Laptop screen issues by Dave

Dave
About three months ago, one of the dogs managed to knock my laptop on the floor. It still worked, but there was a crack bottom right, which I soon got used to.

About a month ago, Gill was vacuuming, it was charging, the vacuum caught the cable and... once more on the floor! Again, still worked, but this time there was a crack going from bottom left, up to the middle, and then down to meet the original one. The "segments" it left all appeared to have a slightly different colour/contrast so time for a new one, which I ordered

After a few days plucking up the nerve to swap it, I gave it a go. First attempt failed as the connector must have come loose on refitting. Second go, I taped the connector up, and other then cutting my finger on a sharp piece of plastic, all went well!

However, I soon noticed an odd area top left, which was possibly a dead pixel, although didn't appear black (it was blue, so maybe a stuck pixel) and had a halo effect around it. The supplier offered some money back or exchange, and I opted for the former, but before the deal was sorted, the whole screen went odd, with stripes all over it rendering it unusable. A refit didn't sort this, so I asked for an exchange and put the original, broken, screen back on

Screen #2 arrived quickly and was fitted. Initially all appeared fine, but I soon noticed that the brightness was very low, even when cranked up to 100% (from the 60% or so that it was initially on). When emailing the supplier about this I also notice a wavy line about 2" in from the right, all the way from top to bottom, which wasn't coloured but distorted text. So this screen went back too, for a refund

I then ordered a screen from a different supplier. I put it on and although there's no dead pixels or distorted wavy lines, this one is also very dull - perhaps not as dull as screen #2, but still very taxing on the eyes. Also there's a thin strip top left, extending horizontally around 4" across the very edge of the screen, starting around 1mm deep and thinning to nothing. There's a physical edge all the way across the top, which you can feel with a fingernail (not present on the old screen) and a small chip top left, although this is not visible with the screen on

So, does anyone know if this is the best I'm going to get? If I reject this one too, will another one likely also have problems? Is there any way to improve the brightness or do I just have to live with it? I really don't want another laptop (can't afford one currently and I don't want the pain of swapping all my data and programs over)

Any advice appreciated! The laptop is a Toshiba Satellite C70D-B-10U btw

Posted 14 Oct 2019, 11:41 #1 

Bermudan 75
Would it be worth taking it to a PC repair shop?

Posted 14 Oct 2019, 13:59 #2 

MrDoodles
Are you using genuine Toshiba screens, or pattern parts?

Posted 14 Oct 2019, 15:23 #3 

Dave
Bermudan 75 wrote:Would it be worth taking it to a PC repair shop?

Probably, but trying to keep costs down! :)

MrDoodles wrote:Are you using genuine Toshiba screens, or pattern parts?

Ordered as genuine, but then both places have a disclaimer that "we might supply compatible parts" so not 100% sure!

Posted 14 Oct 2019, 17:11 #4 

MrDoodles
To be fair I did Google the Model number and it comes up as a 5 year old model, so I'm actually surprised that you can still get replacement screens for it! :-o

As with most pieces of technology, they are out of date by the date you get them home, so must admit, that I would probably put whatever a replacement screen costs, towards either a new laptop, or tablet! ;)

Posted 14 Oct 2019, 20:11 #5 

Dave
MrDoodles wrote:To be fair I did Google the Model number and it comes up as a 5 year old model, so I'm actually surprised that you can still get replacement screens for it! :-o

As with most pieces of technology, they are out of date by the date you get them home, so must admit, that I would probably put whatever a replacement screen costs, towards either a new laptop, or tablet! ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if the laptop is an older model, but I've only had it two years! :(

I'm going to try to resolve the screen issue if I can, as swapping everything over to a new machine is less preferable than sticking hot needles into my eyes! ;)

Posted 14 Oct 2019, 20:51 #6 

Duncan
You might actually find it cheaper to buy another of the same, and just put your hard disc into it.

Posted 16 Oct 2019, 16:57 #7 

Dave
Duncan wrote:You might actually find it cheaper to buy another of the same, and just put your hard disc into it.

I did think that!

Current cheapest is £130 on eBay but who knows what might turn up :)

Posted 16 Oct 2019, 17:24 #8