Instruments by Howie666

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Howie666
Hello. I have an annoying, perplexing fault with the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)) on my car. The speedo needle has gone to 130mph and is staying there. I have run the self test for the instruments several times, the needle just stays where it is. This happened a couple of months ago, but it seemed to fix itself. This time I haven't been so lucky.
I haven't had any of the symptoms associated with a faulty ABS (Antilock Braking System) sensor - no ABS light, all the other gauges work normally. I am in the process of removing the IPK and fitting a temporary second hand one while I send it off to see if it can be revived (we bought it new from Les at SMC).
This got me thinking. I have an IPK with blue illumination on the way to me. I wondered if anyone has transplanted the Trip Computer display (ours is perfect) to an IPK without the Trip Computer? I wondered if they used the same PCB (Printed Circuit Board) but on the non Trip ones they just didn't use the connections?
Any opinions gratefully received!

Posted 18 Mar 2014, 22:15 #1 

Duncan
No, the PCBs are quite different as far as I know.

I hadn't realised it was a new IPK that you fitted, but it could still be a loose needle. It should be obvious when you remove the pack from the car.

Posted 19 Mar 2014, 18:29 #2 

Howie666
I took her out for a spin with a temporary IPK this evening, and apart from 'err' on the trip display it worked perfectly. So I'm now pretty certain the problem is with my IPK. Still hoping to get it fixed!

Posted 22 Mar 2014, 01:52 #3