Heated windscreen jets by stroheim

stroheim
:geek: I have heated windscreen washers but I don't think they up to the job in this curent weather despite having the correct screen mixture. I believe the heaters are on all the time but use only a small amount of current. A better design IMO would be to have a fairly high rated wrap around heater that is time linked like the heated seats. Maybe mine is not working properly but the present screen heater is as handy as an ash tray on a bike. Has anyone got any ideas or thoughts on how to improve the system

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 15:02 #1 

cymrudragon
wounder if you could use one of them heater eliments you see hard to explain but here goes ....my dadin law is a big fishing nut and he got a hand held heating elament you put in a cup of water and it heats it up to make a cuper .....could this be addapted to do the same but in the water screenwash res......as for the original heated screen jet they are poinless as the water frezzes on contact ....on my car they do

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 15:21 #2 

raistlin
stroheim wrote::geek: I have heated windscreen washers but I don't think they up to the job in this curent weather despite having the correct screen mixture. I believe the heaters are on all the time but use only a small amount of current. A better design IMO would be to have a fairly high rated wrap around heater that is time linked like the heated seats. Maybe mine is not working properly but the present screen heater is as handy as an ash tray on a bike. Has anyone got any ideas or thoughts on how to improve the system

That's a shame. I have to say it doesn't accord with my experience. I had no trouble using my screen washers yesterday on the M54 at an indicated outside temperature of -6 degrees :confused:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 16:30 #3 

Bermudan 75
Last January I went down to Cornwall just as the snow hit and I had no problem with my washer jets. The washer bottle was filled with neat screen wash (Halfrauds). :thumbsup:

This year however they seem to be freezing up. Last month I topped up my washer bottle with water and was intending to replace it with screen wash as in January. So far all I have done is top up the bottle with screen wash. :confused:

The jets are heated but it appears that the water left in the mixture is freezing because the screen wash is evaporating at the jets and the water left behind is freezing.

The text in bold was given on Radio 2 this morning about why the jets are no working, this would appear to make sense in view of the problems I have had in the current cold snap using water/screen wash as opposed to January when I used neat screen wash.

That is assuming that my heated jets are still working. :confused:

Cheers

Mike

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 16:36 #4 

JohnDotCom
I've not had a problem with these working in past winters regardless of temperatures once I have been driving a few miles,
as long as mix is correct for temperature of course. ;)
Mine always feel warm to the touch.
John

"My lovely car now sold onto a very happy new owner.
I still love this marque and I will still be around, preferred selling to breaking, as a great runner and performer"

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 17:25 #5 

Bermudan 75
Just been out and have been keeping the washer pump on and the screenwash still has sufficient water in it to freeze. There are now a number of frozen water trails on my windscreen and bonnet. :(

So the moral of this is to use neat screenwash. :thumbsup:

(Note to MGR how about a drain for the washer bottle?) Retrospectively. :gmc:

Mike

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 17:33 #6 

Duncan
If the fluid isn't concentrated enough, it will freeze in the pipes and bottle. You'd need a lot of heating to stop it, but a high concentrate does solve the problem.

The next issue is as someone said, the evaporation of the alchohol or whatever is being used to prevent freezing, at the jet. The heater will keep enough heat, as a rule, to keep the jets clear.

I haven't had a problem in any winters, including this one (and we had -12.5 yesterday morning). I also know that I've seen washers work at -25 to -30 without problem, but using locally sourced washer fluid.

Remember too, that it takes a while to get the stronger mix through the pipes and into the jets after you top up.

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 19:12 #7 

Bermudan 75
Is the tailgate washer jet of the Tourer heated ?

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 19:43 #8 

Duncan
Rover418275 wrote:Is the tailgate washer jet of the Tourer heated ?

Unfortunately, no.

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 19:46 #9 

Bermudan 75
Duncan wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:Is the tailgate washer jet of the Tourer heated ?

Unfortunately, no.

Thanks Duncan. :thumbsup:

Posted 08 Dec 2010, 19:48 #10 

Bermudan 75
I am sure that my car has heated jets, as I seem to remember that last January the snow and ice would melt shortly after turning on the ignition. However this morning with just a mild frost, when I started the car the jets remained covered in frost.

Two questions:
1. Is there an method of identification of the heated jets (apart from feeling that they are getting warm) ?

2. If they have failed, what would be the cause and repair?

Cheers

:cheers:

Mike

Posted 12 Dec 2010, 14:08 #11 

Mick
(Site Admin)
Rover418275 wrote:I am sure that my car has heated jets, as I seem to remember that last January the snow and ice would melt shortly after turning on the ignition. However this morning with just a mild frost, when I started the car the jets remained covered in frost.

Two questions:
1. Is there an method of identification of the heated jets (apart from feeling that they are getting warm) ?

Lift the bonnet, release the bonnet liner and see if there are electrical connections to the jets. If so to start with check that they are clean and making good contact.

Posted 12 Dec 2010, 17:30 #12 

Bermudan 75
Mick wrote:
Rover418275 wrote:I am sure that my car has heated jets, as I seem to remember that last January the snow and ice would melt shortly after turning on the ignition. However this morning with just a mild frost, when I started the car the jets remained covered in frost.

Two questions:

Lift the bonnet, release the bonnet liner and see if there are electrical connections to the jets. If so to start with check that they are clean and making good contact.

Well would you believe it, I was convinced my jets were heated, but they are not. :o
Unheated washer jet.JPG

No need to release the bonnet liner, you can just see enough from the side as to whether the jets are heated, ie have the electrical connections.

Thanks for the help Mick.

:cheers:

(Dear Santa, can I have a set of heated washer jets please?)

Mike

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Posted 13 Dec 2010, 17:31 #13