Farewell! by CDTi

  • Related topics: (no related topics)


CDTi
Sorry guys, I meant to post this on here but I've been busy sorting out stuff for the last few days. I already have it over on the Club site so please don't take offence that I'm a few days late here :). I know I haven't been on here all that much in the past while but I haven't been on the Club site either for a variety of reasons.

Anyway, I don't feel my departure from the MGR fold will cause imbalance in the universe :-D but most of the people I encountered when I first got my 75 are on here so I feel that should say goodbye here too in (virtual) person. I got great help when we were all over on the Club site in the early days. I was on there from the start (I think I was member number 33).

So it was with a heavy heart that I said goodbye to my Black Pearl Rover 75 last Saturday. After 9 years of (almost) trouble-free driving, I traded in my gorgeous 75 at noon

I had my 75 from new and some of you may recall that I added an array of extras/accessories over the years i.e. full Webasto FBH (Fuel burning heater.) kit with remote, lots of walnut bits, various double din units etc, etc, etc.

I decided to sell for a few reasons, none of which were really the cars fault and most were primarily financial i.e. despite having only 50K miles and being in fairly excellent condition with loads of extras, my CDTi is almost worthless - I might get €2000 if I was lucky. I have always changed the oil & filters regularly myself but I need to have a fairly expensive service shortly with fluids etc changed. Other stuff will also show up as its been heavy on fuel lately and smells of diesel quite a bit. Most of my daily journeys are short so the fuel system may need an overhaul. Other stuff like brake discs also need to be looked at. Hard to tell exactly how much the overall service would cost but I would like to get it done at a former main dealer so it might be as much as the car is worth.

Irish road tax on my 75 is a criminal €710 per annum. The tax on my new car is €200, a saving of over €500 per year. I suppose this was the clincher for me and it has been bugging me every May for the last few years that I am paying so much extra to tax my car.

The car I bought came with a scrappage allowance so I got a trade-in value of €4,800. When you consider what my car is worth for cash, that really is pretty decent. If I kept the car for any longer, it would be completely worthless barring another scrappage deal

So thats about it. I have enjoyed (almost ) every minute of ownership. I still think the car looks fantastic and both myself and my family had a small tear in our eye as we left the garage.

Now that the car is gone, I'll be selling a shed-full of accessories, bits and bobs that I've collected over the last 9 years e.g. full Webasto FBH with remote, Nav 2 Android and a load of smaller items.
:ireland:

Posted 04 May 2015, 22:54 #1 


PaulT
Not many things last forever and eventually we have to move on otherwise we would all still be driving around in our first car.

Such a shame though that it will be scrapped.
Paul

That apart Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play

Image

Posted 05 May 2015, 06:55 #2 

User avatar
Mick
(Site Admin)
That's a sad story Eamonn but, all for the best in the end.
You are / will always be a welcome visitor here. The knowledge you have gained over the last years will be of help to newcomers and oldies alike.
Please post your items for sale :)

Posted 05 May 2015, 11:04 #3 


CDTi
PaulT wrote:Not many things last forever and eventually we have to move on otherwise we would all still be driving around in our first car.

Such a shame though that it will be scrapped.
I think its unlikely to be scrapped.

While I traded it in under a "scrappage" scheme, its really an advertising campaign by Nissan to get market share IMHO. If I drove in in a banger, then it would be scrapped but I think my car will be passed on to the trade.
:ireland:

Posted 05 May 2015, 12:15 #4 


CDTi
Mick wrote:That's a sad story Eamonn but, all for the best in the end.
You are will always be a welcome visitor here. The knowledge you have gained over the last years will be of help to newcomers and oldies alike.
Please post your items for sale :)
Thanks Mick.

I'll post my items for sale in a while. Postage is a killer, though, on bigger/heavier items from Ireland to the UK.
:ireland:

Posted 05 May 2015, 12:16 #5 

User avatar
raistlin
Thanks for all your help in the past Eamonn :)

Nothing lasts forever though. I recently changed to another marque as well.

Good luck and i hope you are happy with your new toy.
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website
Image

Posted 05 May 2015, 12:20 #6 

User avatar
Duncan
Sad that you are going, I thought £250 a year was bad in the UK. I still remember meeting up and buying that Alloy, now on the car.
Image

Posted 05 May 2015, 17:50 #7 


CDTi
raistlin wrote:Thanks for all your help in the past Eamonn :)

Nothing lasts forever though. I recently changed to another marque as well.

Good luck and i hope you are happy with your new toy.
We were pioneers with the Eclipse double dins, Paul :-D

I didn't know you had changed. What are you driving now?
:ireland:

Posted 05 May 2015, 17:55 #8 


CDTi
Duncan wrote:Sad that you are going, I thought £250 a year was bad in the UK. I still remember meeting up and buying that Alloy, now on the car.
Yep, thats right, Duncan. Met you in Cashel.

Road tax and other motoring taxes are criminal here in Ireland.
:ireland:

Posted 05 May 2015, 17:56 #9 

User avatar
raistlin
CDTi wrote:I didn't know you had changed. What are you driving now?


Jaguar S Type Eamonn :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website
Image

Posted 05 May 2015, 18:02 #10 

User avatar
Duncan
CDTi wrote:
Duncan wrote:Sad that you are going, I thought £250 a year was bad in the UK. I still remember meeting up and buying that Alloy, now on the car.
Yep, thats right, Duncan. Met you in Cashel.

Road tax and other motoring taxes are criminal here in Ireland.


We still talk about lunch that day in a pub in Cashel. We asked what sandwiches they did, they told us anything we wanted. I was very tempted to ask for something ridiculous.
Image

Posted 05 May 2015, 18:20 #11 


Dave Goody
I'm afraid I too have had to part company with my ZT that I have had for 10 years. My wife ideally needs new knees and hopefully next year it will be done. She refuses my offer of going private, says " She has paid in all of her life for NHS and got bugger all back"! She found it almost impossible to get out of a low car if I parked next to a kerb so we had to get something higher. Also the dog was starting to mess up the black leather! Now driving a Nissan X Trail but can't get to love it I'm afraid although it does everything it says on the tin! I still look at the 75/ZT sites almost daily and post occasionally and will continue. Having spent the last 13 years in 75s and ZTs I have a feeling that 2 new knees may be followed by a ZTT sometime in the future.

Posted 06 May 2015, 13:13 #12 


CDTi
raistlin wrote:
CDTi wrote:I didn't know you had changed. What are you driving now?


Jaguar S Type Eamonn :)
Very nice, Paul :-P
:ireland:

Posted 06 May 2015, 16:27 #13 


CDTi
Duncan wrote:I was very tempted to ask for something ridiculous.
Braised octopus :-D
:ireland:

Posted 06 May 2015, 16:28 #14 


CDTi
Dave Goody wrote:I'm afraid I too have had to part company with my ZT that I have had for 10 years. My wife ideally needs new knees and hopefully next year it will be done. She refuses my offer of going private, says " She has paid in all of her life for NHS and got bugger all back"! She found it almost impossible to get out of a low car if I parked next to a kerb so we had to get something higher. Also the dog was starting to mess up the black leather! Now driving a Nissan X Trail but can't get to love it I'm afraid although it does everything it says on the tin! I still look at the 75/ZT sites almost daily and post occasionally and will continue. Having spent the last 13 years in 75s and ZTs I have a feeling that 2 new knees may be followed by a ZTT sometime in the future.
Lets face it, Nissans don't have the Xfactor, do they.

While I'm really liking mine, it lacks ..........something.

I actually sat in my old 75 today (I had to go back to the garage to get the towbar keys) and it really felt like I was back home. I didn't linger too long in case I tried to buy it back!
:ireland:

Posted 06 May 2015, 16:33 #15 

User avatar
raistlin
CDTi wrote:
raistlin wrote:
CDTi wrote:I didn't know you had changed. What are you driving now?


Jaguar S Type Eamonn :)
Very nice, Paul :-P


Just about the ONLY car that would ever replace my 75s Eamonn.

Tell you what though, the Jaguar owning forum communities are a completely different kettle of fish to the MG/R people, based upon my experience to date.

I had the temerity to ask how to replace the brake discs and got several snotty comments along the lines of "That's what Jaguar dealers are for."

Surely I can't be the only Jaguar owner who has a sense of fiscal responsibility, finite budget, and a sense of adventure :lol:
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website
Image

Posted 06 May 2015, 18:24 #16 


CDTi
raistlin wrote:Tell you what though, the Jaguar owning forum communities are a completely different kettle of fish to the MG/R people, based upon my experience to date.

I had the temerity to ask how to replace the brake discs and got several snotty comments along the lines of "That's what Jaguar dealers are for."

Surely I can't be the only Jaguar owner who has a sense of fiscal responsibility, finite budget, and a sense of adventure :lol:
Sounds like you wouldn't be asking about fitting a double din or an FBH then? :lol:
:ireland:

Posted 06 May 2015, 19:16 #17 

User avatar
Devilish
CDTi wrote:Irish road tax on my 75 is a criminal €710 per annum.

Jeeesus, I go to Ireland every year to the Treffen, and am booked to go in august for a week on Big Blue
Image
Image
Image
Image
roads are no better than here
If at first you don't succeed, hide the evidence.
Image

Posted 18 May 2015, 17:49 #18 

User avatar
raistlin
CDTi wrote:
raistlin wrote:Tell you what though, the Jaguar owning forum communities are a completely different kettle of fish to the MG/R people, based upon my experience to date.

I had the temerity to ask how to replace the brake discs and got several snotty comments along the lines of "That's what Jaguar dealers are for."

Surely I can't be the only Jaguar owner who has a sense of fiscal responsibility, finite budget, and a sense of adventure :lol:
Sounds like you wouldn't be asking about fitting a double din or an FBH then? :lol:


Already standard on my car Eamonn :)
Paul

Cogito ergo sum... maybe?

Click the image to go to Nano-Meet Website
Image

Posted 18 May 2015, 18:03 #19 


Top