Infected dry socket by goodlittlewifey

• Related topics: (no related topics)

goodlittlewifey
have any of you suffered from this, if so what did you do to ease it, was pack at dentist yesterday,who filled it with gauze soaked in oil of cloves, yuck, everything Ive eaten since has tasted of oil of cloves, bleurghhh,but at least it eases the pain a little bit,
The dentist said its unfortunate its happened as he could clearly see that Ive been a good girl and rinsed my mouth with salty water 5 times a day as instructed, and it took from Monday till Friday for the infection to really take hold, its apperently down to my wisdom tooth taking 40 mins to be extracted and 5 injections to freeze the area,
so Ive been on solpadeine painkillers every 4 hours, and inbetween them 400mg of ibrofen., but with only 3 hours of sleep every night,its not good.
so any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated guys n gals, xx

Posted 14 May 2011, 17:07 #1 

Mick
(Site Admin)
If infected then surely an antibiotic would be in order.

Posted 14 May 2011, 17:46 #2 

goodlittlewifey
no the dentist drained it, and the gauze is meant to have everything on it, they dont give oral anti-biotics unless the gauze stuff doesnt work

Posted 14 May 2011, 17:49 #3 

JohnDotCom
Sounds a backward/out of the arc step if ever I heard one. :cry:
Tramadol 100mg x2 four times daily from Tim sounds an answer to pain. ;)
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 14 May 2011, 18:41 #4 

goodlittlewifey
the dentist said the oil of cloves has an ant-bacterial ingredient in it, ??!! thats why it needs to be packed with gauze every couple of days, if that doesnt work they then bring in the big gun anti biotics,
I was reading up on it early hours of this morning John, and it is the normal way to go with infected dry socket, but yes it does sound a backwards step,
the tramadol werent working,and the dentist who I was honest with about what Id been taking,said tramadol wont touch toothache, its the wrong sort of pain ??!!!!!!!
The tooth came out last monday, so nearly a week now, and Im SERIOUSLY fed up with it

Posted 15 May 2011, 12:35 #5 

JohnDotCom
Bad news for you with it hanging around, hope all is well for you very soon.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 15 May 2011, 14:44 #6 

Dallas
Heather! I really feel for you :cry: I really do, I have been in that same pain and it is awful. I found no over the counter drugs would touch it, but I think your Dentist should have put you on Amoxicillin at least .

When did you start with the salt bath as if you started to soon then this would have dislodged the blood clot and gave you the dry socket. Normally after the 3rd day is best advised with salt rinsing especially if tooth is a upper molar.

Your Dentist should be dressing and packing the dry-socket on a 2-3 day period, that helps towards the heeling process and gives you some light pain relief. Go back to your Dentist or even visit the emergency Dentist and they will do whats needed and help you, don't be shy as you really need to be seen again if the pain is unbearable.

I really hope the pain does subside for you, even a little makes a difference.

Good Luck!

Posted 15 May 2011, 17:13 #7