Hotblack Desiato by raistlin

• Related topics: (no related topics)

raistlin
I heard an article on BBC TV news this morning regarding the increasing incidence of tinnitus.

One or two of the comments made me wonder at their cock-eyed logic and reminded me of the famous rock band fronted by Hotblack Desiato in Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.

The comments came from people who regularly attend rock concerts and protect themselves, apparently, from tinnitus... by wearing ear plugs :lol:

Sorry, but it just seems too ridiculous :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 14:15 #1 

Jürgen
Earplugs? :lol:

Well, sometimes they can be very useful. Some years ago, when watching a movie with friends at the cinema, I used to wear earplugs. :D
The level of the volume has been annoying.

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 15:28 #2 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Motorhead at Barnet college, around 1976. It was so painful on my ears I had to leave, (not just the music, if you can call it that) tried listening from the foyer for a while, still very painful. Out in the street it became tolerable. I guess my hearing was already damaged from too many gigs. I developed tinnitus just last year, wish I could walk away from that.
I'd recommend earplugs. Open air gigs, as long as well away from the PA are fine for me these days. Indoor venues are a definite no, no.

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 15:50 #3 

raistlin
My thought was, why have a concert so loud that people have to use ear plugs in the first place? It just seemed perverse to me :)

A bit like having sex with a wooden condom :lol: You're taking part, but not getting all you might from the experience :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 16:54 #4 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Painfully perverse, louder is definitely not better. IMHO

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 17:08 #5 

geesmith
Pardon?

Why would they mic my bass gear through the PA... I couldn't hear the PA...... but yes, if you stare past the lights for long enough there is an audience out there..Lets get 'em.

I was once accused of making all the optics dribble behind the bar and it couldn't have been me because I was at the other end of the hall on the stage!

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 19:01 #6 

Zeb
Hmmm...wish I had worn earplugs for Motorhead's 'Bomber' tour....they hit 140 decibels....and my audiologist could pinpoint exactly what note they were playing at the time by my audiogram..:(

I would always recommend ear plugs at a concert to anyone...the organisers often have little cmprehension of the damage the volume can do...

Posted 19 Nov 2011, 21:42 #7 

Bernard
Much though I deride the Health and Safety mob for their brain dead attitude to some of their rulings, I cannot understand why they have not acted on the sound levels on live music.
I don't like signatures, they take up too much screen space.

Posted 20 Nov 2011, 13:49 #8 

geesmith
The weird thing is that it easier to sound good at lower volumes. . . and there's more impact available by allowing some headroom.

Posted 20 Nov 2011, 17:25 #9