I wonder what it costs us? by Bernard

Bernard
It seems that every third advert on television is for some insurance comparison site or other.
Their budgets must be huge.

I wonder just how much all this advertising adds to our premiums?
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 19:22 #1 

starbug2
they always find a way to get money from us :mad1:

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 19:37 #2 

SpongeBob
It's an unfortunate fact but insurance companies are like any other profit-making business. They are in the business to make a profit. We all know this deep-down but making a profit is their primary concern. The part about delivering a better service or paying referral fees to comparison websites is all part of the expenditure that encompasses creating new business with new/existing paying customers. I'm sure their advertising budget is just a small fraction of their overall turnover :(

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 19:42 #3 

raistlin
I must admit to being a little concerned about the way some commercial enterprises have decided that the best way to gain customers is to make particularly offensive or irritating adverts.

For example, I don't know anybody who isn't irritated by the 'go compare' series of adverts.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 19:47 #4 

SpongeBob
raistlin wrote:I must admit to being a little concerned about the way some commercial enterprises have decided that the best way to gain customers is to make particularly offensive or irritating adverts.

For example, I don't know anybody who isn't irritated by the 'go compare' series of adverts.

I avoid the problem by watching as little TV as I can ;) There have been some really awful adverts over the years. :(

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 19:54 #5 

raistlin
SpongeBob wrote: There have been some really awful adverts over the years. :(

Sometimes though, the adverts are better than the programs ;)
Paul

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 20:09 #6 

nisfo
GOcompare is just plain annoying......lol

I don't know the exact cost of TV advertising, but for arguements sake 6 thirty second advertisements cost £10,000.

Being all over the country. If the said advertiser successfully sells 50 lots of cover they are already covered for umpteen more ads :eek: also I'd say it's budgeted in their tax bracket...lol

GOTOMYPC use the right idea with promo codes, so they know exactly what ads work, I haven't seen one of their ads in a while. Must be on the wrong channels.lol

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 20:26 #7 

Bernard
I did a lot of work in the advertising industry and could never come to terms with the amount of money lavished around. It always seemed to me that higher management could easily be almost frightened into authorising huge budgets.

The insurance comparison market seems crazy though, all those sites competing yet pushing the same products.

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 20:37 #8 

JohnDotCom
The Compare the Meerkat.com adverts series cost £700,000 including making, air-time and the two sites to date. Wow.
Useless facts you can search online for!!
He even has his own twitter page with no mention of Insurance.
The licensing of the soft toy division and royalties is also making a fortune.
They receive between 10% - 20% on sign ups and £10 each referral,
each click on site or any Meerkat page of theirs they receive 8p.

Comparethemarket.com is now ranked as the 3rd most visited insurance website in the UK – up from 16th in January 2008 and overall sales have more than doubled year on year as a result of the campaign. (2009 figures)

I don't know the exact cost of TV advertising, but for arguements sake 6 thirty second advertisements cost £10,000

That would be very, very cheap for screening at peak times and depends on how many areas you cover with advertising.

We do get the rates sent to us by Sky, ITV etc for advertising and I believe you would be shocked at the millions £/$ spent by Companies like Unilever etc.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 21:31 #9 

Bermudan 75
If they really want to add quality to their ads, then may I suggest that the little furry creature should be seen driving a 75? :thumbsup:

Mike

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 21:38 #10 

raistlin
I must admit, I like Aleksandr, although I'd never use the car insurance site.
Paul

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 21:39 #11 

Bernard
raistlin wrote:I must admit, I like Aleksandr, although I'd never use the car insurance site.

Very eastern European in temperament, reminds me of a certain lady of Polish extraction who shares my affections. ;)

Posted 20 Sep 2010, 21:49 #12 

Chartermark
Bernard wrote:I wonder just how much all this advertising adds to our premiums?

Probably about 20% of their revenue, I would think? With cash flow strangulated by the banking fraternity, some pretty cheap deals can be negotiated on 'air-time' from the different Terrestial v's Satellite players, I would imagine? Accordingly they probably get 'splash it everywhere' offers from the different networks.

We have witnessed a general swing, or 'paradigm shift' within our National economic profile from manufacturing and distribution, to the tertiary industries of 'finance based derogatives'. The almost complete decline of the former category, of which our cars are a sad example, has increased exponentially over the past 30 years.

How many of us can remember the old days of the BBC Home Service? Once a month on the six o'clock news they would report the 'Balance of Trade' figures. Firstly exports with the plus or minus from the previous month, and then likewise for imports. Usually there was a deficit, the announcer then went on to say - 'but after adding in 'invisible' earnings for such items as shipping and insurance the figure was' ... The overall number then followed.

Today the categories would have to be reversed.

I can no longer take the witless sop of adverts, and mostly record programmes using Sky Plus and then Fast Forward through the verbal detritus, every 15 mins or so. Crass and annoying insurance ads are particularly prevalent within these constituents. It's the supposed 'humour' to leave you with crap at the end of such cretinous presentations, that I find so depressing.

Interestingly according to industry figures, there is hardly anyone aged over 39 in the advertising business these days, and the 'bright young things' that compile this dross are mostly mid twenties, says it all for me ...

Posted 29 Sep 2010, 11:29 #13 

payner75t
it's all about easy profit.................. simples!!! :D :D
the french have invaded my roverspace

Posted 30 Sep 2010, 20:02 #14 

DeuxGazoles
The meerkat adverts are a brilliant bit of marketing in my opinion......they're clever funny & cute & I dont find them at all annoying but I'll echo the above about Go Compare they are so cringeworthy & annoying BUT it stands out in peoples minds which is what works about them
Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 30 Sep 2010, 20:46 #15 

SpongeBob
I think that's the crux of it at the end of the day - in doesn't matter whether you find them annoying or enjoyable. The fact they've made a memorable impression in your mind means they have worked and there's a very good chance you'll use them at some point in the future.

Posted 30 Sep 2010, 21:26 #16