Key Locked in Car? by Bartonrover

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Bartonrover
This info has been posted before but having just received it again on a round robin e-mail I thought it worth posting as a quick search found nothing on it in the forum.

"If you accidentally lock your key inside the car and you HAVE a spare key somewhere in the world, by phoning the second key holder on your mobile and getting them to press the open button on their fob close to their mobile - you can open your door by holding your mobile close to the door lock. (No, I haven't tried it but plenty of folk have and have posted confirming that it does work and it's easy enough to test). Apparently it works from the other side of the globe too.

It at least saves you the problem of getting someone to drive out to you with the spare key, Not much help if you have only one key of course - but another reason for getting that second key cut.

(The same email gave this info too - but we can't really test it:

"If you should ever be forced by a robber to withdraw money from an ATM machine, you can notify the police by entering your PIN # in reverse. For example, if your pin number is 1234, then you would put in 4321. The ATM system recognizes that your PIN number is backwards from the ATM card you placed in the machine. The machine will still give you the money you requested, but unknown to the robber, the police will be immediately dispatched to the location").

Robert

Posted 01 Mar 2011, 11:20 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Are you sure? ;) ;)

One knowing wink for each item. :lol:

Posted 01 Mar 2011, 11:46 #2 

Duncan
http://www.snopes.com/autos/techno/keyless.asp

http://www.snopes.com/business/bank/pinalert.asp

Always worth checking Snopes if you get these round robin emails. In fact, it's the emails that are the problem, they are designed that you send them to everyone on your mailing list. You send it to ten people, they send it each to ten, and so on. The number of emails generated can cause serious server problems, and the information becomes fact as it appears to come from so may sources.

Posted 01 Mar 2011, 13:08 #3 

Bartonrover
Duncan - I know, I know - I NEVER forward virus warnings etc and always check on the myth buster web sites.

But this one I checked first on this web site (no mention) and this one here - quite a few posters - including Stocktake - confirmed it worked for them.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39222&highlight=keys+mobile+phone

I'll try it but not today...

Posted 01 Mar 2011, 14:36 #4 

takestock
Bartonrover wrote:Duncan - I know, I know - I NEVER forward virus warnings etc and always check on the myth buster web sites.

But this one I checked first on this web site (no mention) and this one here - quite a few posters - including Stocktake - confirmed it worked for them.

http://www.the75andztclub.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=39222&highlight=keys+mobile+phone

I'll try it but not today...

Ah, yes I remember this thread, My twin brother did confirm with a few others it had worked, with a wink after the comment IIRC as we were all in on the joke at the time, sorry if it caused any confusion :em:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 01 Mar 2011, 15:38 #5 

Duncan
I hope I didn't offend with my comment, it wasn't meant and I was careful simply to point to the links, not make any other comments. The thing is, remote key locking is my day job, and I've done phones in the past. This one always winds me up.

The reverse PIN was an interesting one, as it seems it nearly happened in the US.

Posted 01 Mar 2011, 19:51 #6 

SpongeBob
Personally doubt the PIN thing to be correct. After all, what if your pin was 1551 or a similar palindromic (sp?) number?

Posted 02 Mar 2011, 14:56 #7 

kandyman
SpongeBob wrote:Personally doubt the PIN thing to be correct. After all, what if your pin was 1551 or a similar palindromic (sp?) number?

I'm going to have to change my pin now :(

Posted 02 Mar 2011, 17:48 #8 

Duncan
SpongeBob wrote:Personally doubt the PIN thing to be correct. After all, what if your pin was 1551 or a similar palindromic (sp?) number?

If you look at my link, the proposal seems to have been serious, and had a solution for the palindromic PIN and other similar issues, though they are not detailed.

Posted 02 Mar 2011, 18:57 #9 

Jumper
Mick wrote:Are you sure? ;) ;)

One knowing wink for each item. :lol:

Sound like someone's set a hare running.

Posted 02 Mar 2011, 20:04 #10