Indicator repeater by raistlin

raistlin
My indicator repeater in the driver's side front wing keeps popping out and I suspect that it is because the wing is a pattern part anf the cut-out is not quite right.

Any ideas how to secure it please?

I don't want to resort to glue because it may need to be removed for bulb change some time in the future.

Thanks
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 11 Feb 2015, 17:48 #1 

Duncan
I assume the spring (part of the plastic) is intact?

Posted 11 Feb 2015, 17:49 #2 

raistlin
Duncan wrote:I assume the spring (part of the plastic) is intact?

Yes, it is Duncan.
Paul

Posted 11 Feb 2015, 18:39 #3 

Bolin
Have you tried measuring the hole and comparing it to the other side, just to confirm that it is the wing at fault and not the repeater? Might be worth swaping the two repeaters over and seeing if the effect is reversed or not.

I can't off hand remember what the sping bit on the repeater is like, but if it is plastic perhaps it could be heated up and very carefully bent out a little to aid retention? If metal, then perhaps try just bending it out a bit but without the heating.

Didn't know that pattern wings existed, but not surprising I suppose, it is the panel most likely needing replacement in an accident.

Posted 16 Feb 2015, 19:09 #4 

raistlin
It fits OK in the other wing :) plastic springy bit.
Paul

Posted 16 Feb 2015, 19:14 #5 

Duncan
I wonder if its worth getting a spare, and building up the lug / clip with a resin like araldite. Then trimming it up a little with a dremel / file.

Posted 16 Feb 2015, 19:17 #6 

Bolin
That sounds a less risky idea than mine :)

Posted 16 Feb 2015, 19:23 #7 

raistlin
Thanks Duncan, and Colin :)

I was also considering judicious use of double sided tape, which can be removed, albeit with some effort, if required.
Paul

Posted 16 Feb 2015, 19:27 #8 

ceedy
I have previously used a bit of firm sponge ( rubber not aunties cake) to help stiffen the plastic springy clips ? , works well on my plenum covers clips .
But have also found on the indicators that the tip of the clip will break off so it just doesn't fit any more .
C.
Got one for Me , Then one for her, and now a big one for me again, All BLOO! Well saves on the touch up paint, Now Number one son's Spoilt it all by getting a Firefrost 1.8T

Posted 17 Feb 2015, 10:33 #9 

raistlin
Solved :)

I warmed the springy clip to avoid breakage and pulled it back into shape so it now clips the repeater back in securely :)

Thanks for the ideas chaps :)
Paul

Posted 18 Feb 2015, 11:47 #10