I Got One Of Those by DeuxGazoles (Page 1 of 3)

• Related topics: (no related topics)

DeuxGazoles
Yep that's right I've taken the plunge & bought myself a big shouty V8. I had a week off about 3 weeks ago & went scrapyarding with Ronnie (suzublu) & we looked at a 75 & a 1.8 turbo ZT but there was nothing of any real worth on either car so heading back to the car I noticed an X-Power Grey ZT sat behind a Fiat taxi so wandered across & noticed it had been bumped in much the same fashion as Grovey was last winter so I started thinking it would be an easy fix might get a quick few quid on it if I patched it up & sold it on but as I walked round it I noticed the V8 badge on the wing so instantly looked inside to confirm it was the real thing. The little wheels instantly started whirring around in the space between my ears so we asked "Is it for sale?" & "How much?" satisfied with both answers we headed off to do more scrapyarding & after a bit of dreaming etc. I kind of thought naaah it wont happen but it had got under my skin & after a few sleepless nights I decided it had to be bought. Sadly it went on ebay & then someone started a thread on the owners club about it & I thought well that's it I've missed out but on checking the ad I noticed nobody had bid on it so I rang the yard & said
"That old V8 Rover thingy I looked at the other day"
"Oh aye"
"I'd like to buy it off you"
"That's fine"
"I'll paypal a deposit & see you on Thursday"
"No problem at all"
So armed with an assistant, some trade plates & the balance we headed off down there & bought it.

I then stripped off the damaged bits to reveal one small hidden issue which was the airbox & intake ducting was smashed to bits.

I immediately panicked & started thinking of ways around it as it was unlikely I'd find one but then after a tip off from tonybubble I got one on ebay. This has now been fitted & I have replaced the broken headlamp & sourced a bumper which has now been painted & built up with the exception of the O/S indicator which is alledgedly on it's way & the powerwash jets as one was missing & the new replacement is the wrong one.
I've replaced the front discs & pads & rear pads & adjusted the handbrake, given it a good service & it's been on the T4 (Testbook version 4.Computer Diagnostic System) for a health check & to have it's options tweaked so all in all it's coming together nicely

Four's plenty don't you think?

Something has to be done with the green wheels

Geordie Jeans! they're nice & tight especially roond the arse

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 22:18 #1 

DeuxGazoles
A few more random pics

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 22:50 #2 

kandyman
Evening,

Nice looking car don't look like it'll need much doing to get her looking great again.

Do you know if the pervious owner were a member on one of the forums ?

Now what going on with them wheels ?

Posted 04 Dec 2011, 23:34 #3 

DeuxGazoles
Nearly back in shape already just needs a good polish & the green-ness removed from the wheels :mrgreen:
No idea whose car it was yet (awaiting V5) & nobody has said "Oh that's Jimmy's old car" or anything like that on any of the forums so I guess it's not been a member's car

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 09:13 #4 

DeuxGazoles
Oh & the dubious personalised number plates are pure coincidence, I have not changed my name by deed pole to Alfred Osborne :gmc:

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 09:16 #5 

Bernard
Did you find the power wash jet? 'Cos I've got an offside one you can have.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 09:30 #6 

DeuxGazoles
Thanks Bernard, B&G sent me the wrong one but are sending another out in the post so hopefully it'll be right this time but if not I might take you up on your offer.........swap you for a N/S :mrgreen:

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 09:42 #7 

Last edited by DeuxGazoles on 05 Dec 2011, 13:34, edited 1 time in total.

Bermudan 75
So was this car to be scrapped for a bit of broken plastic? :confused:

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 12:39 #8 

DeuxGazoles
Rover418275 wrote:So was this car to be scrapped for a bit of broken plastic? :confused:

Well of course it was the insurance company wouldn't repair that, tot it up
Headlamp £575.28
Foglamp £56.44
Indicator £37.16
Bumper £453.07
Airbox & intake retail in excess of £900 for all the bits

So there's 2 grand before you start & then there's paint & materials & labour & all the extras like clips & screws & badges, powerwash jets & pipes & to top it off most of those bits are now officially N.L.A. so yeah it was written off, luckily I've managed to sort it for around £700 a shade over my original budget but I didn't expect having to replace the airbox

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 13:47 #9 

James.uk
Lovely car that Colin, I love the colour.. :D..

Bet the bloke who owns the grey one next to Grovey is well jelous innit.. lmho.. :D :D

Posted 05 Dec 2011, 17:10 #10 

MGBev
brilliant Colin - glad you saved it

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 15:19 #11 

Cowley_MOA
James.uk wrote:Lovely car that Colin, I love the colour.. :D..

Bet the bloke who owns the grey one next to Grovey is well jelous innit.. lmho.. :D :D

Classic James :D That made me laugh!
Superabit omnia virtus

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 17:17 #12 

SpongeBob
A fine machine you have there :) Let's hope you can get those wheels looking less green and more grey or silver :)

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 18:42 #13 

DeuxGazoles
SpongeBob wrote:A fine machine you have there :) Let's hope you can get those wheels looking less green and more grey or silver :)

Oh I'm sure I'll manage :mrgreen:

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 20:10 #14 

Duncan
Actually I think the registration is totally wicked, like the car.

kandyman wrote:Do you know if the pervious owner were a member on one of the forums ?

What are you suggesting about owners of V8s?

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 21:07 #15 

starbug2
nice a car has been saved ....

Posted 07 Dec 2011, 21:41 #16 

DeuxGazoles
Nothing further to report..............stuck for parts Grrrrr!

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 21:01 #17 

takestock
So am I ;)
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 21:03 #18 

DeuxGazoles
Oh aye & what's the project?

Posted 16 Dec 2011, 21:09 #19 

takestock