FBH question by mike123

mike123
Hi,

I have fitted a Webasto FBH (Fuel burning heater.) without a timer or remote and everything is working as it should.

Because I have no way of useing it as a parking heater as is I decided to fit a manual switch by earthing pin 3, as others have.

My question is;

If I use my manual switch to run the FBH, the temperature is below 5 deg. so the thermo switch fuctions and I start the car and drive without turning the manual switch off will any damage be done to anything ?

Mike

Posted 07 Apr 2011, 21:48 #1 

James.uk
Hmmmm... Bit confuzzled here, if the temp is below 5c then the f.b.h. will self ignite, so why would you need to switch it on manually?

As for leaving it on, I believe it switches off when the water temp reaches a certain level, nothing to do with the outside sensor.. But..

If you turn it on manually, once it's up to temp it will turn off.. But.. When the water temp drops it may well come back on... I don't know... :confused:

Posted 07 Apr 2011, 22:25 #2 

mike123
The manual switch will be used to preheat (parking heater) before setting off so will damage be caused if I fail to switch manual switch off before driving and the automatic thermal switch also cuts at the same time :rolling:

Posted 07 Apr 2011, 22:53 #3 

Duncan
mike123 wrote:The manual switch will be used to preheat (parking heater) before setting off so will damage be caused if I fail to switch manual switch off before driving and the automatic thermal switch also cuts at the same time :rolling:

No no damage, it will turn off when it gets warm enough.

But you will need to remember to turn the switch off, as someone said, otherwise it will keep coming back on as the engine cools.

I sometimes use my remote in this mode: switch on before starting, leave it on as I drive off. Never caused me any problem / damage.

Posted 08 Apr 2011, 06:58 #4 

mike123
Duncan wrote:
mike123 wrote:The manual switch will be used to preheat (parking heater) before setting off so will damage be caused if I fail to switch manual switch off before driving and the automatic thermal switch also cuts at the same time :rolling:

No no damage, it will turn off when it gets warm enough.

But you will need to remember to turn the switch off, as someone said, otherwise it will keep coming back on as the engine cools.

I sometimes use my remote in this mode: switch on before starting, leave it on as I drive off. Never caused me any problem / damage.

Thanks Duncan that makes life much easier as at the point of departure time always seems to be rushed during winter months. :thumbsup:

Posted 08 Apr 2011, 07:47 #5