HOW MUCH!!! by Stelad

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Stelad
Earlier on at work an advert for We buy any car.com came on the radio. I know very well that they pay below trade but thought I'd run my reg. through just for fun. A few of my colleagues gathered round out of interest and a game of guess the price ensued. My car is a 2002 75 CDT Connie SE, full service history 117k. I'm a bit biased but I think it's in above average condition for its age. My colleagues were quite flattering with their guesses ranging from £1K to £2.5k. I myself thought they'd quote about £700. When I'd given all my details and their offer came up on the screen we all said "How much!!" in unison. Good job I was sitting down at the time, my pride and joy is only worth £300 to them. I paid more for its tyres!
So if you feel like having a giggle,run your reg. through www.webuyanycar.com

Regards,
Steven.

Posted 05 Jul 2013, 19:06 #1 

raistlin
I personally think that company are profiteering on the misery of others. They catch people who are in dire straits and need to raise cash urgently and therefore have effectively no alternative but to accept the ridiculous prices quoted.

I've also heard that when you actually get to the place where the transaction is to take place they make up excuses to reduce the price even further.

I'm fully aware that ethics has no place in business in the UK these days but these cowboys really scrape the barrel.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Jul 2013, 19:24 #2 

Jumper
Everything you have heard is true, only more so. They are distress sales. Wonga on wheels.

Posted 06 Jul 2013, 13:38 #3 

BingleyThe75
They offered me £50 for my 42,000 miles Range Rover Vogue. 1985 on a B plate, 3.5 carb fed V8. Had MOT and tax.
In a cold world, it's a warm place,
Where you know that you're supposed to be.

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 01:16 #4 

takestock
Mine is worth £155 to them , less a transaction fee of £50 :D
Think I will leave the 11 spokes on, the walnut wheel, gear knob and original walnut H brake. May as well leave the powerfolds on, xenons and 16:9 screen, and I could chuck in my two spare sets of straights .....:gmc:
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 08:24 #5 

zojosc
I'll give you £300 and take the risk Dave!
"Keep Smilin'"
Andy

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 11:29 #6 

takestock
Hmmm.... seems part of my post has gone missing :confused: Anyone know where it went???
Photobucket = Tossers

Dave....

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 11:52 #7 

Jumper
Funny that, that's how their customers feel!

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 13:13 #8 

aturi83
Utter utter con men. Needed to sell my bmw, they quoted me 4000 under its eventual sale price. Much happier in the 75,feels like I'm getting one over an entire industry :-)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 13:20 #9 

Jumper
Having said all that, it's no good blaming the executioner for a blunt axe! As said, they are distress sales and therefore a last resort. There's no arm twisting or inertia selling (as in PPI). There's no glib half truths or deliberate obscuration of contract terms. How many people actually read their mortgage application in their rush to buy the house of their dreams? Or the fine print in their car insurance policy? Ethics, as in most other walks of life except philosophy, play a very minor role - subservient to the legal aspects.

Many people con themselves that buying a car is an 'investment'. Well unless you spent £2000 on an E-Type in '64 and then cocooned it in a humidity controlled moth ball, it was no such thing. It's a capital expenditure, usually on expensive credit terms from outfits similar to these companies. You bought something, your money's gone, you're left with a depreciating asset. Not unlike a box of tomatos. It's worth what someone is prepared to pay for it, and always at the wrong time! Companies like these do not 'con' people. And they are not car collectors/sales/scrappers. They are money lenders who send the 'sale vehicle' (no pun intended) direct to the salvage/auction yard with whom they have a primary deal arrangement. Yes, they have a handful of Jokers and traps for the unwary. That's life!

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 13:57 #10 

Borg Warner
They can't even find mine, RX06; so that will be nothing then?

Don't believe their add saying more and more people are using them as they are in a stronger position when looking to swap, it just doesn't make sense.

Gary M

Just done me Hippo, less than the service I had on it earlier this year. Strangely when we look for our cars on Autotrader etc. they are always considerably more. Some profit makers or what?

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 14:05 #11 

baconbuttyman
lol, what a joke, mine valued up at £175, like dave said, lets leave all the buits on, my android stereo, meteors, projectors etc etc etc.

haha
To se our club merchandise, click here http://www.mgr-forums.com/index.php/shopping

Posted 07 Jul 2013, 15:58 #12 

Gate Keeper
baconbuttyman wrote:lol, what a joke, mine valued up at £175, like dave said, lets leave all the buits on, my android stereo, meteors, projectors etc etc etc.

haha

And the other thing is that the repairs are costing more than what the cars are worth. Then there are the upgrades. 2 years ago one member told me he had spent £7000 on this and that. Then last year he had a HGF (Head Gasket Failure) go and that had to be done as well. Although he is an enthusiast, that money will never be seen again. I don't know what the answer is.
All the best

Phil

Posted 08 Jul 2013, 14:22 #13 

persuer
Just valued mine at £1045 for 2005 contemporary se, what a joke

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 20:08 #14 

Duncan
They have to give you a price, because they say 'we buy any car'. Truth is they don't want some cars, and ours are such an example. The price is clearly a go away price. They aren't a fat lot better for cars they do want, either.

Posted 09 Jul 2013, 20:16 #15 

carlpenn
A Rover 75 2.5V6 rarely makes more than £350 at Auction. Nobody wants them. I watched a gorgeous Club SE 1.8 Auto drive out the other day, bought for £200.

We had a beauty of a 2.5 V6 in Grey, Manual, 62k, FSH and it didn't even raise £300.

The prices offered by WBaC are not that far from their "Trade" Worth. Traders don't want a Car that has a history of being troublesome, whether that History is accurate or not.
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 10 Jul 2013, 07:19 #16 

MrDoodles
carlpenn wrote:A Rover 75 2.5V6 rarely makes more than £350 at Auction. Nobody wants them. I watched a gorgeous Club SE 1.8 Auto drive out the other day, bought for £200.

We had a beauty of a 2.5 V6 in Grey, Manual, 62k, FSH and it didn't even raise £300.

The prices offered by WBaC are not that far from their "Trade" Worth. Traders don't want a Car that has a history of being troublesome, whether that History is accurate or not.

Unfortunately, can only agree! :(

Posted 10 Jul 2013, 09:14 #17