Indicator Help Required by sewerman

sewerman
Hi
Am after a bit of help / advice.

I went out this morning to give someone a lift and on the way back the indicators stopped working and the Hazards too.

I checked everything else electrical and all seems fine, except on the low line instrument pack the door open warning and main beam warning do not come on anymore.

I checked the instrument pack with the OBD (On Board Diagnostics) diagnostics and everything lights up.

Electrically I disconnected the alarm horn a few weeks ago as it goes of in the rain due to a rain activated open door sensor but nothing else is disconnected as far as I know.

My first though was to check the fuse and relay - but were are they?? the manual and fuse diagram on the holder don't show fuses for headlights and indicator lights and I've no idea were the indicator relay lives :-(.

Rover is a December 2001 registered CDI tourer club if that helps.
Royal Blue Rover 75 CDT Tourer

Posted 01 Jun 2014, 11:14 #1 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Scott.
I am not 100% on this but I am sure one of the Guru T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) people may inform better, but The indicator lights are all individually fed from the LSM (Light Switch Module). There is no relay in this sense.

So you have dodgy cabling or a screwed LSM. As the LSM holds the back-up mileage for the IPK (Instrument pack (IPK from the German)), replacement involves a T4 session.

However, as long as you do not drive the car, you can simply substitute the LSM for a known good one just to see if the indicators work then.

Also might be worth checking no damp as got in through the missing wheel arch liner inspection flap, any rubbing of the wires on the chassis, the front fogs can be prised out with out taking the bumper off.

Try a battery re-set disconnect the battery for 30 mins and see if it makes any difference ? remember though if your radio as a code that you need to know it other wise you will not get the radio back on
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 01 Jun 2014, 11:51 #2 

sewerman
Sorted with a help from Steve & Google

Found the answer on another sites forum, wont post the link incase its not allowed, but basically the K-Bus connection to the FBH (Fuel burning heater.) can cause the symptoms of the indicators failing.

So I disconnected the 3 pin wire to the FBH and all seems to work ok now.

After 3 months of ownership can only think I caught it when I was cleaning the EGR (Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve) valve Saturday.

Posted 02 Jun 2014, 14:27 #3 

Arctic
(Trader)
Hi Scott.
You could do with getting to a nano so one of the Guru's can take a look at the FBH for you, as you could really do with it working for the winter best laid plans and all that, Arctic
http://www.midlandsnanomeets.co.uk/
Pearl Firefrost
ARCTIC

Posted 03 Jun 2014, 09:10 #4 

sewerman
Steve
I've put my name down for the Saturday so will see what the T4 says and take it from there, although I suspect that after 153000 miles the FBH is past its best !

Posted 03 Jun 2014, 16:09 #5