Modifed Handbrake Compensator MK 2 by Arctic (Page 1 of 2)

Arctic
(Trader)
I will from now on be sending out a Mk 2 compensator which is held together with a clevis pin instead of using the old pin which had to be cutoff/ground down once reinserted punched to open the end or in some cases with the very first one's welded.
This came about after i was contacted Ian Champion whom asked to send two shackles to him as he was thinking of using a clevis pin this i did and he kindly got back intouch with me with the results and it turned out to be a very nice job indeed.

I then asked him to send me a clevis pin so i could see how long it would take to modify a compensator with this pin you still have to cut the top off the old pin punch it out but no grinding involved there the pin is a little to long at 1.1/4" so as to be cut down then re-drilled for the split pin to go through the back of the compensator can now be elongated instead of being drilled a little larger and the threaded head of the stainless steel shackle having to be ground down.

I have tried this with two sizes of clevis pins a 5/16th x1" one which seems to work well but the best result comes from a 3/8 x 1.1/4" clevis pin a bit to long as i say and needs to be re-drilled and cut down, i have purchased 200 clevis and 200 split pins for this MK2 compensator.

I have to-date sent out three of these with more people on the waiting list i would like to thank Ian for his brilliant idea with regards using a clevis pin a bit more work and a bit more expense but i and he think a more tidy job so IAN photo's below of the old compensator and the MK2 all the best Arctic.

Pic 1 new compensator before being stretched
Image1

Pic 2 after being stretched in this case 10mm

Pic 3 Mk1 compensator with ground down threaded eye
Image3

Pic 4 elongated back compensator hole with out the clevis pin using the old pin which note is punched
Image4

PIc 5/6/7 with the clevis pin now being used in the Mk 2 compensator
Image5

Image6

Image7

Pic 8 both sides of the Mk 2 compensator
Image8

Pic's 9 with the 5/16 clevis pin
Image9

Pic 10 with the 3/8 pin which i ahve decided to go with
Image10

Pic's 11/12 all the compensators together from front left new one,right strtched one, back row MK 1 with old pin punched,middle 5/16th clevis pin, back right 3/8" clevis pin.
Image11

Image12
Progress waits for no one at the moment all compensators are out waiting return and i have a waiting list of 6 with 11 compensators in total but they will be sent out to first come first served or to those whom can do a quick turn round remember this is a 45min job on your own with two about 20 mins mind i have done some on my own in 20mins used to them now if interested PM me cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 20:17 #1 

Last edited by Arctic on 29 Jul 2012, 19:04, edited 4 times in total.

Duncan
Looks like another improvement step, well done.

Posted 10 Nov 2011, 20:27 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
This is how i fitt the modified handbrake compensator.

First move the front seats as far forward as they will go also as low a they will go this will help you get to the two screws which need to be removed from the either side of the console use a long posidrive if you have one. Fig 1
Image1

Next remove the rear ash tray this should pull out easy to expose two 10mm bolts Fig 2/3
Image2

Image3

Remove the two 10mm bolts and set aside safely with the two screws from the console earlier Fig 4
Image4

Now remove the carpet trim from both rear doors slide these off do not pull them off or you will either brake the clips or the carpet trim Fig 5
Image5

Next pull up each corner of the back seat it will just pop up with a tug lift carpet off the square lug just underneath and peel the carpet forward to the seatbelt anchor both sides Fig 6
Image6

Now back to the handbrake gaiter which can either be removed completely or just peeled up and forward Fig 7
Image7

Once removed this will expose the handbrake nut adjuster Fig 8
Image8

You can now undo this nut to the end of the thread no need to remove it completely a deep 13mm socket is needed for this also a long extension bar if you have one makes it easier once adjuster nut is at end of the thread take leavehandbrake in the off postion . Fig 9
Image9

Next go back to the rear of the console and lift it up enough fo you to see the handbrake compensator and wedge it up with a pice of wood or if someone is helping you get them to hold it up for you. Fig 10
Image10

Image11

You can now get access to cut the little pice of carpet over the compensator front cable this is not always required depending how much access you have later once carpet as been raised to remove the compensator cover it just makes it a little easier i think. Fig 12
Image12

Now either on your own or with help lift and peel carpet up to expose the compensator steel cover with three torx screws Fig 13
Image13

You can now proceed to remove the three torx screws one either side and one on top Fig 14
Image14

Once the cover is removed this will give you total access to the compensator you will see a little black clip in the front part of the compensator squeeze this together and remove keep this safe as it needs to go back later.Fig 15
Image15

You can now release the front cable then the rear cables Fig 16
Image16

Next fit the modifed compensator front cable first remembering to fit the black clip Fig 17
Image17

Now fit the two rear cables Fig 18
Image18

Next pull handbrake up two clicks only Fig 19
Image19

Now adjust the nut down to 25mm always taking measurement with a rule or tape once achieved refit the everything back in reverse to .Fig 20/21
Image20

Image21

To fine tune the handbrake to should adjust at rear knurled nut on either back drum i have on several occasions not needed to do this as the hand brake as been fine on 3/4 clicks i have also adjusted the handbrake nut up to 27mm this depends on your self i hope this will help you in your task of fitting the stainless steel handbrake compensator and should not give you any trouble again Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 11 Nov 2011, 02:23 #3 

Last edited by Arctic on 19 Jul 2012, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

ceedy
What sort of performance Do we expect from a Modded H-Brake in optimum nick.
Being a heavy car with these small drums, it probably not going to leave black marks in the road or Jump off the MOT rollers
like our metro and old Mini did . ?
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 15 Mar 2012, 18:17 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Chris.
You will not believe how good these stainless steel modified handbrake compensators work you will leave black tyre marks in the road and it as been reported of three cars jumping of the rollers including my own Tourer when it passed its test in Sept 2011 with no adviseries also you should never need to change the compensator again as it can not stretch just maintain your drum shoes and the dust build up in them Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 00:02 #5 

MN190
Since fitting mine if I forget to take the handbrake off and pull away the car stalls.
Before fitting it didn't make any difference.

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 00:59 #6 

Arctic
(Trader)
MN190 wrote:Since fitting mine if I forget to take the handbrake off and pull away the car stalls.
Before fitting it didn't make any difference.

Hi Mark
Yours must be working then :lol: at least at lights now if your car was to jump forward for any reason the hand brake would stop it from going into the back of the car in front :thumbsup: Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 13:25 #7 

Arctic
(Trader)
Nine of the new modified compensators finished today these are ready to be shipped out to whom would like one four are allocated already that leaves 5 but are also on the 75/zt club all the best Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 20 Mar 2012, 16:26 #8 

johnny the fox
Arctic can i have one of your modified compensators,how do i pay etc?

Regards
John

Posted 21 Mar 2012, 09:15 #9 

Arctic
(Trader)
johnny the fox wrote:Arctic can i have one of your modified compensators,how do i pay etc?

Regards
John

Hi John PM sent with details Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 22 Mar 2012, 02:14 #10 

stroheim
Hi Arctic can I buy one of your compensator --thanks
Les

Posted 01 Apr 2012, 16:04 #11 

Arctic
(Trader)
stroheim wrote:Hi Arctic can I buy one of your compensator --thanks
Les

Hi Les PM sent on how to obtain cheers Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Apr 2012, 22:02 #12 

stroheim
Received the compensator thanks Steve. Originally going to fit it on the weekend but couldn't wait so fitted it yesterday followed the instructions which were very useful. I decided to take the radio out and remove the four screws as well it gave me a bit more height on the end of the tunnel but this is not entirely necessary. I wedged up the carpet with my jack a bit. I had to but spacer washers in my old compensator but now the new one is great and I have a three click handbrake ,well worth doing I would like to thank Steve for the effort and hard work in producing a very good mod

Posted 04 Apr 2012, 09:58 #13 

Zeb
Brilliant work! Can I ask how much they are please? (I know that info will already be around somewhere...but...)

Posted 05 Apr 2012, 06:15 #14 

pob06
Nice one Arctic. The (now) Mk 1 you kindly fitted for me at the Nano meet has worked wonders btw :-)
Despite the high cost of living its still proving popular.

Posted 07 Apr 2012, 11:32 #15 

gramshep
Hi Can I order one of your compensators please? Can you PM price and postage etc.

Thanks

Graham

Posted 22 Apr 2012, 21:47 #16 

Arctic
(Trader)
Alan
You have a PM regarding a compensator for you MOT cheers Arctic. :thumbsup:
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 27 May 2012, 13:48 #17 

bruno1926
Hi Arctic

Could I be added to the list for a compensator I've got the MOT due in 3 weeks.
Thanks

Posted 06 Jun 2012, 17:07 #18 

Jumper
Steve, I had the good fortune to get one of your earlier ones and can confirm the fitting of it was fiddly but well within my limited capabilities. Not only that, but it works as well! I must confess the pics of the stretched rod are astounding. I would never have believed that a steel bar of that dimension would yield to tensile testing like that if I hadn't seen those pics and I wonder what load there is on the h'brake lever? I would expect long-term stress to stretch the cables (after all that's what the adjuster is for) but are we sure it's a steel rod and not Ready-Brek?

Posted 07 Jun 2012, 18:31 #19 

Arctic
(Trader)
We are only a month away from the nano meet at the four ashes 21st & 22nd July so i will be posting a list up in the very near future for those whom would like to obtain a modified stainless steel compensator and get it fitted at the nano i will also set up a post on how to contact me if you wish to obtain one and fit it your self but there is a seven day turn round needed for these compenators cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 19 Jun 2012, 18:08 #20