Jacks & Jacking Points. by Roverite

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Roverite
I am just putting this topic up for discussion.

I always jack up my CDTi with a trolly jack under the plastic jacking pads. The problem is that the jack has a dished circular jacking 'cup', with four lugs projecting from the top. When jacking the car up, there is a slight movement between jack and car; not enough to slip off, but the pad/cap is then not centered properly.

I have seen a modification on the web, whereby a spigot was welded to the cup. I have also made up a hardwood disc, which sits in the cup and has a projection on the top side, similar to the wheel changing jack in the boot, but it is not very successful.

My theory is to purchase a hard rubber ball, about the size of a tennis ball, cut it roughly in half, so that the rounded side will fit in the cup and the flat, cut side, will sit proud of the top of the cup. Then, when the jack is raised, the jacking pad will sink into the rubber, which will then keep the jack in the central position, as the rubber in the cup will stop the half-ball jumping out of the cup and the ribs on the plastic jacking pad will grip the top side of the rubber ball.

Do other members think this will work, or do they have there own ideas?

Ideally, a fully moulded hard rubber adapter, that can be fixed to the jack lifting cup, would be the answer. Does any member have the facility to produce such an item?

Also, has any member any experience of using the CJ adjustable car ramps (one manual type & one hydraulic), as advertised on the net by CJ Autos?

Roverite.

Posted 27 Mar 2013, 14:09 #1 

Duncan
I use my trolley jack on the central front and rear points, and they sit in the cup with less worry about slipping. I then use the jacking pads for axle stands which sit very nicely on the plastic pads.

This works fine for the 75s but is not so good on my Skodas, and although I haven't done it I know of many people who do something similar to your idea on VW group products.

The difference is they use an ice hockey puck. Allegedly made of the very kind of rubber you are thinking of. For VW products you have to cut a slot so the welded seam sits in the slot. However it may suit your needs better than a half ball?

Posted 27 Mar 2013, 14:53 #2 

Roverite
Duncan wrote:
The difference is they use an ice hockey puck. Allegedly made of the very kind of rubber you are thinking of. For VW products you have to cut a slot so the welded seam sits in the slot. However it may suit your needs better than a half ball?

Does anybody know where you can buy a puck and how much they cost?

Roverite.

Posted 05 Apr 2013, 12:16 #3 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Duncan
Also available from fleabay though postage is now steep on them.

Posted 05 Apr 2013, 13:48 #5 

Roverite
Thanks Mick and Duncan; now on order @ £1.50 + £1.95 postage. I will let you know how I get on with it when the better weather comes!

Roverite.

Posted 06 Apr 2013, 13:16 #6 

Roverite
I now have the puck, which is 3" in diameter and made of very hard rubber. My problem now, is that the jack saddle is only about 2" diameter. My previous trolly jack did have a 3" saddle. My choices now are to look for a jack with a bigger saddle, or ease out the underside with a 'Dremmel', so that it sits down in the saddle. Watch this space!

Roverite.

Posted 21 Apr 2013, 08:26 #7