accepting such bathos, with a smile of enjoyment

I wasn't going to watch it but at the third interruption to my chosen viewing 'Hitler - A Profile', by my ecstatic Russian wife (watching in the lounge), I switched to the recording - and I'm glad I did.

Oh and her comment 'Brilliant - I'm so proud to be British, what a great nation'.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 11:58 #13 

Jumper
Hi Martin. Just to clarify (for the benefit of others), I applaud the enthusiasm, vigour and skills of the participating athletes. Would that I could ever have achieved a tiny part of what they do every day to be within reach of mere humans! I also applaud the commitment of the thousands of helpers and ordinary back-room people who pour their souls into it.

But I cringe at the descent into the blanket acceptance of the ’pop culture’ that anything that is presented by a commercial entity as cultural or good for us, must be so. The curiously desperate yearning of the media or celebrity based supporters to be seen as the most enthusiastic, and the acceptance of the general public after repeated doses of indoctrination of what is good for them, is scary. Any history student who approaches his subject with an open mind will recognise events as being familiar. ‘Bread and Circuses’ come to mind. If many of those scenes had been presented in any other outlet, say, certain newspapers now regaling themselves in reflected glory, they would be accused of Jingoism and being Little Englanders. Curious.

My condemnation of the ceremony was just that. The ceremony. Specifically, not anyone else’s views and certainly not in terms that someone else who had expressed a view would feel a rebuttal to be personalised. As you rightly say, everyone has the right to criticise what does or doesn’t appeal. May I say your wife’s genuine, instinctive and charming comment restores some of my faith!

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 14:28 #14 

Suffolk Man
i loved every minute of it apart from sir paul at the end.the start with elgars nimrod moved me no end allways has that piece.mike oldfield with tubular bells superb the list goes on i will not forget it for some time to come

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 18:53 #15 

Chartermark
Jumper wrote:I cringe at the descent into the blanket acceptance of the ’pop culture’ that anything that is presented by a commercial entity as cultural or good for us, must be so. The curiously desperate yearning of the media or celebrity based supporters to be seen as the most enthusiastic, and the acceptance of the general public after repeated doses of indoctrination of what is good for them, is scary. Any history student who approaches his subject with an open mind will recognise events as being familiar. ‘Bread and Circuses’ come to mind. If many of those scenes had been presented in any other outlet, say, certain newspapers now regaling themselves in reflected glory, they would be accused of Jingoism and being Little Englanders. Curious.

Ray my feelings entirely! I don't know when this cringing sycophancy started - probably with A. Blair & co I think and his Campbell inspired thought thugs. As I said 'Orwellian' - soon we'll have 'Domestos' sponsored Nazi Bin Inpectors, and Tesco subsidised H&S 'researchers'.

Will it all end up as 'Rollerball'?
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073631/

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 19:34 #16 

Jumper
If it does, bags me an admin job looking after Career Advancement.
Enjoyed watching the archery today. Frangilli, the big Italian with the aero-dynamic sensible hair style scored a 10 to win the team gold medal with 2 seconds to go! Great stuff. Wouldn't like to be running away from him through the woods with a parking ticket stuck to my anorak. Those compound bows are something else aren't they.

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 19:55 #17 

Ragman
Right I'm a cynical bugger at the best of times, and being a grumpy old man, I did not watch the opening ceremony last night, since then I have heard nothing but praise and awe about the event, so I've just watched it, start to finish, and I have to admit it was damned impressive, and yes it did make the half of me that's English very proud to be so

Apart from that tone deaf idiot at the end

Posted 28 Jul 2012, 23:57 #18 

Jumper
It is with humility and chagrin that I ruefully admit to being wrong in my op. I stated “Now I know without any doubt that I am hopelessly out of touch with the rest of the country. I seem to be the only one left...." but I was hopelessly mistaken.

After skimming the Sunday papers I discover that Peter Hitchens agrees entirely with me! It’s cleverly paraphrased, but almost word for word. Am I being hacked? There is at least one other of a similar mind! Mind you, in view of who it is, it might have been better to remain isolated. Great fun.

And I make no disparaging comments about a certain OAP that apparently can't sing. Perhaps he should make a 'rap' or 'hip hop' album to sate the masses' appetite for dross. He, along with his late music writing partner, made the greatest contribution to British popular music, whether or not it is still fashionable, in history. I'm no fan of his but out of sheer admiration for his musical ability and tone acuity, I still would not begrudge someone of such stature a moment of glory. As I said, great fun. And curiously nice to be proved wrong!

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 13:18 #19 

podge
I second every word there Steve! I originaly thought no one could match that last opening ceremony for the money that was spent,yes it was impressive but to me had no soul.Then I realised the director of "Slum Dog Millionare" was to give our one a go,oh dear I thought,thats it for us then.How wrong could I be!Very original,spot on for a quick history lesson of the Industrial Revolution.All done (well most of it) by willing volunteers(unlike the last one).The idea of "the petals on the flame sheer brilliance,did you also notice that each of the girls carrying the flag of participating countries was wearing an apron and on those 200 aprons were thousands of pictures...each one a snap of a volunteer.The youngsters lighting the flame,all nominated instead of one person taking the glory.David Beckham storming up the Thames in that boat!I cynically also thought the whole torch thing initialy was over the top,wrong again! a brilliant idea to get the whole country involved (I missed it ..shame on me),that surely will never be upstaged.Yes,there have been major issues (the security problem etc)but all in all I think we can feel justly proud of these Games now.That opening ceremony is the best I have ever seen.I got up very early yesterday and went up to see "Wiggo" and the team off,no I did not buy a ticket,just found a spot.What a fabulous atmosphere!!How often does one get a chance to see even a little bit of The Olympics for real,if you get the chance...do it!!Even Waterloo was very well organised and wherever I went in London,lots of Police and Armed Forces and Private security folk,all with a smile on their face.I came home with a big patriotic smile on my face.Forget all the doom and gloom for the next week or so!
Worth a read...........http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2012/ju ... sfeed=true

Posted 29 Jul 2012, 16:01 #20