Knocking in front suspension by MrB

MrB
Started yesterday morning, I have a knocking in the front passenger side suspension. The drop link has always had a split in one of it's boots on this side so I replaced it, thinking that must be the cause. A job I don't want to do again in a hurry.

However, this has made no difference at all to the knocking. It definitely sounds like metal on metal. I had new lower arms and bushes fitted a few months back so am ruling those out.

It happens more over lower speed smaller bumps.

Any ideas as to where to look for a cause would be greatly received.
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 06:08 #1 

PaulT
Now I had a knock and when I looked for wear found that one of the lower arm ball joints had excessive wear. So changed that and no difference - still hunting.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 23 Jul 2011, 06:28 #2 

weeman
Check the nut on the top of the drop link is tight, also jack the car up and pull and push the wheel, any play indicates ball joint (whole new wishbone!). Could also just be brake pads rattling, have these been replaced recently without backing stickers??

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 15:58 #3 

PaulT
weeman wrote:Check the nut on the top of the drop link is tight, also jack the car up and pull and push the wheel, any play indicates ball joint (whole new wishbone!). Could also just be brake pads rattling, have these been replaced recently without backing stickers??

Mine showed up the wishbone ball joint was not well. New wishbone no difference
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 24 Jul 2011, 19:37 #4 

weeman
Must be the track rod end then surely? not much else can clunk down there apart from your shocker/spring. Take the wheel off and get someone else to give it a wiggle while you have a "feel" around.

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 06:39 #5 

MrB
Went to the Yorkie meet and after much head scratching, bouncing up and down of mMadge by her front wings and various other things it has been decided to get her up in the air and have a proper look. Will be taking her to Andy Willi's place some time this week.

Best guess was that it may be an anti-roll bar bush??

Will keep you posted

Chris
Chris
Member No. 143
Mods so far: LED sidelights, interior lights and number plate lamps, Rover Xenon Headlights, Kenlowe Fan, Synergy 2 and EGR Bypass

Posted 25 Jul 2011, 15:44 #6