I know I should be grateful but... by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
... it can be difficult sometimes.

I particularly wanted to watch a DVD which I don't have and a friend said he'd upload it for me so I could download it and watch as and when convenient.

Well, I downloaded it and tried to run it on the TV in the living room from my video store on my NAS.

"No identifiable video files" was the error message I got.

SO I went to my PC and opening the folder found three folders inside neatly labelled CD1, CD2, CD3. I thought it odd to do so rather than just upload the DVD content as he has a fast broadband setup. So I thought I'd have to use an AVI joiner to stitch them back together.

Opening the first CD folder, there was no AVI file but there WAS a series of 24 rar files :( A quick check on the other two folders showed the same so, back to CD1 folder to unrar... to a series of 24 zip files. Are you still with me?

Started to unzip and got the error message "unable to find file XXX02.zip" I eventually worked out that he'd decided he didn't like the serial filenames generated by a multiple zip so he'd renamed them to make them "tidier" so I had to have a shot at renaming them as they should have been. Eventually getting there, I allowed the multiple zip files to unzip... which produced an avi file? Not a chance. What appeared from the multiple zips was a single rar file.

Guess what? I had to go through the same nause with the contents of CD2 and CD3 folders. Only after unraring those did I end up with three avi files which I then joined to make the original avi file.

Tested it to make sure all was in order, only to discover that what was annotated as avi1 was, in fact, the end of the DVD and after running through the complete avi file it became clear that part 1 was actually at in the middle and part 2 was at the end.

Shame on me... I gave up :(
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 02 May 2012, 15:11 #1 

PaulT
Just goes to show that piracy does not pay :gmc:
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 02 May 2012, 15:38 #2 

Jürgen
raistlin wrote:Shame on me... I gave up :(

Why giving up so quick? :confused: SCNR

:scared:

Posted 02 May 2012, 15:41 #3 

raistlin
PaulT wrote:Just goes to show that piracy does not pay :gmc:

Why would that be?
Paul

Posted 02 May 2012, 15:47 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
What DVD? If I have it in my collection I will post it to you and you can return it at the next Nano.

Posted 02 May 2012, 16:38 #5 

kandyman
I remember downloading rar files when I was on dial up, use to take me a day to download a film and then I would have a missing or corrupt file and would have to go hunting for it.

Nowadays I just buy the DVD or go to the pictures :)

Posted 02 May 2012, 18:21 #6 

raistlin
Mick wrote:What DVD? If I have it in my collection I will post it to you and you can return it at the next Nano.

Thanks Mick, but unlikely ;)

It was a video my department produced some time ago when we were trying to sell our services and our aerodynamics laboratory to local universities and contained a lot of info on our supersonic wind tunnel amongst other things.

Really appreciate the offer though - cheers :)
Paul

Posted 02 May 2012, 19:13 #7 

raistlin
I spoke to the guy last night by phone and he was most upset at the trouble he'd caused... especially when he told me he thought that, "being a computer man, you'd expect it packaged like that" :lol:

Anyway, all's well that ends well. He uploaded the complete avi file that he had made from the DVD and I got it with no trouble :)

@ PaulT:- I'm still curious as to the meaning of your previous post Paul. I won't make any assumptions about what you meant ;)
Paul

Posted 03 May 2012, 07:17 #8 

PaulT
raistlin wrote:@ PaulT:- I'm still curious as to the meaning of your previous post Paul. I won't make any assumptions about what you meant ;)

I was under the impression that it was a commercial DVD, i.e. Bambi and not what you have now described.

Sorry for that
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Posted 03 May 2012, 09:54 #9 

raistlin
Bambi? :lol:
Paul

Posted 03 May 2012, 10:15 #10 

Mick
(Site Admin)
PaulT wrote:
raistlin wrote:@ PaulT:- I'm still curious as to the meaning of your previous post Paul. I won't make any assumptions about what you meant ;)

I was under the impression that it was a commercial DVD, i.e. Bambi and not what you have now described.

Sorry for that

No need to apologise, we all thought the same but kept quiet (in the vain hope of a public flogging) :lol:. Unfortunately, Paul (Raistlin) is "smarter than the average bear." ;)

Posted 03 May 2012, 10:18 #11 

raistlin
Mick wrote:No need to apologise, we all thought the same

Just goes to show what warped minds you've all got :lol:
Paul

Posted 03 May 2012, 11:09 #12 

Mick
(Site Admin)
raistlin wrote:
Mick wrote:No need to apologise, we all thought the same

Just goes to show what warped minds you've all got :lol:

Oooo a compliment. :hail: :hail: :hail:

Posted 03 May 2012, 11:27 #13 

Bernard
Honi soit qui mal y pense, I think. :gmc:
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 03 May 2012, 17:01 #14