Key fallen to bits, help please by ned1

• Related topics: (no related topics)

ned1
Hi all

haven't a clue what one of these remotes are, I need to get mine sorted as its falling apart, needs new switches and the key blade is loose. I have however seen advertisements for key repairs for around twenty quid, anyone advise or recommend?

cheers

ned
The road to success is always under construction.

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:00 #1 

Duncan
The switches usually just come loose and need resoldering. The blade can be glued back in.

You could also get a replacement PCB (Printed Circuit Board). Member Monk on here can do various things including providing replacement PCBs and coding them to your car.

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:14 #2 

ned1
Hi Duncan thanks for the reply.

I have resorted to using the key to open the doors ( shock horror ) as the plastic buttons have gone awol, the micro switches thingamabobs went awol yonks ago and the key blade is on its third araldite bodge-it job. I heard that using the key all the time ( especially having that bloody milti stage door unlocking gubbins ) can cause damage to locks ? dunno if its true mind?

I dont mind spending a few quid but any more and I will tough it out the old way. lol

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:22 #3 

Duncan
Not sure where you are in the country (maybe update your profile?) but a conversation with David (Monk) might well give you some options. May also be worth starting your own thread, perhaps in the tech help forum to get some more opinions.

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:27 #4 

ned1
Cheers Duncan,

didn't want to showboat or add another thread, i will have a look to see if there's one already on the go, if not will start a new one. will also have a gander at changing profile info.

thanks for being patient

Ned :-)

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:32 #5 

Duncan
No problem, we try to be laid back around here!

I think a new thread is in order though as it's more likely to be seen as the subject is slightly different to this one.

I know it can be hard to decide how to play it, I've been on forums that no matter what you do someone jumps down your throat for doing something. We try not to do that here, so ask away!

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:38 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If you give me a few minutes, I'll split these posts off into a new topic and give it an appropriate title.

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 22:39 #7 

Mad-Monkey
If you're handy with a soldering iron then they can be re-soldered and you can get a new case and blade cut. I've never tried the repair services or sure what you get for your £20, if it's just soldered and replacement buttons, might be worth finding someone with some soldering skills. A new PCB is an option but you'd need to get it coded in via a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System).

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 23:12 #8 

Mad-Monkey
If you can nobble a few buttons I'll do it for you. I've got none oddly enough! Plenty of keys, no spare buttons! Depends if you can live without the pcb for a few days, which if your manually opening the doors I guess you can :)

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 23:14 #9 

ned1
Hi Mick, I have just googled PCB to try and find out what it is? doh! as for T4 coding I think I will opt for the easiest option. Honestly I am not sure if its repairable , just checked online , someone does em for 16 quid. to save me waiting for micro switches , buying new fob etc I may just post it off simply for practicality thats all. I have the link and will pm you as I am not sure if its allowed to list them here?

cheers

Ned

Posted 21 Nov 2011, 23:45 #10