MS Office 2010 trial by Dave (Page 1 of 2)

Dave
Or 2013 I guess, if 2010 is not the current version....

Anyway, I have a PowerPoint presentation done on 2007 which I'd like to convert to a video file, but whilst a quick Google reveals plenty of software options for this, I don't really like the look of any of them. The same search reveals that PP 2010 onwards has a built in function for this

Would be happy to download this but not sure if all features are on the trial version, and also uncertain as to whether or not it might stuff up my current Office install (which is a mixture of 2003 and 2007!)

Anyone have any experience of this?

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 17:03 #1 

humphshumphs
You should be able to download a trial version from Microsoft. They try and push you to Office365, but I seem to remember being able to download a version of Office 2013 to put onto a load of new PCs I built for a client.

If you can't find it, let me know and I'll see if I can blow a copy onto CD for you and post it.
Richard

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 17:35 #2 

Dave
Cheers Richard

As I say, I only want it for the one task, and don't want to risk being stuck with it (or messing up my mainly 2003 current install) - do you know if it's reversible?

Posted 20 Jan 2014, 23:22 #3 

humphshumphs
Dave wrote:Cheers Richard

As I say, I only want it for the one task, and don't want to risk being stuck with it (or messing up my mainly 2003 current install) - do you know if it's reversible?

If you already have an office install, it will probably 'upgrade' it. And in the past, I have never found that when you uninstall, it does it properly. So tbh I wouldn't put it over your current install.

If you have another PC, then use that.
Richard

Posted 21 Jan 2014, 06:57 #4 

Dave
Thanks for the advice Richard - sounds like it's best to leave well alone and find another solution!

Posted 21 Jan 2014, 09:56 #5 

Bermudan 75
Did you manage to sort this out Dave?

Cheers

Mike

Posted 09 Mar 2014, 19:40 #6 

Dave
TBH no!

I have just left it at the mo, as guessing that ultimately I'll end up with the newer Office/Powerpoint :(

(would like to do the conversion before then, but it's not imperative)

Posted 09 Mar 2014, 22:11 #7 

Jürgen
Dave, did you have a look at Apache OpenOffice yet? Maybe it's worth a try.

Posted 09 Mar 2014, 23:48 #8 

Dave
Jürgen wrote:Dave, did you have a look at Apache OpenOffice yet? Maybe it's worth a try.

Sorry Jürgen, only just seen this (been away)

Will have a look at the link, thanks! :)

Posted 18 Mar 2014, 16:36 #9 

Dave
Jürgen wrote:Dave, did you have a look at Apache OpenOffice yet? Maybe it's worth a try.

Had a look last night but couldn't see anything about .ppt to video conversions... :(

Never mind! :)

Might give this one a try. Looks genuine enough, and can't argue with free! :mrgreen:

Posted 21 Mar 2014, 18:31 #10 

Dave
The one I mentioned above was hopeless! Had a couple of goes with it and each time it turned a 5 minute Powerpoint presentation into a two second fuzzy mess!

Does someone have the new version of Powerpoint (or similar software that actually works) who could do the conversion for me?! :mrgreen: I have uploaded the file so it's available to download!

Posted 22 Mar 2014, 19:51 #11 

PaulT
Dave

I've got 2010 and willing to have a go for you.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 22 Mar 2014, 20:27 #12 

Jürgen
Dave wrote:The one I mentioned above was hopeless!

Dave, sorry to hear it hasn't worked out so far.

Posted 22 Mar 2014, 22:28 #13 

Dave
PaulT wrote:Dave

I've got 2010 and willing to have a go for you.

Thanks Paul!

Hope it's not too large a file! :D

Posted 22 Mar 2014, 22:44 #14 

Last edited by Dave on 31 Mar 2014, 18:13, edited 1 time in total.

Dave
Jürgen wrote:
Dave wrote:The one I mentioned above was hopeless!

Dave, sorry to hear it hasn't worked out so far.

Cheers Jürgen! (btw, it was the program I found that was hopeless, not the one you recommended!)

Posted 22 Mar 2014, 22:45 #15 

PaulT
Hi Dave

Now converted to a WMV file (now 163MB) - you should then be able to convert it to whatever you want.

Obviously need to get it back to you but I have nowhere I can upload it to - any suggestions - or I can burn it to a DVD and post it to you.

Perhaps you would either email or pm me.
Paul

Posted 23 Mar 2014, 12:28 #16 

Dave
Thanks Paul! Much appreciated!

Don't want it to cost you anything, so I wonder if there's somewhere that such a file can be uploaded to, along the lines of a PhotoBucket type thingey? (It crossed my mind earlier that although I was able to put it somewhere for you, there might not be the same availability the other way around!)

Posted 23 Mar 2014, 12:45 #17 

PaulT
Dave happy to post it and the cost of a stamp is not going to bankrupt me. Will take a couple of days more to get to you as I am in France at present. If that is OK PM me your address and I will post it tomorrow.

Or perhaps someone else has ideas on how to transfer it.
Paul

Posted 23 Mar 2014, 13:15 #18 

Dave
Thanks Paul, very decent of you!

If no-one else can come up with an uploading solution, then I'll obviously take you up on this :)

(btw, as you will have seen, the ppt file is not spectacular, but it would be nice to be able to sit back and watch it on the TV to rekindle old memories, rather than squashed around a laptop!)

Posted 23 Mar 2014, 14:14 #19 

PaulT
Photos are very important - reminders of past times
Paul

Posted 23 Mar 2014, 15:55 #20