Noise when pulling away by MN190

MN190
Just started getting a loud noise when pulling away after starting from cold. :confused:
No noise other than normal when stood still no matter what revs applied :)

Once on the move no more noise and then after the engine has been running no more noise when pulling away again.
Noise is similar to a cross between a loud rumble as if the exhaust is blowing or something being dragged.
It doesn't get any louder with differnt revs and no signs of exhaust blowing

Any ideas?

Posted 02 Feb 2012, 22:49 #1 

Last edited by MN190 on 02 Feb 2012, 23:54, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
Problem with suspension I would think.

Posted 02 Feb 2012, 23:44 #2 

MN190
If its the suspension why no noise when the engine is warm and pulling away from a standing start? :confused:

Posted 02 Feb 2012, 23:57 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Might be worth checking the rear engine mount. Is there any abnormal vibration along with the noise?

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 00:19 #4 

MN190
Now its light I think I have found the problem.
Rear back box hanging bracket broken. Half of it still in place and half hanging down.
Rear of Exhaust has dropped slightly too - it wasn't like that when it was light last night nor was part of the bracket hanging down.

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 08:39 #5 

PaulT
MN190 wrote:Now its light I think I have found the problem.
Rear back box hanging bracket broken. Half of it still in place and half hanging down.
Rear of Exhaust has dropped slightly too - it wasn't like that when it was light last night nor was part of the bracket hanging down.

Beware the rogue fairies :-D
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 12:15 #6 

MN190
Don’t know about the rouge fairies but the one of engineer fairies definetly worked his magic on it.

Asked if I could have some wire and borrow a couple of tools to make it secure before driving home.
So moved it round to the workshop and I went back to the office as the door was locked.

Came back about 30 minutes or so later, after getting distracted sorting something else out. Came round the corner to find a forklift holding up one side very carefully with a wooden block between the forks and the lifting point. The bottom exhaust bracket had been removed and had been used as a template to make a new one from Stainless. All fitted but only after some final tweeks to make sure it was supporting the back box and the exhaust tail pipes where in the right position. :hail:

Posted 03 Feb 2012, 21:38 #7 

Mick
(Site Admin)
What a result, some good folks there. :)

Posted 04 Feb 2012, 00:05 #8