FBH - Cheap Timer Mod by DaveyC

• Related topics: (no related topics)

DaveyC
I have finally got my FBH (Fuel burning heater.) fitted and fully functional. So, in preparation for the lovely English winter, I thought I would go about fitting at timer.

I searched Ebay for a "12V Timer Switch" and there were loads of cheap ones from China (no surprise).

I ordered this and it came in just under a week:

It was less that £7 delivered, so if it was rubbish I hadn't lost much. Its got manual override for on/off and auto functions. The timer is 7 days and there are about 15 on/off functions, so plenty to play with :D

I wanted to put it somewhere out of sight, so decided to put it in the cubby under the armrest.

First thing was to take the cubby out, 2 torx screws and a bit of a tug at the front and it was out.

I decided to make a cardboard template first, so that the fit was right.

I then transferred this and cut out some 1.2mm aluminium sheet I had lying around but could have used thin plywood or MDF. I cut a 60mm hole with a hole saw for the front of the timer to go through.

Then I set about wiring the timer up. I took live and negative feeds from the power socket above the ashtray in the centre console (purple/yellow is a permanent live and black is earth).

The FBH is triggered by earthing pin 3, so I ran a wire from there back inside the cabin and behind the centre console and under the armrest.

The switch is just a live and earth and and earth on the output and the trigger wire for the FBH, as its a simple circuit, even I could work it out :D

I covered the plate with some spare covering I had left over from when I recovered an old parcel shelf and popped it all in place.

I took the opportunity to add an Aux Power Socket I picked up for £2.50 on Ebay.

Tested and all working fine. I dont think its too bad for less than £7.00. :D:D

Dave:D

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 16:11 #1 

raistlin
That's a neat installation Dave - nicely done... and good idea :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 16:16 #2 

DaveyC
Thanks Paul. I had looked for the Webasto timer but to be honest, it doesn't do anymore that this cheap jobby from China. I have a remote on order and I'll be fitting that in a week or so. That way I'll have all my options covered :-)

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 16:23 #3 

kandyman
Well done Davey, looks a neat install.

I was wondering if it would look better if you extended the metal plate to cover the whole of the bottom of the cubby hole so its all the same colour ?

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 16:53 #4 

DaveyC
I'll look into that when I get chance, as I am fitting another aux power socket in the back of the car for my son to use on long journeys. :-)

Posted 05 Oct 2013, 17:23 #5 

paul d
Like the look of this Davey

Any chance of a link to the timer switch?

Regards

Paul

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 06:12 #6 

DaveyC
Hiya Paul,

Here it is, works a treat: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141023145948

Dave :-)

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 08:54 #7 

DaveyC
If you want a remote, I used this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370820622781

Dead simple wiring.

Red = Live
Black and one of the yellows = Earth
Second yellow = Pin 3 on FBH.

Works up to about 40 yards away.

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 08:57 #8 

paul d
Top man Cheers Davey

Kind of thing i like Nice & simple. Just like me LOL.

Regards

Paul

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 10:35 #9 

Duncan
I don't understand how those sellers get away with selling those. They are 315MHz which isn't legal anywhere in Europe. They are meant for the USA and a few other markets. We should be using 433MHz or 868MHz.

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 10:42 #10 

raistlin
Have you thought of arranging things so that the interior heater comes on at the same time? Nice warm engine and nice warm interior :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 10:43 #11 

DaveyC
Hi Paul,

I certainly have considered it. I have my eye on this:

From here: http://www.lewisrendal.co.uk/mediac/450 ... 355564.jpg

Guy is selling on Ebay, at what seems one item at a time: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181233194034? ... 1423.l2649

The plan long term is to get the ATC (Automatic Temperature Control) working on the GSM remote also.

Duncan, I had no idea the remote was illegal but these are all over Ebay, so its not just me with one and to be honest its used so little I am not sure it would cause much of an issue(??).

Dave :-)

Posted 13 Oct 2013, 11:13 #12