Machine gun noise from the engine by Lesley

Lesley
I have a Rover 75 deisel 2ltr bmw engine and it has started to make a machine gun noise when it is started and while decelerating, seems to get less when the throttle is engaged, any ideas the garage think it is oil pressure but no lights have come on on the dashboard.

Posted 05 Jul 2018, 11:54 #1 

Duncan
Not one I have come across. But the oil pressure light only comes on when oil pressure is disastrously low. So they could easily be right.

Posted 05 Jul 2018, 20:42 #2 

Arctic
(Trader)
When was your PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve) last replaced, also crank pulley last changed ? or is it still the original, any chance you could stick up a video of said noise Arctic
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Jul 2018, 00:57 #3 

Last edited by Arctic on 26 Dec 2020, 10:53, edited 2 times in total.

Lesley
Thanks so much for your responses, Artic you are correct, the crank pully at the bottom of the fan belts has a perished rubber and the to joining parts were banging againt each other, garage found the problem and with new part it cost 250 pounds, just very happy to have my beloved rover back to normal.

Posted 06 Jul 2018, 12:36 #4 

Arctic
(Trader)
Lesley wrote:Thanks so much for your responses, Artic you are correct, the crank pully at the bottom of the fan belts has a perished rubber and the to joining parts were banging againt each other, garage found the problem and with new part it cost 250 pounds, just very happy to have my beloved rover back to normal.

Hi Lesley.
Now with three years use of your crank pulley under your belt is it still going ok, which pulley got fitted did you know, was it a corteco or another make, if another make which part was it please, it would be good to know if there are any other makes out there which are reliable cheers Arctic.
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 06 Sep 2021, 07:03 #5