Not sure if this should go here or the M47R section, but... by BingleyThe75

• Related topics: (no related topics)

BingleyThe75
Is it possible to modify the diesel preheated unit to fit a petrol car? I remember it was an aftermarket item available for the first generation land rover discoveries. A different system obviously but the same principle and I would assume you can get similar setups in places like Sweden though I'm not sue. Can anone shed any light?
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 24 Jun 2013, 21:38 #1 

MrDoodles
As the K Series (in all guises) is one of the quickest engines to warm up, I have to ask, why you would want to? :confused:

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 07:57 #2 

BingleyThe75
Because it would be nice to come out to a warm car on a morning as leather seats get bloody cold! And it saves deicing the car on a horrid morning... Plus its another string to the bow of an already immensely capable car.

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 11:55 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Some light reading material.

http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/pre-heaters/cars/

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 12:01 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Some more light reading
http://www.webasto.com/fileadmin/webast ... ochure.pdf

Page 9 refers to petrol as the fuel source but I cannot find any further information. It may be a typo but unlikely as I believe any fuel type can be used with the appropriate equipment.

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 12:19 #5 

ceedy
Mick wrote:Some light reading material.

http://www.kenlowe.co.uk/pre-heaters/cars/

Nice , Bit of a bummer if you have to park in the street :-D :-D

re the webasto pdf... only saw 6 pages ?? tho ' ;)
Not sure I would fancy putting petrol through what is just a Small CH boiler :shock: :-D

re. fitting an MGR FBH (Fuel burning heater.) on a petrol hmmm ... ezzy , apart from the location in the engine bay , the water works the fuel supply and new little diesel tank somewhere, bit of wiring for manual or remote control switching. . rather you than me!! ( I've already got one in ! :-D )
not impossible tho ' defin a bit of a project !! :-D

C.
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 12:30 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
ceedy wrote:
Mick wrote:re the webasto pdf... only saw 6 pages ?? tho ' ;)

Pages are side by side ;) 11 numbered pages in all.

I should think that all the peripheral parts from a diesel FBH can be used, substituting a petrol burner unit for the diesel one.

Here is an example from a range rover.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-FR ... 35c688617a

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 12:43 #7 

Bermudan 75
BingleyThe75 wrote:Because it would be nice to come out to a warm car on a morning as leather seats get bloody cold! And it saves deicing the car on a horrid morning... Plus its another string to the bow of an already immensely capable car.

Try upgrading to heated seats :thumbsup:

Cheers

Mike

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 13:15 #8 

Duncan
Webasto do both petrol and diesel preheaters. They look identical, but must have differing jet sizes and so on at a guess. Your big problem would probably be space. Certainly on the V6, probably on the K16, the space where it goes on a diesel is taken by the air filter box. On some VW group vehicles, it's under the wing.

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 14:39 #9 

Last edited by Duncan on 25 Jun 2013, 15:14, edited 1 time in total.

MrDoodles
BingleyThe75 wrote:Because it would be nice to come out to a warm car on a morning as leather seats get bloody cold! And it saves deicing the car on a horrid morning... Plus its another string to the bow of an already immensely capable car.

Well I have to say that IMO, it would be easier (and cheaper) simply to get some heated seats and Bathrobe Locking activated on a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System), but each to their own! :-?

Posted 25 Jun 2013, 15:07 #10 

Roverite
If you have access to mains electricity, ie., your car is on the driveway, there used to be an immersion type heater that was plumbed into one of the water hoses; it may be marketed by Kenlowe. A neighbour of mine puts a fan-heater in the car, half an hour, or so, before he leaves home; seems to work well enough.

Roverite.

Posted 26 Jun 2013, 14:12 #11 

BingleyThe75
My leather seats are heated but they don't work. I think the element's gone in them as the light still comes on in the buttons...

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 00:26 #12 

MrDoodles
BingleyThe75 wrote:My leather seats are heated but they don't work. I think the element's gone in them as the light still comes on in the buttons...

So wouldn't it be an idea to get these sorted 1st?

As this may sort your problem a lot easier and cheaper!

Posted 27 Jun 2013, 08:03 #13