Old Boilers.... by Duncan

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Duncan
and new ones.

Mother in law has been told her old boiler should be replaced. It's a Worcester Bosch, about fifteen years old, combi.

She could replace with same make, but the fitter is pushing Baxi.

I can't get a straight answer about what's supposed to be wrong that it needs fixing, but I've a feeling it's just got a bit noisy and she's worried its going to pack up and leave her cold.

So, is it likely to be done in? And what should she replace it wit. Or should we be getting someone else in to fix it?

I know there are a few people in the know, and I'm sure Mr Stocktake will have some words of wisdom, so please all fire away....

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 19:45 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Without a written diagnosis of any faults or potential faults due to wear and quotes for same against the cost of a replacement and from at least 3 reputable service engineers, you are asking for trouble.
I'm sure you know all that, just reinforcing. ;) I have a Worcester Combi it's oil fired so I have no qualms about replacing worn parts myself, I also have backup from the original installer if necessary who just happens to live a few doors away.

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 20:16 #2 

Duncan
Update: apparently it had been noisy but now is quiet. The diagnosis is 'it might be the heat exchanger'. Sounds like doublespeak for 'aint got a clue but it's the expensive bit'.

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 20:28 #3 

PaulT
More profit fitting a new one plus there will be the manufacturers warranty covering it.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 21:20 #4 

JohnDotCom
The new condenser boilers are getting a lot of bad press, through poor reliability, costs etc.
Which advise to get old boiler repaired where possible as a much better solution.
Due to government ruling you can't buy the old boilers anymore, and the new ones don't pay for themselves in fuel savings before dying or needing repair. Many froze and were not useable last winter.
Sure Dave will have a response soon.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 21:40 #5 

takestock
Duncan wrote:and new ones.

I'm sure Mr Stocktake will have some words of wisdom, so please all fire away....

Ahem, who? :D

Life expectancy of a combi boiler is around 15yr, that doesn't mean you have to change it. Unusual noises can come from many areas, the one from the heat exchanger usually sounds like a kettle about to boil. recently seen quite a few 18 yr old combis working away fine.

Main problem with the new (ish) condensing boiler was the installer running the condensate drain external and with the severe winter they froze, causing the boiler to fail. new best practice guidelines recommend the drain now runs internally and British gas even do a little heater coil from them. mark will be more up to speed with the best new models I will contact him shortly, I have few things to sort out just now :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 21:57 #6 

MN190
My condensing boiler has been in for nearly 8 years now but its virtually brand new its had that many new parts fitted.
Didn't see any savings in gas use compared to the old inefficent back boiler one that was at least 25 years old when it finally couldn't be fixed.

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 22:01 #7 

mark d3
BAXI are generally excellent but only if its a duotec mk1,the new mk2 and netatec are having massive issues with gas valve failure bugs have not been ironed out yet,worcester are on par with BAXI,s duotec mk1 BUT long term the BAXI will last longer it has brass water works and a stainless steel heat exchanger,worcester have plastic water works and a aluminium silicate heat exchanger(not good)lots of fitters rave about them but over time aluminium gets eaten by the condensation process stainless steel does not,then we throw vailant in you need a extra brain to set up the timeclock,the helpline costs a fortune (even to GSR engineers like dave and i)and 2 years ago vailant put spare parts up by 200% not good if you own one in all honesty all boilers will go wrong,but in my house,and i fit /maintain them for a living its a BAXI,and as dave said the hype in the media over the reliability of condensing boilers is all down to condensate route,route it into a internal waste and it cant freeze,but if there are no alternatives fit a trace heater,its a bit like a fbh,kicks in when its cold and keeps the condensate pipe nice and warm
mark

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 22:49 #8 

mark d3
forgot to add,worcester do a call out service,£240 inc vat to repair up to 3 faults thats 240 parts and labour
mark

Posted 01 Nov 2011, 22:53 #9 

Duncan
Thanks for the replies everyone, certainly food for thought. It's always good to hear from people who deal with these things as their day job!

Posted 02 Nov 2011, 10:50 #10 

ceedy
About 1 year ago, Our old Thorn Back boiler ( in its 28 year) starting playing up only due to the Electrickery box, Which was impossible to get, had it reapired 3 times by some gang in london 3 times it lasted about a week.
So finally decided to go the new condensing boiler way , which meant due to pipework and newflue on another outside wall etc it had to be completly reinstalled .
Got a Worcester bosch greenstar sorted/fitted via plumber friend of Son, subsidised by warmfront ( as i'm an oldy). ( total cost to me 800 quids :)
But since its been in everything works ok , but even including the recent GAS Price hikes my monthly bill has doubled compared to the old boiler ?? so not much saving there then ? :cry:

C.
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 10:16 #11 

Bermudan 75
As an energy assessor I come across many old boilers and when the Energy Performance Certificate is produced, software generated piece of paper from my input, the recommendation is to replace with a Band A boiler.

My clients ask if they should do that, my advice is, if the present boiler is working ok don't waste money on a new one. Especially if you are selling the property.

Why do so many people pay over the odds for Worcester Bosch boilers? other reputable makes are available, and cheaper.

Just my two penny worth thoughts one the subject.

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 10:35 #12 

ceedy
Just to clarify ... my 800 was for the boiler Fitted & installed .
This included new gas run :-D
As I did a fair bit of the new wet pipework myself ( as I did with the original boiler ).

I did masses of reading about boilers and their costs /reliabibility before jumping in .
From the variety of prices I found everywhere.. even for the same boiler, this is a real
bend the customer opportunity market! ;)
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 03 Nov 2011, 11:15 #13 

PaulT
Rover418275 wrote:As an energy assessor I come across many old boilers and when the Energy Performance Certificate is produced, software generated piece of paper from my input, the recommendation is to replace with a Band A boiler.

My clients ask if they should do that, my advice is, if the present boiler is working ok don't waste money on a new one. Especially if you are selling the property.

Why do so many people pay over the odds for Worcester Bosch boilers? other reputable makes are available, and cheaper.

Just my two penny worth thoughts one the subject.

Just sold our old house that had a very old boiler. The purchasers decided that they wanted a full survey and the surveyor wantred to see the boiler. We had lived in the house for 10 years and it was old when we bought it. The only problem we had was one of the thermostats failing which cost about £2 on the Internet.

The surveyors attitude was 'if it is working leave it alone'. We did also have a conversation about the cost of new v any energy savings and it firmly came down on the side of old if working.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 07 Nov 2011, 11:49 #14