For once... by Zeb

• Related topics: (no related topics)

Zeb
I am glad I am out of teaching...

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/5/20110111/tuk ... dbed5.html

Only one word to sum this up....a***holes... :roll:

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 19:46 #1 

Martin
What are they up to? Yes I bet your glad not having to worry about all that sort of thing. See you Sunday eh :thumbsup:
MGZT-T V8 SUPERCHARGED Le Mans Green

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 19:51 #2 

MN190
So a teacher makes the most of the weather rather than sending them home and gets duly rewarded

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 19:57 #3 

Duncan
The trouble is, the media whip it up no matter which way something like this goes.

1. The media are reporting this story as health and safety gone mad.
2. When something like this happens, but someone get's hurt, the media blame the teacher, the school, the education system and so on for not having followed health and safety procedures.

So, the media is merely reporting on a story which in effect, it created. Yes it's madness, but the madness is that the media can create their own news in an ever decreasing circle. And that's not to mention the ambulance chaser companies who are now making so much money they can afford prime retail sites in town centres.

To be honest, the report probably isn't worth the paper (virtual) it's written on. Most news is gathered cheaply by simply repeating recycled info, and made interesting by ignoring facts. We don't know, for example, if this guy had been a persistent problem. The report says there were nine alleged breaches. It implies they were all related to this event, and the may have been. But that's an assumption. We don't know if there'd been other previous events where he'd had informal talkings to, and he'd failed to take note.

Finally, remember we are dealing with Health and Safety law here as well. If there is a policy and it isn't adhered to, then a prosecution could result for that alone, as I understand.

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 20:11 #4 

Zeb
All good points Duncan...

There may well have been other factors we are unaware of...

Still can't say I am unhappy not to be caught in a culture that occasionally leads to the hanging out to dry of teachers be it via the media, the GTC (soon to be abolished) or the management of a school that operates via policy rather than humanity...

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 20:46 #5 

Duncan
Zeb wrote:All good points Duncan...

There may well have been other factors we are unaware of...

Still can't say I am unhappy not to be caught in a culture that occasionally leads to the hanging out to dry of teachers be it via the media, the GTC (soon to be abolished) or the management of a school that operates via policy rather than humanity...

Yes, all of those are causing problems. OH is a teacher, soon to escape. This summer, if she can't stand it any longer. Unfortunately I'm nowhere near able to do the same.

Posted 11 Jan 2011, 21:38 #6 

James.uk
Swapping common sense for H&S was a very bad deal for 99.9% of people...

The good news is, there are signs that people are begining to realise that.. :D

Posted 12 Jan 2011, 14:49 #7