Laptop to TV by ardvark

ardvark
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have an large tv which we want to use as a pc screen. We have a laptop with a VGA female port and want to connect it to our TV which has 3 coloured female RCA jacks. Is it a simple case of getting a cable with a male VGA plug at one end and 3 male RCA jacks at the other and "plug and play"?
Please note the TV has NOT got a VGA port. Only 2x scart ports, 1x aerial port, 1x headphones port and the 3x coloured ports ( red,white and yellow)

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 09:58 #1 

MrB
ardvark wrote:--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have an large tv which we want to use as a pc screen. We have a laptop with a VGA female port and want to connect it to our TV which has 3 coloured female RCA jacks. Is it a simple case of getting a cable with a male VGA plug at one end and 3 male RCA jacks at the other and "plug and play"?
Please note the TV has NOT got a VGA port. Only 2x scart ports, 1x aerial port, 1x headphones port and the 3x coloured ports ( red,white and yellow)

Am not sure it is that simple as the vga carries pictures only, so the vga will go to one of the colours (yellow I think) and the sound needs to go the other 2 of the colours???

Am sure someone will be along who has better knowledge than I.....
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 12:28 #2 

SpongeBob
The short answer is you'll need additional hardware. The VGA signal or even more modern DVI signals are not going to be understood by a TV unless it's been designed with that in mind, which as you have deduced, yours does not.

I'm not sure what current PC hardware is out there at the moment but my best bet would be for a USB dongle type adapter that will output PAL signals either as component RGB ( the yello cable describe above or can be through a scart lead) or as a RF signal (i.e. What you get through your regular ariel).

Your laptop must support USB2.0 interfaces though for the hardware to work. You also won't get any sound out unless the hardware is designed to output sound too.

Hopefully someone will have some more specific ideas/examples for you too. :)

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 13:54 #3 

AndyG
You need something like this. About £40.

vga.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ZTT 400 SHM "Super Brick"
ZS180 x 3 (2 Trophy Blue, 1 x Le Mans Green)
ZR160 XPG "Rabblt" Reg X30 VVC
Triumph Speed Triple

Posted 09 Sep 2010, 17:40 #4