Model Making in 1/12 by Mad-Monkey

Mad-Monkey
Morning chaps!

I know there's a few people who have an interest in model railways so hoping you can help. I am wanting to build a castle in 1/12 scale which is fairly straight forward. However, I want to clad the outside in stone block, it's actual structure is MDF. I have some dolls house molds of normal size brick but nothing suitable for castle blocks. I've had a look at these http://hirstarts.mivamerchant.net/mm5/merchant.mvc? And although not in 1/12 I think they'd be ok but I'd have to slim them down otherwise it will weigh a lot!! Has anybody seen anything better I could use? I don't like the textured papers, and anything that can be touched I like to make as real as possible. Even if it was a few blocks I can make my own molds from, but I can't do it from scratch I'm not that clever!

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 09:08 #1 

Jumper
I did this once to make a castle for the kids years ago. Take your point about realism and textured paper,.... but... I used sandpaper (differing grades can produce the illusion of finer 'stone' surfaces). I folded the sheets from the back to give the horizontal courses of stone blocks and then turned over to remove the grit with a 1/8th chisel (the voids then painted grey). Vertical courses were done with a ruler from the front. Where a castle corner came looked very real because the angle could be placed wherever you wanted it. It's cheap as well!

Posted 23 Apr 2012, 11:15 #2 

Mad-Monkey
Not too sure what you mean. Did you make 3D blocks from the sand paper?

This is the kind of thing I want, but not with the price tag ideally. Although I may end up saving and buying a bit! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAL-STONE-Mi ... _892wt_689

Also can you get 1/12 train track? Plenty of people with setups but I can't find any shops!

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 14:27 #3 

Mad-Monkey
Ok some googling shows 1/12th to be 5in gauge track which is the large sit on type trains!

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 14:36 #4 

Jumper
Monk wrote:Not too sure what you mean. Did you make 3D blocks from the sand paper?

This is the kind of thing I want, but not with the price tag ideally. Although I may end up saving and buying a bit! http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REAL-STONE-Mi ... _892wt_689

Also can you get 1/12 train track? Plenty of people with setups but I can't find any shops!

No, the castle was made from MDF/ply and the sandpaper 'wallpapered' on. A big advantage was that differing sizes and shapes of 'stones' could be made for Gothic window mullions etc.

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 18:07 #5 

Mad-Monkey
Oh I get you now! It's a good idea, but I want a more 3D stone look. I'll probably go for the real stone blocks in the link, it'll end up weighing the same as a castle :gmc:

Posted 24 Apr 2012, 20:31 #6 

Bermudan 75
Monk wrote:Ok some googling shows 1/12th to be 5in gauge track which is the large sit on type trains!

Like Virgin and TransPennine? :gmc:

Posted 28 Apr 2012, 08:54 #7