MOT woes by SpongeBob

SpongeBob
This week has not been the best of weeks. My car went in for it's annual MOT on Tuesday but failed on the exhaust and a rear tyre. :(

To be fair, the exhaust was the original (2004 car) so it's done well. The problems came when they tried to replace the tyre. No locking wheel nut key :-o I don't know where it is either. It's certainly not in the car and I can't recall having ever taken it out and put it somewhere else but I guess at some point I must have done because as of yet it hasn't turned up. To make matters worse the garage say they don't have a key that fits and neither do the mobile wheel fitters they use :confused: :(

So five days on and the car is still in the garage with as of yet no hope of returning until I can provide a wheel nut key. No hope of a picture of the offending nut either because, you know... the car is at the garage :gmc:

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 03:40 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
That's a right nuisance, was this an OEM locker or something third party you fitted yourself? If OEM it's probably the common no.12.
What exhaust system are you proposing to fit? I presume it's the back box that has gone.

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 09:48 #2 

raistlin
In my experience, a locking wheel nut is susceptible to a little brute force if the car is in a garage. The mechanic I use tells me that he frequently sees the same situation and has not yet been faced with one he cannot remove, albeit rendering the wheel nut useless.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 10:16 #3 

kandyman
Not good,

I was changing my brake discs the other week and it took me 1/2 to find my wheel key somehow when I had new tyres fitted last month I some how put the key in the rear passengers door card pocket.

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 10:17 #4 

MrDoodles
Yeah, have a REALLY good search round the car 1st, as they can end up in the strangest places! ;)

I've found them in glove boxes, centre consoles, door pockets, under seats, armrests, sellotaped to the spare wheel etc etc, :-o

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 10:20 #5 

SpongeBob
No doubt the wheel key will be lurking in the garage somewhere. I'll have a good old rummage in a bit and see what I can turn up.

Posted 04 Nov 2012, 13:34 #6 

SpongeBob
Well, the locking key was thankfully found and now my car has returned home safe and sound :thumbsup: As a bonus, the exhaust they fitted sounds rather warbly with a nice bass note to it :D

Posted 06 Nov 2012, 00:17 #7 

bopperbrian
The first thing I did when I bought the car, (well probably the 5th or 6th) was to check for the locking wheelnut key.... Missing. On to Ebay and within 4 days I have the part, a number 12, and have tested it and placed it in the bootspace where it should be.

Posted 06 Nov 2012, 14:20 #8 

kandyman
SpongeBob wrote:Well, the locking key was thankfully found and now my car has returned home safe and sound :thumbsup: As a bonus, the exhaust they fitted sounds rather warbly with a nice bass note to it :D

So where did they find it ?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Posted 09 Nov 2012, 19:45 #9 

SpongeBob
I found it in the garage in a box I thought I had already looked in :em:

My excuse is that it was dark when I first looked... :gmc:

Posted 10 Nov 2012, 15:12 #10