Is this for real? by Chartermark

Chartermark
Been away to Norfolk for the weekend, coming back the 'Engine Management Icon lit up and stayed on for 30 mins.(constant, not flashing). Checked levels, temperature etc etc - all OK.

The book says 'if engine runs normally Contact your service agent, "Do not stop using car".

As I'm exactly 3,000 miles away from the big 60,000 mile service, I pondered if the illuminated icon was an advert/reminder to 'sell a service for the dealer network', and then goes off after 500 miles or so?

I seem to remember having a car once that did this sort of pedantic Health & Safety routine, as a 'nanny/nonny warning' to placate the dealers, with an income stream. At that time the vendors were getting screwed uphill & down dale by the manufacturer shrinking margins.

Knowing the 'Phoenix Fours' proclivities it looked a likely contender?

I can't find anything wrong anywhere physically - any ideas ... ?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:26 #1 

DeuxGazoles
What engine do you have Martin?
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:29 #2 

calibrax
Chartermark wrote:the 'Engine Management Icon lit up and stayed on for 30 mins.

Chartermark wrote:then goes off after 500 miles or so

Average speed 1000mph, not bad! :lol: ;)

Was it raining at all? might have been a bit of water ingress somewhere in the wiring under the bonnet that has now dried out?
Steve

2004 MG ZT+ CDTi 135

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:32 #3 

Tourerfogey
Not heard of this on the 75 but my daughter's Peugeot has a red spanner icon that lights up when the service is becoming due so I guess it's a possibility but then what do I know ?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:32 #4 

Cowley_MOA
DeuxGazoles wrote:What engine do you have Martin?

It's an M47R Diesel mate :)
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:33 #5 

DeuxGazoles
calibrax wrote:

Was it raining at all? might have been a bit of water ingress somewhere in the wiring under the bonnet that has now dried out?

That's what I was thinking, I know 1.8s can suffer this.............I've seen it wiv me own eyes :shock:

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:34 #6 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If it has gone off and does not return just ignore it.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:37 #7 

DeuxGazoles
Cowley_MOA wrote:

In which case it could be a low fuel pressure fault or early signs of MAF (Mass Air Flow Sensor) failure

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:39 #8 

Chartermark
calibrax wrote:

No dry all weekend, but I did wash the windscreen off about an hour prior? It's feasible I suppose that water might have inveigled it's way into the intelligence somewhere. The plenums are bone dry too by the way.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:42 #9 

Chartermark
Mick wrote:If it has gone off and does not return just ignore it.

It was still on Mick, when I got home, so I'll check tomorrow?

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 21:44 #10 

Jürgen
DeuxGazoles wrote:
Cowley_MOA wrote:

In which case it could be a low fuel pressure fault or early signs of MAF failure

Some time ago I got an intermittent engine failure warning when a plug located on top of the fuel filter had a loose connection (fuel pressure sensor IIRC). But it wasn't a constant error, just for some seconds each time.

As the handbook states "Do not stop using car", I would continue using the car until the next opportunity to get a T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) session, which should locate the culprit.

Posted 27 Mar 2011, 22:50 #11 

Chartermark
Thank you Jürgen, and for your kind wishes earlier, much appreciated. I should have mentioned that I was very low on fuel (yellow light on), but with no fuel stations open at this time, I pushed on home.

Maybe the low fuel pressure suggestion could be related with only about 5 litres being in the tank?

I had a new Pierburgh Maf fitted around 30,000 miles ago, when I also added the Synergy box and an EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) bypass.

I'll fill up in the morning, and then I probably won't use the car again until a few days before the Nano meet on the 17th. As hopefully Monk and Duncan will be there, I may be able to check the fault via a T4, if it still persists.

I normally don't run so low, but I was tired, and also surprised at how early the rural fuel sites now close.

Martin

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 00:11 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Chartermark wrote:
Mick wrote:If it has gone off and does not return just ignore it.

It was still on Mick, when I got home, so I'll check tomorrow?

Misunderstood, read it as "went off after 30 mins" as in went off. ;) Before switching off.

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 12:10 #13 

Jürgen
Chartermark wrote:As hopefully Monk and Duncan will be there, I may be able to check the fault via a T4, if it still persists.

Martin, the fault code should still be readable, even if the fault itself has been cured. Just a communication problem between the testbook and the components of the car could prevent you from gaining knowledge of the cause. So for example my car doesn't want to talk to the T4 at some times.

Posted 28 Mar 2011, 14:17 #14 

Chartermark
Used the car today for the first time since Sunday. Upon start up the EMI stayed lit. I stopped after a mile or, turning off ignition. Upon restart the same persistent Icon shone away, then for no apparent reason went off.

I filled with Diesel 58 litres and since then it's behaved itself, so an enigmatic episode ends - very strange. Perhaps it's getting early dementia like it's owner?

Posted 30 Mar 2011, 12:58 #15