Headlamp Level Aim not working by carlpenn

carlpenn
I had a problem on teh Tourer when I bought it where the RH / Off Side Headlight didn't operate when teh rotary switch was used to adjust the Headlamp aim. I have since swapped the Headlight for the one I took off teh V6 and the problem is still there, which means that it is a wiring fault.

I recall someone saying on here previously that it is a common fault(?) so was hoping that someone may be able to point me in the right direction of where to look. I think I recall someone said the wires chaif on something and then short out? The Nearside / LH Side works fine.

I have looked at the Wiring diagram in the Haynes manual and it shows the Headlamp levelling wiring going from the Motor to the Switch in the LSM (Light Switch Module) on the Dash, I assume the Wires are chaifing somewhere around the front inner wing area?

Any help is greatly appreciated as this is an MOT Failure and the MOT is due in July, but as we are on Holiday when the MOT is due, I want to get it in a Month earlier just in case there are any issues I don't know about :)

Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 05 Apr 2012, 22:42 #1 

Unclefista
From what I've read the most common fault is this, behind the headlights there is a horizontal box section chassis member. The chassis member is pressed steel with a long sharp seam on the upper edge.
The headlight loom runs over this sharp seam and over time chafes and short circuits.
The earlier cars have some rubber trim to cover the edge, later ones don't.

It really needs fixing if it's shorting to earth somewhere, but to get the car through the MOT, the headlights are adjustable.Look for a white plastic square-drive screw on top of the headlight unit. As long as they point in the correct direction the lack of adjustment isn't a fail as far as I know.

I had the same problem when I bought my car, the headlights only lit up a couple of feet of the road ahead. I adjusted both headlights as a temporary measure, and while I was doing that one of them freed off by itself, a couple of months later the other one did the same :)

Here's a bad picture of where you need to check your wiring, taken this afternoon while trying to fix my fan, again..

Posted 06 Apr 2012, 01:37 #2 

carlpenn
Thank You. Will look at that Loom when replacing the Cooling Fan :)
Upgrades:

Fitted Electric Memory Seat, Leather Cubby Lid, Wood Dash, Message Centre.

Posted 06 Apr 2012, 06:49 #3 

Bermudan 75
Was the removal of the rubber edging trim another Project Drive deletion? Will have a look at mine next time I have the bumper off.

Posted 06 Apr 2012, 07:12 #4 

raistlin
Mine is a pre austerity model but it only had the seam protector fitted on the near-side.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 06 Apr 2012, 08:02 #5 

Bermudan 75
Looks like another mod for the next Wolves nano-meet ! :thumbsup:

Posted 06 Apr 2012, 08:37 #6