Intermittent starting issue by JustJames

JustJames
Hi all,
I've had three 4 cylinder K series powered Rovers in my time but never a 75. A lad I know through a non Rover motoring forum just PM'd me this.......

Quick question. My sister just told that for the last week or so her car R 75 (1.8 petrol) has decided not to start sometimes. I have not seen the car but she says that all lights come on but when turning to start, nothing further happens. Not turning, not clicking at the starter, nothing. It might then start perfectly on the 2nd, 3rd or 4th try.
Im due to change the oil in it tomorrow anyway so will have a check at earth straps, terminals etc while Im at it.
Just wondering if there is any common issue with them that you know of?

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance folks :thumbsup:

Posted 05 Mar 2011, 22:32 #1 

JohnDotCom
Flashing lights when attempting to start is generally battery change time on the 75/ZTs. But strange it starts on later attempts.

Not so good on petrol versions for other ideas, but sure others will be along later.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 02:12 #2 

takestock
Starter solenoid wears on the 75 ( assuming the 1.8 is the same as the rest of the range). you can buy the kit on ebay for under £15 and once starter is removed it's an easy fix. First check the wiring to the starter motor, the smaller of the two wires is known to suffer from poor contact and may just need a clean :)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 07:53 #3 

JohnDotCom
That sounds more likely, something else to look forward to. :lol:
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 08:56 #4 

Duncan
I agree with Dave: either the white / red wire that goes to the solenoid or the brushes inside the motor are likely candidates.

On the 75 theres another less common one. The relay inside the EWS (Engine immobiliser (EWS from the German, Elektronik WegfahrSicherung)) (immobiliser) can wear. Now other models don't use the same EWS box, but may well have a similar relay. So, check the security of the white red. If it looks OK, use a meter (or bulb or something) and check if there's 12 volts on it when the starter motor doesn't engage. If there's 12v and the starter doesn't pull in, then it's that. If there's no 12v then it's either a relay somewhere, or maybe even the ignition switch itself. You'd have to trace the circuit to find where the power stops.

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 10:31 #5 

JustJames
Cheers gents :)

Posted 06 Mar 2011, 20:05 #6