Night Shifts by Borg Warner

Borg Warner
Question for the shift workers amongst us.

I've just started doing nights, what works for you with getting in to the staying awake routine for your first night and then getting back to your normal day routine after afterwards?

Gazza

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 13:56 #1 

Bermudan 75
Beer :cheers:

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 14:06 #2 

Bernard
I was lucky, never needed much sleep. So I loved the night shift as it gave me a lot of daylight hours to do other things. I only got my head down at around 3pm for about 3 hours. It worked for me but some people couldn't adjust at all.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 17:24 #3 

MN190
Long time since I did them but I used to try and stay up later on the day before and then sleep in later
Always used to find 4am the killer time

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 17:43 #4 

Borg Warner
MN190 wrote:Long time since I did them but I used to try and stay up later on the day before and then sleep in later
Always used to find 4am the killer time

Think that's the option I shall try.

As for the beer, no good on duty I'm afraid. Unless you're buying? One of the benefits of shift I find is that you seem to get more time. Strange.

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 18:36 #5 

MN190
I agree once I changed to days you don't seem to get as much time.
Easier to get things done when you aren't at work while other people are

Posted 20 Jan 2012, 22:58 #6 

BADLAD
I agree with mn190. I stay up late the night before my first, then get up really early on my first day off so I can sleep again on the night. Get warm and make the room dark, you'll go to sleep.

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 09:07 #7 

Tootall
I did 15yrs of shift work at Longbridge when starting my fortnight of nights i would try and get a couple of hours of sleep in the afternoon just to to tide me over but i would always find the second night the worse for feeling tried. After i had finished nights i would grab a few hours of sleep but always felt rough until my body clock got but into sync.
Ex-Longbridge track monkey.

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 16:49 #8 

Borg Warner
I shall only be doing 2x2 then 1x3 ove a month. If it was a week of nights I think it would be better?

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 18:26 #9 

Bernard
Borg Warner wrote:I shall only be doing 2x2 then 1x3 ove a month. If it was a week of nights I think it would be better?

It's the changeover that's the problem. I persuaded the company to let me do a 4 month stint of nights. I have to say that it was fantastic for me as I was building a house at the time and had loads of daylight hours and from Friday morning to Monday night off every week. I was also much, much younger then!
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 21 Jan 2012, 19:07 #10